COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Cruise ships are trying to unload sick crew and passengers by appealing to the Australian sense of fairplay.
Since they are tax dodging, wage exploiting ,gluttony promoting cancers of the sea, people must have known they were dangerous , I have little sympathy and hope the owners all go broke after the class action.
There is no way other Australians should have to queue for ventilators cos these dickheads got in first and infected everyone.
Yep as you gathered I am not keen on them.
You missed industrial petri dish.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yes I
people keep saying this about me, yet most have never worked in anything approaching the hlth system.

in this era of social media upto date reporting the raw numbers tell sweet fa, i’d like to know the epidemiologists who had a wet dream putting up their graphs for govt’s touting exponential growth, you’ll need 400000 icu beds etc etc, our death rate is o.5% -still no healthy people or person under 35 have died from this virus..this tells you something. spanish flu had healthy young men dropping dead, the plague killed somewhere over 30%, some areas 1/2 of people died...these are serious

having both worked next to a cancer ward, and collecting samples from old people’s homes, these high risk people die from anything & everything, all the time...maybe people don’t realise -doesn’t matter whether it’s the flu, some diarrhoea virus, whatever, they die cos their immune systems are shot, they can’t stand up to anything...i just wish a lot more average people had this condition and we reported their actual symptoms/how they were affected, i stand by my statement of weeks ago this less noteworthy than influenza...even though they are both flu-like illnesses

& wtf tassie has just shut down the dish lickers & prostitutes..and have banned food vans from farmers mkt’s, but the farmers markets can continue..insanity
Yes I agree old people need to die of something but just wait til you get older.
Modelling is not perfect but way ahead of what ever comes second eg Trump, A Jones or A Bolts opinions and remember that the purpose of worst case scenarios is to scare complacent people, so if things dont turn out too bad well thats the point.
I have private bet with myself [ I am a twisted character ] that I know the people in our town who will likely die due to complacency and bad lifestyle.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Wife is ICU nurse. She’s briefed, and retrained daily. You’re cherry picking opinion pieces, stolen from os, that fit your narrative.
Similar, surrounded by friends who are in the health industry, intubation nursing, anaesthetists, etc. I listen to them.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Cruise ships are trying to unload sick crew and passengers by appealing to the Australian sense of fairplay.
Since they are tax dodging, wage exploiting ,gluttony promoting cancers of the sea, people must have known they were dangerous , I have little sympathy and hope the owners all go broke after the class action.
There is no way other Australians should have to queue for ventilators cos these dickheads got in first and infected everyone.
Yep as you gathered I am not keen on them.
I'm not one for denying people treatment for their ailments, but fuck me!!! Did these people board these ships after the virus was known to be a global shit storm? Most must have given the dates.

I can see this shit storm dragging on and crafty cruise ship operators offering a safe haven...all passengers must pass test and quarantine and they won't come back to shore til it's all over. Kind of the love boat meets Waterworld...

stirk

Burner
@Daniel Hale, sure covid19 might be like influenza as many world trumpians have stated, and it might not hurt most people. But it's new and adds to the 'normalised' deaths from already well established viruses and the associated stress in the health system that new viruses create. How can you not see this?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm not one for denying people treatment for their ailments, but fuck me!!! Did these people board these ships after the virus was known to be a global shit storm? Most must have given the dates.
Yes ! Until it was declared a border shut down around the 15-16th of March, travel insurance was not paying out as it was a pandemic.

A bloke that works with me boarded a Cruise ship destined for Southampton around 13th-15th March, only got from Sydney to Fremantle before it was abandoned. People are putting $$$ before health.

Currently 18 cruise ships floating off the Australian coast with 15,000 crew on board refusing to leave Aus waters, including one refusing to leave Fremantle harbor.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...embers-from-cruise-ships-off-australias-coast

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
people keep saying this about me, yet most have never worked in anything approaching the hlth system.

in this era of social media upto date reporting the raw numbers tell sweet fa, i’d like to know the epidemiologists who had a wet dream putting up their graphs for govt’s touting exponential growth, you’ll need 400000 icu beds etc etc, our death rate is o.5% -still no healthy people or person under 35 have died from this virus..this tells you something. spanish flu had healthy young men dropping dead, the plague killed somewhere over 30%, some areas 1/2 of people died...these are serious

having both worked next to a cancer ward, and collecting samples from old people’s homes, these high risk people die from anything & everything, all the time...maybe people don’t realise -doesn’t matter whether it’s the flu, some diarrhoea virus, whatever, they die cos their immune systems are shot, they can’t stand up to anything...i just wish a lot more average people had this condition and we reported their actual symptoms/how they were affected, i stand by my statement of weeks ago this less noteworthy than influenza...even though they are both flu-like illnesses

& wtf tassie has just shut down the dish lickers & prostitutes..and have banned food vans from farmers mkt’s, but the farmers markets can continue..insanity
Working in the health system what was the health care like in 1918? How about around the plague? Would young people still have died at the same rate if they had a ventilator? The spanish flu was mega infectious and circled the world without all the international flights we have now.. Nearly all data on pandemic’s show the biggest killer viruses are the one’s with a low fatality rate but high RO..
Coronavirus is putting a significant amount of under 50’s into hospital, fatalities are very very low though. Is that because the hospital treatment stopped the sickness progressing unlike what happened with the spanish flu?
Here is some interesting early hospitalisation data;

Doesn’t seem to be a harmless virus for the sub 50’s.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
@Daniel Hale
...A bloke that works with me boarded a Cruise ship destined for Southampton around 13th-15th March, only got from Sydney to Fremantle before it was abandoned. People are putting $$$ before health...
He's now probably one of the ones complaining about being in forced isolation in a hotel. Yeah, sure we trust you to self isolate, its not like you did something a little while ago that demonstrated a complete disregard for others...

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

We should've listened.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Pretty sure I heard about a 1yo dying from it on ABC RN this morning?

Not to mention the flu will transfer 1 person and maybe someone else, bit covid19 will get at least 2 and probably a third?

Or the 200,000 infected and 1000 dead in one city in what, two months?

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about in those stats @Daniel Hale

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I'm pretty sure a 13yo and a 19yo did in the UK overnight too from reports, both with supposedly no underlying health issues. Heartbreaking to think of anyone doing alone in a hospital let alone a thirteen year old. Those poor parents couldn't even be with him. No influenza is doing that.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty sure I heard about a 1yo dying from it on ABC RN this morning?

Not to mention the flu will transfer 1 person and maybe someone else, bit covid19 will get at least 2 and probably a third?

Or the 200,000 infected and 1000 dead in one city in what, two months?

I'm sure there's nothing to worry about in those stats @Daniel Hale
Yes unfortunately a number of infants have died now and a number of young children, statistically a small number but if one of them was my kids I would not give a rats arse about what percentage he/she was.

I'm pretty sure they aren't building hospitals in central park (now already with patients) and in warehouses across the world for the hell of it but if Daniel actually wanted the truth there are approximately 6 billion articles on the internet to find it. There are also no shortage of people who believe the world is flat, so if you look in some corner of the web I'm sure something will support the theory of just carry on even if every country in the world thinks otherwise.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I don't think comparing COVID-19 to the Spanish Flu or the plague is a good analogy either, given they are so long ago in terms of advances in health care as @Kerplunk said.

@Daniel Hale, I respect your right to your opinion but arguably the reason why Australia appears to be faring well is because of the action the government has taken. Our favourable numbers are not because COVID-19 is not a serious disease, it's because of what we're doing as a nation. Young people may not be dying here yet because:
a) our health system is still presently able to cope with all cases that need ventilating;
b) two thirds of our cases have been returning elderly travellers on cruise ships; and
c) we do not have a lot of community transmission at this point - not many young people have caught it here yet.

What do you say to your parents or grandparents about the severity of COVID-19? How do they respond? How would you feel not being able to be with them as they drown in their own body fluid in an ICU bed?

As the parent of an asthmatic daughter and with other family members also at increased risk, the notion that "they were going to die anyway, COVID-19 helped things along but it was really the pre-existing condition that killed them" is ludicrous. My daughter didn't choose to be asthmatic but can otherwise live a long life with that condition if properly managed. I'll be fucked if I'm going to roll the dice on herd immunity with COVID-19 and potentially be responsible for the death of a family member. I don't know any parent in a functional family that wouldn't forsake all their material wealth to save the life of a child. Our government obviously feels similarly for the people of this country and I for one am glad they do.

Regardless of the age of those that are dying, there's no arguing downplaying the severity of the disease and that doing less costs lives - just look at the clusterfuck playing out in the US because Trump has his head up his arse. His lack of action will directly cause 100,000+ deaths but he won't give a shit because he's a socipathic narcissist. Let's have more people like him in the world that think COVID-19 is nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I have private bet with myself [ I am a twisted character ] that I know the people in our town who will likely die due to complacency and bad lifestyle.
That's what concerns me when I look at my town...it is not fun going in when all you can is 'probably not fucked by Covid-19', ' might be fucked by Covid-19' and 'almost certainly fucked by Covid-19'.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

You don't think that it's a little early to be looking at mortality rates in Australia?

The United States is projecting from 100-250,000 deaths.