COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I heard a rumour...might not be true...that nursing home COVID19 deaths aren’t being counted in the tally in the US. And there’s been over 15k. I hope I’m wrong.
UK is the same, their death tally is only counting deaths in hospitals. Kinda ironic how everyone is bleating about China manipulating their numbers when most other places are selectively counting fatalities and testing methods are so varied. Just to note for the record I don't believe a skerrick of what China puts out about the number of cases and fatalities!

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
...sounds like nsw easing some restrictions from friday. would have thought vic was in a better position to do that first?

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
...sounds like nsw easing some restrictions from friday. would have thought vic was in a better position to do that first?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...o-be-relaxed-gladys-berejiklian-says/12190284

Surely Victoria would be looking at doing something too - very few new cases over the last week or so.

Here's some stats on how Aussies feel about the situation (more charts here):

More stress and boredom as you'd expect, but also interesting that feelings of optimism and happiness have also risen. Possibly due to people spending more time at home and a greater sense of community?

edit: since corrected because I'm an idiot - optimism & happiness trending downward.

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...o-be-relaxed-gladys-berejiklian-says/12190284

Surely Victoria would be looking at doing something too - very few new cases over the last week or so.

Here's some stats on how Aussies feel about the situation (more charts here):
View attachment 362591

More stress and boredom as you'd expect, but also interesting that feelings of optimism and happiness have also risen. Possibly due to people spending more time at home and a greater sense of community?
Optimism and happiness have a left arrow which I understand to be reducing...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Congrats, 'Murica!

Also check out Canadia - very similar country to Straya, out of fucking control.
I get that your post was sarcastic but I really think that we should be congratulating New Zealand, because of their quick and decisive action along with clear and articulate communication from their leaders they appear to have gotten damn close to eradicating community transmission all together.

moorey

call me Mia
Speak for yourself, not others. Caution is one thing, illogcal paranoia and ignorance of broader issues is another.
I’m speaking for pretty much everyone I know, not just myself.
I think YOU'RE the one seemingly trying to speak for everyone. Can you tell me about this illogical paranoia and ignorance?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think we Vics generally have faith in what Andrews is doing and are happy to err on the side of caution for the moment.
I think this would be wise for NSW too. We are a state of selfish nongs, just look at our beaches! But we are...open for business.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Speak for yourself, not others. Caution is one thing, illogcal paranoia and ignorance of broader issues is another.
There does seem to have been an absence of looking over health and community issues for the sake of continuing this one issue. I personally have experienced very negative impact from all of this lock down. But I would rather see things stay locked down a little longer then rushing back to BAU. In saying that I'd also like to see resources and plans thrown at the wider issues bing sidelined by the covid focus.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Since when has quarantining healthy people been a logical measure? It's never been done at any other time. Current active cases in Victoria number about 50, and dropping by the day. Hardly a "crisis" by now, yet Andrews is still carrying on as if we're all going to get dead if we look at someone the wrong way. Propagating an attitude of fear opens up a whole raft of other problems that are massively outweighing the one they're contentrating on.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Vigilance is different to "propagating fear". At no point in this has the Andrews govt been anything but extremely clear and straightforward about the risks posed by COVID and the chosen approach to suppression.

The reality is, you only have the luxury of saying this is 'hardly a "crisis" by now' because of the lockdown actions taken, not in spite of them. To then use that as support for an argument that ongoing lockdown is "illogical paranoia and ignoran[t] of broader issues" is cognitive dissonance at its finest.

To co-opt a famous RBG quote - it's "like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet"

moorey

call me Mia
Vigilance is different to "propagating fear". At no point in this has the Andrews govt been anything but extremely clear and straightforward about the risks posed by COVID and the chosen approach to suppression.

The reality is, you only have the luxury of saying this is 'hardly a "crisis" by now' because of the lockdown actions taken, not in spite of them. To then use that as support for an argument that ongoing lockdown is "illogical paranoia and ignoran[t] of broader issues" is cognitive dissonance at it's finest.

To co-opt a famous RBG quote - it's "like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet"
Super strong agree.