COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
All im saying is that here we have a society where people travel over 50km by car to see their friends and family and people wonder why have ever growing mental health problems and people feel isolated.

I compare this to where my mother grew up and although the neighbourhood was much poorer they were all walking distance from each other and would actually meet up every night outside and just sit and talk in a common space. People would bring chairs from their homes and sit out in a court yard, share stories and food and the kids would play together.
Now something like this has to be an event, like a party or back yard bbq that happens occasionally.
I just don't see it anywhere in Melbourne.

I'm really getting off topic so I'll just conceed that I'm childish and we don't have a social isolation/mental health problem created by ridig economic class structures (it was all the kids and the innernet i tell ya what).
I moved thousands of km away from my family for my sanity! Everyone is different. I know it was hard on my wife not to have a family network close by when the kids were small. My family were a minimum of 700km away and 5,000 at worst, hers were on another hemisphere.

I grew up on the Sunshine coast. Be happy to live in the hinterland or on the water, nothing to do woth my childhood, friends or family.

Everyone has unique needs.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it’s a good watch. 60 minutes actually doing a proper story..

The narrative WHO were running at the start of all this is now looks like just more ccp infulence..
The question I wonder now is did the ccp purposely allow the virus to spread around the world or not? They could have contained it but chose not too. I wonder what their motives were? To save face, public order?? Or just negligence?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Go back 30 or so years ago things were very different in Australia, populations weren't as transient, people still moved for work but nowhere near they do these days and there wasn't the money around then as there is now, people relied on one another more often.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I dont believe it was deliberate to spread just the typical Asian wanting to save face, the CCP public order and failings of an authoritarian regime.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Middle aged lady in front of me at Supermarket wiping her nose on her hand: ‘No!’
The mind boggles that many people just seem to have no care for hygiene then get pissy when people like me tell them that it is understandable because we are just evolved primates and that behaviour runs deep.

Imagine what goes on when they are out of public view.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
All im saying is that here we have a society where people travel over 50km by car to see their friends and family and people wonder why have ever growing mental health problems and people feel isolated.

I compare this to where my mother grew up and although the neighbourhood was much poorer they were all walking distance from each other and would actually meet up every night outside and just sit and talk in a common space. People would bring chairs from their homes and sit out in a court yard, share stories and food and the kids would play together.
Now something like this has to be an event, like a party or back yard bbq that happens occasionally.
I just don't see it anywhere in Melbourne.

I'm really getting off topic so I'll just conceed that I'm childish and we don't have a social isolation/mental health problem created by ridig economic class structures (it was all the kids and the innernet i tell ya what).
The absende of community isn't necessarily a result of housing affordability. Our culture has changed significantly over the last 20 years, moving towards a more insular life style. I live in very close proximity to my neighbours and I have very little intention of interacting with them. Their dogs on the other hand...

Maybe we just need more dogs? They are the best people and those that don't like them are clearly monsters who should be going camping with oddjob.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The mind boggles that many people just seem to have no care for hygiene then get pissy when people like me tell them that it is understandable because we are just evolved primates and that behaviour runs deep.

Imagine what goes on when they are out of public view.
I don't think the Australian govt is doing enough myself in education and hospital wise;

Singapore prepared a lot better than most for it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just got an email from a shop (a few locals on this forum too, apologies if you are connected in any way)

I have spent a bit of cash here over the years, swags, 4WD gear, Sleeping bags, chairs and other stuff, maybe $3k-$4k spent at this company in the past.

Didn't know what to think when I got it, Profiteering or reinvention ???

Is their "face to be saved" in laying down and not taking advantage of this situation ?

Can reinvention be looked at as profiteering in the current climate if the prices are inflated.

Charging $30 for a $5-7 bottle of hand sanitiser that is still 3-4 weeks away.

https://www.kulkyne.com.au/clothing

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Can reinvention be looked at as profiteering in the current climate if the prices are inflated.
Cut them some slack. They're obviously in big trouble if they are venturing beyond their normal sales sector AND i'm sure that their wholesalers will be charging higher than standard rates anyway. They would have lost a lot of pre-easter trade also.