COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Covid makes my mind really messed up. Steel is mined locally and melted into discs to add to a steel bar. How the hell is it cheaper to mine he stuff here, send it to china make it into a disk and then ship it back. Globalism has really screwed my mind up...
We've got a dry dump on our place that is dominated by about 10 tonnes of scrap steel...and a dead agricultural harvester amongst other things. No shortage of things to lift...

Anyone bitching about the cost of gym weights should just buy a couple of 20kg bags of premixed concrete...and harden the fuck up.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
We've got a dry dump on our place that is dominated by about 10 tonnes of scrap steel...and a dead agricultural harvester amongst other things. No shortage of things to lift...

Anyone bitching about the cost of gym weights should just buy a couple of 20kg bags of premixed concrete...and harden the fuck up.
Go fuck yourself bud

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Covid makes my mind really messed up. Steel is mined locally and melted into discs to add to a steel bar. How the hell is it cheaper to mine he stuff here, send it to china make it into a disk and then ship it back. Globalism has really screwed my mind up.

You'd be surprised how many interpretations of 3/4 milk you can have...
I'm going to need clarity! Only other thought I have is you are talking about a 1 to 0.75 ratio of coffee to milk?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
When someone came in to my cafe and asked for extra hot coffee, i made the staff just turn the cup around and give the handle a blast of (90/95 degree) hot water from the machine before pulling the shot. Always worked and lots of regulars swore it was hotter!
Love that trick. I love the people who think their coffee stays hotter in take away cups...it doesn't, you can just feel the heat escaping.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's all over! We are freeeeeeeee! No more 1.5m distance, just crowd on in you arseholes!!! Yeah? Surely that's why there are so many old people out of hiding and congregating, all the hugging and kissing and being annoying couldn't mean anything else? I was really getting used to everywhere being so empty.

stirk

Burner
No crowds were good crowds
Fuck lockdown, my local fire trails which are normally quiet are like bloody highways full of people and the lesser known single tracks also busy with bloody walkers. And my local bush track where I walk the dog is normally so quiet that on most days I won't see anyone, now we pass 10 dog walkers and 19 other families all enjoying my local track.

Lockdown my arse, the only things really locked down were borders and businesses. I want my solitude back!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
my local fire trails which are normally quiet are like bloody highways full of people and the lesser known single tracks also busy with bloody walkers. And my local bush track where I walk the dog is normally so quiet that on most days I won't see anyone, now we pass 10 dog walkers and 19 other families all enjoying my local track.
I'm actually not sure if this is a good thing or not. I mean if this means they put pressure on Warby and speed up the build of that along with the yarra valley trails and a few other bits and bobs, I won't be too disappointed.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
"Renovation work will not include structures separate to the main property, such as swimming pools, tennis courts and sheds. "

It's ok though, for $750k I could put a pool/skate bowl inside the main $1.5m property, maybe even a half tennis court.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Upper income base won't pass the income test or the house value test, I'm hoping. I doubt many people in Sydney would qualify.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Upper income base won't pass the income test or the house value test, I'm hoping. I doubt many people in Sydney would qualify.
One of the problems we have is that people have really skewed perspectives of their own wealth as relative to others. The $125k/200k thresholds are firmly in the "upper income" bracket. As are the category "people who can afford to spend $150k on renovations".

Median household income for 2017-18 was $1701pw or ~$88500pa. So 50% of the population would have to spend two or more times their total annual household income on house renovations to be eligible. Those people are also significantly less likely to be homeowners in the first place. COVID-related economic stress has most greatly impacted people on lower incomes, who are in insecure work, and who are renting or in insecure housing. These are people who also don't have equity or other wealth to rely on.

If the government is going to invest millions in residential construction, they should be doing it in a way that has a net positive effect on the people who most need it. And subsidising someone's renovation or extension is not it. Invest in a massive expansion of social and affordable housing stock. Invest in solar installations/energy efficiency works on rental properties to reduce utility bill stress for renters.

Do any number of things that aren't just increasing the wealth of a narrow band of upper-middle class aspirants by subsidising their discretionary asset improvements.