COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I am surprised team sports are back on and that parents are keen to get involved so soon. Seems like one of those things that could wait until next season to resume.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/...ny-says-covid-like-multiple-diseases/12242026

With the number of cases that these NY doctors have treated, they're saying COVID-19 is like 3 different diseases:
  1. Mild - "a flu-like illness with fever, muscle aches and respiratory symptoms, or often no symptoms at all"
  2. Severe - where the immune response goes beserk - "major damage to organs like the the lungs, heart, brain, and kidneys seen when COVID-19 becomes severe"
  3. The one that seems to affect kids - "paediatric multisystem inflammatory syndrome" although it's not 100% confirmed that it's COVID-19 related. It's not pretty either: "Symptoms may include fever, swollen hands and feet, a red rash that can occur on the skin around the lips and eyes, abdominal pain, diarrhoea and vomiting, resembling a rare condition called Kawasaki disease, thought to be triggered by infections. But it is inflammation of the heart and blood vessels supplying it that make the condition potentially deadly." Seems to have basis in an overactive immune response post COVID-19 infection.
The severe cases appear to result from a "cytokine storm" - your body basically calling your entire immune system into battle, which damages healthy tissue. This apparently does occur with other infections too, but the COVID-19 is different as it results "in widespread blood clotting, which can in turn trigger heart attacks, strokes, deep vein thrombosis (DVT), pulmonary embolisms (clots in veins in the lungs) and limbs so damaged they may need to be amputated."

Seems it's becoming apparent that it's not the innocuous disease that some people think it is - it can leave you and your kids with permanent damage.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
is this the same malaria stuff that gives you incredibly vivid dreams?
Yup, Lariam. I was on it for a 4 month stint in Africa, I used to dread Tuesday nights (Lariam night - only needed one dose weekly) I have never been a big one for recalling dreams before or after that trip but pill night was f@cking next level, hardly got any sleep and the paranoia was brutal. Some people on the truck had to switch to different medication mid trip and a few even had sleep issues for years afterwards, or maybe that was just the amount of local cane spirit consumed or whatever else we could get our hands on.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Guess i have happy dreams.
I think it probably comes down to circumstance, if you're tucked up in a familiar environment you're probably going to not be affected as badly...still beats getting malaria.

I think our worst night was when we were up in Bwindi NP and we got told some stories of a rather unfortunate truck that went up and camped in the same spot...went to sleep about 9.30 that night and woke up bolt upright about 11 and didn't get another wink, every sound and shadow spooked me.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Yup, Lariam. I was on it for a 4 month stint in Africa, I used to dread Tuesday nights (Lariam night - only needed one dose weekly) I have never been a big one for recalling dreams before or after that trip but pill night was f@cking next level, hardly got any sleep and the paranoia was brutal. Some people on the truck had to switch to different medication mid trip and a few even had sleep issues for years afterwards, or maybe that was just the amount of local cane spirit consumed or whatever else we could get our hands on.
I spent a few months in Madagascar on a field camp chasing birds and a few other critters back in the Uni days, and was taking Doxycycline for malaria, but my field camp mate was on the Lariams and he had some ripper dreams. The patch of forest we were working in had Guinea fowl the locals used to catch with drop nets on the sly. One night old mate had a dream that he was a guinea fowl that had just been netted and was in the process of being clubbed to death when he woke up. His first action was to put out his arms, which promptly got tangled up in the mozzie net. As a consequence he had a couple of seconds worth of panic attack before he clocked what the score was, by which time the rest of us had woken up to a frantically thrashing screaming unit. We dined out on that one for the rest of the trip

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
There’s a number of disastrous new outbreaks in the US....almost solely red states...almost all traced back to religious gatherings that were either defying the lockdown, or had been ordered to go ahead with services by religious leaders.
County is screwed.

There’s a number of disastrous new outbreaks in the US....almost solely red states...almost all traced back to religious gatherings that were either defying the lockdown, or had been ordered to go ahead with services by religious leaders.
County is screwed.
they were just speaking in tongues

or maybe it was, ahem "with"