COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
The Queen wished us all well which I think was really nice of her.

On an angrier note, Frydenberg has started talking about industrial relations deregulation to get the economy going again.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The Queen wished us all well which I think was really nice of her.

On an angrier note, Frydenberg has started talking about industrial relations deregulation to get the economy going again.
Yes, thats been talked about for a while now. It’s great cover for pursuing right wing ideologies, the IPA’s wet dream. Fossil fuels, big business handouts, workplace relations, all the usual stuff.

Sadly the opportunities for real change will be wasted.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yes, thats been talked about for a while now. It’s great cover for pursuing right wing ideologies, the IPAs wet dream. Fossil fuels, big business handouts, workplace relations, all the usual stuff.

Sadly the opportunities for real change will be wasted.
Not a fan of IPAs. Too fruity.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
LNP published a manifesto out maybe 5 years ago regarding deregulating the electrical and plumbing trades, proposing scrapping apprenticeships and making the license test solely competency based.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
LNP published a manifesto out maybe 5 years ago regarding deregulating the electrical and plumbing trades, proposing scrapping apprenticeships and making the license test solely competency based.

That is going to be an interesting journey.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A station manager on a project i worked on was making a name for himself providing skills training. Great in theory and 80% practice but also he had the idea that no trade should endure a 4 year apprenticeship and said that his team could train anyone to be a boilermaker in 4 weeks. Downhand welder of clean plate or pipe, yes, maybe. Boilermaker? No. We didn't see eye to eye. Had a number of excellent conversations but not as colourful as those he had with the unions. His secretary who printed up the certs strangely graduated with a full set of certificates in her year working there.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A station manager on a project i worked on was making a name for himself providing skills training. Great in theory and 80% practice but also he had the idea that no trade should endure a 4 year apprenticeship and said that his team could train anyone to be a boilermaker in 4 weeks. Downhand welder of clean plate or pipe, yes, maybe. Boilermaker? No. We didn't see eye to eye. Had a number of excellent conversations but not as colourful as those he had with the unions. His secretary who printed up the certs strangely graduated with a full set of certificates in her year working there.
She must have been very studious!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I'm a mechanical engineer now, but I'm a Boilermaker by trade and there is no way you can be a competent Boilermaker in 4 weeks. Yes you could run a reasonable weld on a Mig welder but not that much else. After 4 years of an apprenticeship you will only just be useful for most jobs a Boilermaker. I even recommend to new apprentices to work at a few different workshops after their apprenticeship is done. You learn something new at every place you work at and the range of a Boilermaker is pretty broad.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm a mechanical engineer now, but I'm a Boilermaker by trade and there is no way you can be a competent Boilermaker in 4 weeks. Yes you could run a reasonable weld on a Mig welder but not that much else. After 4 years of an apprenticeship you will only just be useful for most jobs a Boilermaker. I even recommend to new apprentices to work at a few different workshops after their apprenticeship is done. You learn something new at every place you work at and the range of a Boilermaker is pretty broad.
Yes, I am a mechanical enginner too, guy was trying to enlist my support. His argument was that we took tradies and turned them into certified tube welders or big bore welders in 4 weeks what is the difference? Ah, the 4 years before that and we only trained up good tradies who wanted to be tubies.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Getting coffee in my old 'hood. I see a known heroin addict dazed and staggering down the street. He gets to the crossing and bumps the pedestrian button. Wisely (?) He chooses to use his elbow, to avoid infection I'm guessing, rather than hand.

Whether the elbow move is pointless or not, You have to admit the message is gaining good penetration when the smackies are working at avoiding contamination. Sure they might still share needles, but fuck that covid!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
directions for primary school next week - no parents inside the gates. shall we take a guess how many parents can cram around the gates after school? with only 1 or 2 years at school on any day you'd think we'd be more spread out at the various classrooms than all waiting outside.