COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

placebo

Likes Dirt
While the pokies are shutdown, Australians are saving $38 Million A DAY!!!!

The industry was all set to seize a record $25 billion in losses from gamblers in 2020.
People are still gambling a lot. The highest grossing apps on apple app store are poky apps. You can play the same games as the real machines on your ipad. You can put money in, but it's not classed as gambling because you can't get winnings out lol. Also the TAB has been primarily focused on moving ticket and EBT punters to their app, so this shutdown of venues will help their long term goal.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I do love a cheap meal! Do I need to play the pokies to get my taste buds on one?
I don't know, I'm not a member of any clubs since I don't see anything of interest at those places for me, times when I've visited them a 'guest member' then I just saw enough and don't need to go there again any time soon.

And much revenue will be lost by the government through online gambling. Hopefully this flows into some clamping down on that as revenge/spite. That seems to be the main motivator of the ruling classes
Depends if the said gambling company is incorporated in the Bahamas or the Isle of Man or another shady tax haven.
I'm not adverse to folks making money though but the lure of gambling is addictive which is only going to mean trouble.

Gambling is voluntary stupidity tax and you have to master your own domain on that one.

slowmick

38-39"
Thanks team - I think I am going to try and go back to riding at 5am when there is much less joe public. At the start of my ride I was so happy for all the families out exercising in the sunshine while the car park at the local Westfield was deserted. I am still hoping that this will continue in some form post lock down.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not adverse to folks making money though but the lure of gambling is addictive which is only going to mean trouble.
pokies have an evil genius to them to become addictive. A perfect timing of reward and flashing lights to keep you going even though all logic says you're being totally screwed. If they could apply that sort of reinforcement to lift people up, use their powers for good, that effort could yield great rewards,

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
pokies have an evil genius to them to become addictive. A perfect timing of reward and flashing lights to keep you going even though all logic says you're being totally screwed. If they could apply that sort of reinforcement to lift people up, use their powers for good, that effort could yield great rewards,
"We" don't want that.

I don't know, I'm not a member of any clubs since I don't see anything of interest at those places for me, times when I've visited them a 'guest member' then I just saw enough and don't need to go there again any time soon.

Depends if the said gambling company is incorporated in the Bahamas or the Isle of Man or another shady tax haven.

Gambling is voluntary stupidity tax and you have to master your own domain on that one.
I am smugly confident of just how popular those tax havens are for this kind of business, but am open to being proven wrong in my conceptions.

Thanks team - I think I am going to try and go back to riding at 5am when there is much less joe public. At the start of my ride I was so happy for all the families out exercising in the sunshine while the car park at the local Westfield was deserted. I am still hoping that this will continue in some form post lock down.
Just buy a lance. Ordinarily I'd recommend mace or hammer, but the old 1.5m rule...you don't want to get zombie goo and corona goo on you at the same time.

People are still gambling a lot. The highest grossing apps on apple app store are poky apps. You can play the same games as the real machines on your ipad. You can put money in, but it's not classed as gambling because you can't get winnings out lol. Also the TAB has been primarily focused on moving ticket and EBT punters to their app, so this shutdown of venues will help their long term goal.
I feel this lock down will be driving problem gambling through the roof and there will be a significant change from going out to gamble to staying home. What people gamble on will probably undergo a shift as well. With the reduction in available sports betting, some people will be turning to other avenues. Not all of them will turn back.

I think there will be a similar result with drinking as well. Going out to drink has a long list of hassles that some people will decide aren't worth dealing with anymore. Things like no need to work out how to get home, drinks are cheaper, less fighting or exposure to random violence (though also perhaps more domestic violence), no body cutting you off, drink it how you want (most of NSW has restrictions on how liquor can be served), you can chose the music...will there be a surge in the sale of 1/4 sized pool tables?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
But isn't it the social aspect of pokies that keeps people coming back?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Slowmick with the fast hands! we’d have had to change your custom title to budget dozer if you started throwing haymakers.

I’d put money down that Ol’ mate doggens felt pretty stupid after his little tantrum too.
Middle-aged cunt with dogs appears to be of the bitchy passive-aggressive type. he probably writes bitchy emails to newspapers or delights in posting in comments sections.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Same applies to phone and video games and the look of many retails environments.
We are reward driven and that can be easily used against you.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yarra Trails? @slowmick @Kerplunk

I have seen so many people out there the last couple of weeks with zero situational awareness. It’s like going to the snow at Buller, the really dangerous stuff is not the black runs it’s sharing Bourke St with all the numpties

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
But isn't it the social aspect of pokies that keeps people coming back?
This is why I don't understand the whole club thing. I thought a club should be something of team kind of thing but it a paid to enter place hubbed around gambling.

Why you would want to spend extended amounts of time inside pumping $$$ into a machine with preset payout ratios that won't be in your favour is something that beats me. Each to their own.

ForkinGreat

This is why I don't understand the whole club thing. I thought a club should be something of team kind of thing but it a paid to enter place hubbed around gambling.

Why you would want to spend extended amounts of time inside pumping $$$ into a machine with preset payout ratios that won't be in your favour is something that beats me. Each to their own.
because some people are, unfortunately, dumbcunts.

ForkinGreat

I have seen so many people out there the last couple of weeks with zero situational awareness. It’s like going to the snow at Buller, the really dangerous stuff is not the black runs it’s sharing Bourke St with all the numpties
my fave bike path was crowded last night. mostly walkers and jogger zombies - fucking hate joggers atm, due to a perception that they might be asymptomatic and huffing covid-19 everywhere. I actually saw one running with a surgical mask on.

I got off the path and onto a main road. Ironically, I felt much safer. much less traffic on the roads. that might change slightly now Easter weekend is over.

Has anyone got one of those respro pollution filter masks and worn it riding?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I do love a cheap meal! Do I need to play the pokies to get my taste buds on one?
The MTB club is affiliated with the Memorial Sporting Club, and we get most of our yearly funding from their grants. Double edged sword right there. They get most of their income from the pokies. So no pokies means no community grants.

Having said that, I've been going to that club for decades, and I've only put $10 into a pokie, and it was someone else's. The meals a generally fantastic

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Yep.. I’m more than happy to have everyone out exercising, but your right there is a lot out there with absolutely no idea what a shared trail is.
The ahole dog owners of Banyule just keep on doing what they always do without any consideration to the 1000% increase in trail/path users.. I noticed Moonee Valley council now require dogs on lead everywhere now, even in dog parks.. Pretty hard to keep social distance if ol doggo has caught the bat flu..

slowmick

38-39"
@sane - outer east (knox) bike tracks for me. The families are generally fine - so many dads with a million kids, bikes, scooters and dogs over the last couple of week. looks like mum has said - just get out of the house. The ones driving me nuts are the ones with the over ear head phones watching movies or talking on the phone, the dogs off leads and the ladies social distancing on opposite sides of the path. I am however getting far too many giggles from the gym bros who've always skipped leg day who are now reduced to walking. That I am wondering if people are meeting up for "walks" with the tinder friends. There is a lot of well dressed, fully manicured couples walking together. No boggy tracky pants with ice cream/pasta stained t-shirts like a good married couple...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The MTB club is affiliated with the Memorial Sporting Club, and we get most of our yearly funding from their grants. Double edged sword right there. They get most of their income from the pokies. So no pokies means no community grants.

Having said that, I've been going to that club for decades, and I've only put $10 into a pokie, and it was someone else's. The meals a generally fantastic
Cut out the middle man. See if Centrelink is prepared to provide the grant in the club's stead.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Cut out the middle man. See if Centrelink is prepared to provide the grant in the club's stead.
There will be plenty of not going options. Let's not pretend the dirty money is good because it helps some things...

How come we aren't seeing as much of scomo bungling his was through this? He hasn't gone to Hawaii again has he?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
you sound like an aggro lot
here its not dog eat dog, we smile and wave at everyone la la la.
Probably the worst ever was an overweight girl walking down the middle of Thunderbolt at Falls with head phones screaming so loud that she didnt hear when I called out.
I had to stop and make physical contact for her to realise we were there.
Dont know what I would do now w social distancing prolly have to run into her ?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
There will be plenty of not going options. Let's not pretend the dirty money is good because it helps some things...
If your local pub/club wanted to give you cash to support MTB trails and races, you cant read down its list of attributes to the bit you don't agree with and knock it back.

Nek minnit the vegans will be off on one for selling meat in the bistro.