COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Nek minnit the vegans will be off on one for selling meat in the bistro."

Sounds like a Dodgey or / Awesome pick up line ...

Yanno like ,
' bunch of bananas on Tuesday night in the cereal aisle '

Jpez

Down on the left!
you sound like an aggro lot
here its not dog eat dog, we smile and wave at everyone la la la.
Probably the worst ever was an overweight girl walking down the middle of Thunderbolt at Falls with head phones screaming so loud that she didnt hear when I called out.
I had to stop and make physical contact for her to realise we were there.
Dont know what I would do now w social distancing prolly have to run into her ?
Unfortunately the combination of cabin fever and the masses of people walking everywhere has soured people. especially in the inner city or inner suburbs.

The first week when there were less people trying to find something more interesting to walk than their own block everybody was nodding and waving and having a jolly old time.
Now it’s just gotten old, everyone is walking around like zombies,bored shitless, the fuckwits are fuckwits and the truly paranoid folks are doing huge loops around people and glancing at you out of the corner of their eye incase you decide to go for the jugular zombie style.

@slowmick i had a similar incident to you. Whole family stopped on the path. I dinged my bell and then dinged again when dad only moved real slow out of the way.
Screamed at me as I went past so did a u turn to try and tell him that if he stayed stopped there a dick roadie on a strava segment will end up cleaning him up.
Well that didn’t go down too well, got yelled at some more so I said have a nice day and kept riding. A younger me would have snotted him.

People are stressed.

placebo

Likes Dirt
pokies have an evil genius to them to become addictive. A perfect timing of reward and flashing lights to keep you going even though all logic says you're being totally screwed. If they could apply that sort of reinforcement to lift people up, use their powers for good, that effort could yield great rewards,
But isn't it the social aspect of pokies that keeps people coming back?

Problem gamblers aren't social, and the reward schemes/psychology used in pokies are now implemented in most popular pay to play mobile games not just those that replicate pokies.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If your local pub/club wanted to give you cash to support MTB trails and races, you cant read down its list of attributes to the bit you don't agree with and knock it back.

Nek minnit the vegans will be off on one for selling meat in the bistro.
I have. When I was in the charity game I turned back a bunch of money from sources that didn't align with the values we represented. It wasn't an issue as I knew enough funds would come in from suitable avenues. But I'm not saying that clubs should be turning the cold shoulder to money, a lot of coins are formed out of their association with sporting teams. Let's call them...leagues clubs for example. That doesn't make money raised from problem gambling nice and clean. Alcohol isn't to different either, nor cigarettes. Let's throw in coal mines as well. I just think that there should be and will be plenty of avenues for money pop up when/if the gaming industry falls down. It is a sad state of affairs for a sophisticated wealthy and obese nation like ours that our grass roots sporting associations are so reliant on it at present. Not to mention our governments... their level of reliance creates some very grey decision making.

AND! I have experienced people refusing to make donations if I was unable to guarantee that meet would not be served to the kids I worked with. Apparently it is possible to have a delicious and nutritious bbq without meat. I remain sceptical.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately the combination of cabin fever and the masses of people walking everywhere has soured people. especially in the inner city or inner suburbs.
People seem more relaxed in my neck of the woods (inner Northern Perth) but they are definitely out in their thousands!

The first week when there were less people trying to find something more interesting to walk than their own block everybody was nodding and waving and having a jolly old time.
Now it’s just gotten old, everyone is walking around like zombies,bored shitless, the fuckwits are fuckwits and the truly paranoid folks are doing huge loops around people and glancing at you out of the corner of their eye incase you decide to go for the jugular zombie style.

@slowmick i had a similar incident to you. Whole family stopped on the path. I dinged my bell and then dinged again when dad only moved real slow out of the way.
Screamed at me as I went past so did a u turn to try and tell him that if he stayed stopped there a dick roadie on a strava segment will end up cleaning him up.
Well that didn’t go down too well, got yelled at some more so I said have a nice day and kept riding. A younger me would have snotted him.

People are stressed.
It's fucked, got snaked on a two foot wave this morn by a sea sweeper.

Outta control.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm enjoying the extra dog traffic. Love a good random dog pat. If one gets in my way in the bike it's a good excuse to pat it.
Careful, you'll get dog warts dude.

Local trails were packed again. Mostly kiss, lots and lots of kids with no idea about distance. There was a mum with about 1/2 dozen kids, all looked well under 10. The kids were everywhere with no trail sense and climbing all over each other. It gets pretty dangerous when tiny kids are popping up all over the place.

The number of unsupervised kids out there too, around the 10-12 years of age, was surprising. Is that a thing now? Just dump your kids in the forest and (don't) hope they come home?

Jpez

Down on the left!
People seem more relaxed in my neck of the woods (inner Northern Perth) but they are definitely out in their thousands!
Yeah around our actual neighbor hood it’s friendlier than ever.
Just the walking tracks and bike paths which I’ve started to avoid are teeming with people all getting in each other’s way.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have. When I was in the charity game I turned back a bunch of money from sources that didn't align with the values we represented. It wasn't an issue as I knew enough funds would come in from suitable avenues. But I'm not saying that clubs should be turning the cold shoulder to money, a lot of coins are formed out of their association with sporting teams.
Charities are a whole different ball game than a small town MTB club.

MTB clubs don't have a queue of people throwing cash at them and trails are not going to build or look after themselves . Actually when it comes to giving back and doing some trail work days, MTBers in general are selfish pricks... looking forward to see the e-bikers that are wearing the trails out twice as fast, chipping in.

Having a sporting association, pub, club or even a business involved with something you may not align your values with, donating cash to build trails or sponsoring races is absolute gold !

Maybe they are offsetting their perceived badness with some good ?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe...it's not a black and white scenario. like I said, a lot of clubs are directly tied to community projects of some sort. The easy example here is footballs. I'd much rather see that money go to bikes.

I'll agree that e-bikes seem to increase trail wear. Do they use e-shovels on build days? I watched a fat middle aged E-biker case my jump this afternoon. So lame...it's an easy jump.

ozzybmx

I'll agree that e-bikes seem to increase trail wear. Do they use e-shovels on build days? I watched a fat middle aged E-biker case my jump this afternoon. So lame...it's an easy jump.
They shout from the rooftops, how awesome it is to cover twice the amount of ground, at twice the speed in half the time.... still haven't see one on single time with a mattock.

stirk

Burner
Careful, you'll get dog warts dude.

Local trails were packed again. Mostly kiss, lots and lots of kids with no idea about distance. There was a mum with about 1/2 dozen kids, all looked well under 10. The kids were everywhere with no trail sense and climbing all over each other. It gets pretty dangerous when tiny kids are popping up all over the place.

The number of unsupervised kids out there too, around the 10-12 years of age, was surprising. Is that a thing now? Just dump your kids in the forest and (don't) hope they come home?
My mountain trails near to empty, I see tyre marks and lyre birds and Wallaby. There are some send rocks, kids would hate these trails, too hard and parents find them too remote. So much bliss in the mountains. Need a tree change?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
This is why I don't understand the whole club thing. I thought a club should be something of team kind of thing but it a paid to enter place hubbed around gambling.

Why you would want to spend extended amounts of time inside pumping $$$ into a machine with preset payout ratios that won't be in your favour is something that beats me. Each to their own.
Had to have this discussion with my just turned eighteen year old son recently, went out with his mates just after his birthday, he put a few bucks in the pokies and pulled out 2k... I'm glad for you mate but life doesn't always work like that.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

People are stressed.
They might be stressed, but there's no need for them to act like cunts, dumb cunts at that.

ozzybmx

my just turned eighteen year old son recently, went out with his mates just after his birthday, he put a few bucks in the pokies and pulled out 2k.
Damn, a bad thing to experience at recently 18, would have been better if he lost the few bucks... the lil shits know everything as it is, hopefully he realises it was luck and doesn't think he's some golden boy and it's easy cash.

I wait with baited breath for my 2 know-it-alls reaching that age.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Damn, a bad thing to experience at recently 18, would have been better if he lost the few bucks... the lil shits know everything as it is, hopefully he realises it was luck and doesn't think he's some golden boy and it's easy cash.

I wait with baited breath for my 2 know-it-alls reaching that age.
He's a pretty good level headed kid but the peer pressure is strong, this is one part of the COVID that I'm actually thankful for.

Just get him to put his $2k back into the machines. Simple!
Won't someone think of the children