COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
This article suggests that Australia can no longer rely on high levels of migration to drive economic growth in a post-covid recovery period. Instead, we should be taking the 'unprecendented opportunity' presented by COVID-19 to reset our economic trajectory to one centred around achieving our zero-emissions target:
Typical rubbish, they have mangled three issues into a vomit stew.

1. Australia CAN rely on it and it most likely will.
  2. The dependency on immigration to boost economy will also come with higher global emissions
  3. It will fix the economic metrics but it will munt standard of living as we continue down a path of chronic public underinvestment.

Post covid folks will ask questions about their own country and their responsiveness and ability to respond to covid and then go, Straya seems alright.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
We can link in with NZ too.

Perhaps it's time to blow up the olde worlde, it's only getting in the way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
What would be worse - death by covid induced pneumonia or death by boredom in WA? I guess there is always the chance of getting eaten by a shark to end the suffering quickly.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
So has anyone downloaded the covidsafe app? Interested to hear people's views on it.
I haven't so far. I think its a really good idea and has the potential to be really useful in tracing cases but have a few concerns about it.
- I don't trust the govt not to use the data for something else in the future (regardless of what assurances they provide now).
- The contact time of 15min seems too long. I can't think of anyone I have been in contact with for 15min apart from my family for the past 6 weeks. It just seems a bit useless. I could have been coughed at in a line in a supermarket but chances are I will have been through the line and bought my stuff in less than 15min (I'm in a regional area so this example will no-doubt be different in the cities).
- I keep hearing stories of it draining phone batteries or just plain not working anyway.

As restrictions get more relaxed I'm becoming more inclined to give it a go and work will probably require it before we head back to the office but it does seem a bit half baked so far.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So has anyone downloaded the covidsafe app? Interested to hear people's views on it.
I haven't so far. I think its a really good idea and has the potential to be really useful in tracing cases but have a few concerns about it.
- I don't trust the govt not to use the data for something else in the future (regardless of what assurances they provide now).
- The contact time of 15min seems too long. I can't think of anyone I have been in contact with for 15min apart from my family for the past 6 weeks. It just seems a bit useless. I could have been coughed at in a line in a supermarket but chances are I will have been through the line and bought my stuff in less than 15min (I'm in a regional area so this example will no-doubt be different in the cities).
- I keep hearing stories of it draining phone batteries or just plain not working anyway.

As restrictions get more relaxed I'm becoming more inclined to give it a go and work will probably require it before we head back to the office but it does seem a bit half baked so far.
Yes I've downloaded it, I share reservations about it's effective use but I can't see any great down side even if it's not that effective. I can't see even if they have the data what use to would be to the government or anyone else really, you don't even need to link your real name to it.

It doesn't seemto make a whole lot of difference to battery life (Samsung Galaxy S9) but it is using some, according to my battery management 3% of my power usage was the app which is actually up there but not a game changer in my experience.

I don't think anyone really knows if it is working yet, haven't heard of it being used to trace anyone yet, I'm sure the government will trumpet it when it does happen.

nathanm

Eats Squid
  • I don't trust the govt not to use the data for something else in the future (regardless of what assurances they provide now).
  • The contact time of 15min seems too long. I can't think of anyone I have been in contact with for 15min apart from my family for the past 6 weeks. It just seems a bit useless. I could have been coughed at in a line in a supermarket but chances are I will have been through the line and bought my stuff in less than 15min (I'm in a regional area so this example will no-doubt be different in the cities).
  • I keep hearing stories of it draining phone batteries or just plain not working anyway.

If and when they actually get it to work and security experts deem it to be actually secure then I'll download it. I am continually bemused that they want you to download the app when they are supposedly continually hacked on their own websites. I also heard this morning that they've tigthened security for the app by, wait for it, bringing in laws to prosecute offenders. Yeah best of luck tracking down individuals in foreign countries and bringing them to justice in Australia, they don't bother in the least about the prolific scamming by pretending to the the ATO and other government bodies.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
  • I don't trust the govt not to use the data for something else in the future (regardless of what assurances they provide now).
  • The contact time of 15min seems too long. I can't think of anyone I have been in contact with for 15min apart from my family for the past 6 weeks. It just seems a bit useless. I could have been coughed at in a line in a supermarket but chances are I will have been through the line and bought my stuff in less than 15min (I'm in a regional area so this example will no-doubt be different in the cities).
  • I keep hearing stories of it draining phone batteries or just plain not working anyway.

I've downloaded it, the information it has is pretty safe. I'm also a bit dubious of the 15min thing but hopefully the information is of some use when needed. It's seems to use very little battery on my Iphone 6.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Interesting feedback so far. Its good to hear that its not draining batteries like some reports.
As I mentioned, I'm in a regional area and everyone has pretty much decided that crisis is over and everyone is back at the shops and very little social distancing etc. No-one I know has downloaded it, possibly as we don't have any known cases in the area anymore. Will be interesting if we get some cases here whether uptake will improve.
I think I'll download it and give it a try when I get a chance - too busy talking about it on the internet to actually download it.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I've got the app, don't see what information from my boring arse existence anyone would need to use so not too concerned. It uses roughly 3% battery on my phone too (S10e), a little annoying having it there as a notification all the time but doesn't bother anything else.

I figure if it helps in any way it's silly not to.