COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Apart from the fact that the pub and the schools are still shut and you can only get takeaway coffee from our cafe's...our little town is pretty much back to normal.

The second wave is going to take everyone by surprise...
I took my boys out 3-4 weeks early from school hols, they were back on Monday at school, the community movement is still way below what it was, the SA infection and total rate is now zero for 6 days in succession. If they can control the SA border, we'll be ok soon.

The zero cases and zero infections for 6 days is looking up. The borders will be the big battle. Many dirt roads for those who want to come here.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I get the feeling we are going a touch early on resuming the “economy”.. Your in the ACT though yeah? Numbers suggest that it’s one of the safest places at least.. Not great though..
We aren’t even in winter yet and scomo wants to hit the throttle.. Thank fuck for the vic cho down here who is digging in.. Sars-cov2 is an upper respiratory disease, it doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure out that respiratory viruses are at their worse in the colder months... I don’t have the answers but for everything that has been sacrificed you want to be sure as shit before opening widely..
Deputy CMO said today that we’re not going for elimination like NZ has, but have been preparing to test widely and jump on outbreaks when they occur. So far Australia has performed over half a million tests nationally. SA has the highest per capita test rate and has had no new cases in a week, with less draconian lockdown measures than elsewhere. Dan Andrews wants to test another 100k people before mid May to make a more informed decision on relaxing restrictions. Twiggy Forrest has secured another 10 million PCR tests to ensure we can conduct widespread community testing - that’s 20x the number of tests already done. 84% of cases are now recovered with less than 1000 still active across the country. The number of ICU beds has trebled since it all started too. And don’t forget the app!

I’m sure my earlier posts in this thread sound like Chicken Little, but the situation is a lot less scary now and it is time to start getting those people most impacted by the lockdown back to work. We’ve got an arsenal of options now to actively manage pockets of infection and very little community transmission in many parts of the country. Aside from a vaccine, what further measures could we have in place before we start thawing out the economy? Remember that plenty of workplaces have remained open throughout the crisis, followed the physical distancing requirements and yet rates of infection continue to decline.

It will be a gradual easing of restrictions anyway, so it will still be quite a while before we see pubs and clubs reopen, and widespread travel permitted again. You can bet your balls that the slightest level of noncompliance won’t be tolerated either - restrictions can be quickly reinstated if people go stupid.

A challenge will be differentiating between normal seasonal flu and COVID-19 over winter. Everyone with a sniffle will need to be tested for the virus, and to isolate until cleared.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Well presented article - would love to read more detail. People generally lack imagination about how things could change under crisis.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Deputy CMO said today that we’re not going for elimination like NZ has, but have been preparing to test widely and jump on outbreaks when they occur. So far Australia has performed over half a million tests nationally. SA has the highest per capita test rate and has had no new cases in a week, with less draconian lockdown measures than elsewhere. Dan Andrews wants to test another 100k people before mid May to make a more informed decision on relaxing restrictions. Twiggy Forrest has secured another 10 million PCR tests to ensure we can conduct widespread community testing - that’s 20x the number of tests already done. 84% of cases are now recovered with less than 1000 still active across the country. The number of ICU beds has trebled since it all started too. And don’t forget the app!
The reason I think it’s a tad early to reopen is because we don’t have wide baseline testing to find out the real level of community transmission. Vic are testing all ages and doing random testing on construction sites/hospital workers etc also doing sewage testing.. It’s a bit over a week or so to get that data then the cho will make his decision..
Thats why I say it’s a little bit too early.. It’s not that big of an ask considering what we have done already.. We are on jobkeeper in our household so don’t think my opinion comes from one of privilege..
Every state is different same with regional areas, so what Victoria does isn’t relevant to SA WA etc..

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Not disagreeing with you at all @Kerplunk and it was certainly not my intention to do so. Given the declining number of infections and the massive increase in preparedness though, it is appropriate to now start looking at the exit strategy for the sake of the economy. That doesn't stop people from continuing to work from home where they can and keeping up distancing measures when out and about.

Federal and state governments have done a pretty good job so far; I have faith that they will continue to make appropriate and informed decisions when it comes to getting the country moving again too. Each state will do what's best for their own circumstances; Victoria is right to go on a 2-week test blitz to better understand levels of community transmission before considering the relaxation of any restrictions.

Getting people to stick to the restrictions when the infection risk has been greatly reduced is going to become more difficult as each day passes with only a handful of new cases being reported. The PM and premiers need to start being clear and open about the forward plans and timelines for recovery in order to convince people to 'hang in there just a bit longer' if it means we achieve a much better outcome down the track.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Not disagreeing with you at all @Kerplunk and it was certainly not my intention to do so. Given the declining number of infections and the massive increase in preparedness though, it is appropriate to now start looking at the exit strategy for the sake of the economy. That doesn't stop people from continuing to work from home where they can and keeping up distancing measures when out and about.

Federal and state governments have done a pretty good job so far; I have faith that they will continue to make appropriate and informed decisions when it comes to getting the country moving again too. Each state will do what's best for their own circumstances; Victoria is right to go on a 2-week test blitz to better understand levels of community transmission before considering the relaxation of any restrictions.

Getting people to stick to the restrictions when the infection risk has been greatly reduced is going to become more difficult as each day passes with only a handful of new cases being reported. The PM and premiers need to start being clear and open about the forward plans and timelines for recovery in order to convince people to 'hang in there just a bit longer' if it means we achieve a much better outcome down the track.
Definitely. Our leaders need to treat the population like adults and not a naughty 5yo who just threw their pasta at the curtain.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How many COVID-19 cases has it resulted in?
It is impossible to say either way, without the use of the crystal ball. When it has all passed there will be a plethora of back patting and trumpet blowing, ranging from scomo telling us all how good a job he did down to people claiming it was all a hoax. Around here the compliance of people has been the driver of any success, not enforcement. There has been and continues to be plenty of people very openly flaunting the restrictions and blind eyes turned.