COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

TM2

Likes Bikes
@moorey absolutely agree with you.

"I just don't get it. If they saw what I'm seeing every single day it'd be a different story I'm sure."
I think its time for some confronting ads on TV and Social Media. I'm old enough to remember the stir the TAC ads created when they first when graphical with their portrayal of car accidents. The public needs to see what its like being put on a ventilator, what its like not being able to breathe, the potential scarring on your organs that could last permanently. I'd also suggest showing what these scenes would look like of our resoources get overwhelmed, and show people dying of asphyxiation unattended in hospital corridors (a la Italy). I imagine these sorts of graphical images would change the public perception.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with this 100%.
We know a large portion of the population are planting themselves in front of the TV, if they won't take the advice on board, shove it down their throats.
Let's also get ads on common international channels so there isn't anyone missed. Lot of people with their head in the sand on this and no one has any idea what the long term effects of the virus will be.

I don't care if some people think it's a common cold or regular flu virus, if you can prevent it being spread, just do it you ignorant fuckers

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I don't care if some people think it's a common cold or regular flu virus, if you can prevent it being spread, just do it you ignorant fuckers
thats it in a nutshell. we all want to get back to normal, stop being a twat and just do the right thing and we can get back to going to bunnings without a mask without antagonizing the poor staff

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think its time for some confronting ads on TV and Social Media. I'm old enough to remember the stir the TAC ads created when they first when graphical with their portrayal of car accidents. The public needs to see what its like being put on a ventilator, what its like not being able to breathe, the potential scarring on your organs that could last permanently. I'd also suggest showing what these scenes would look like of our resoources get overwhelmed, and show people dying of asphyxiation unattended in hospital corridors (a la Italy). I imagine these sorts of graphical images would change the public perception.
I believe they have https://www.theage.com.au/national/...tising-campaign-20200725-p55fdj.html#comments

Anecdotally I'm not sure how effective ads are any more. My kids consume a bunch of media and they just skip/tune them out. I couldn't tell you the last time I paid attention to adds other than laugh at the stupidity of them.
Something is certainly better than nothing, but I don't feel these would have the same effect as the original TAC ones did back in the day

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure if this should go here or the LTIH, but the media needing to do live-cross from wherever there's been an outbreak just pisses me off. Trucks all around the Children's this morning because of the outbreak in the neonatal ward. All they are doing is adding more people to the area and making it harder to access for people who need to be there. It doesn't enhance the story, it's not essential travel, so just stay away. We don't need to see someone standing outside the hospital to tell us the same thing that could be said from the studio.
Same shit was happening during the 'towers lockdown'...

TM2

Likes Bikes
I believe they have https://www.theage.com.au/national/...tising-campaign-20200725-p55fdj.html#comments

Anecdotally I'm not sure how effective ads are any more. My kids consume a bunch of media and they just skip/tune them out. I couldn't tell you the last time I paid attention to adds other than laugh at the stupidity of them.
Something is certainly better than nothing, but I don't feel these would have the same effect as the original TAC ones did back in the day
Ive seen the ad, doesn't hit the graphic note I'm describing, just a guy describing how he felt is different than showing what it's like when you're stuck in a plastic bubble unable to breathe unassisted.
Good social media campaigns can have significant reach, traditional media ads definitely have limited effectiveness these days. Produce content that is compelling enough and you can definitely reach slot of people

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Exemptions are going to be the downfall of SA.

South Australia has recorded a new coronavirus case after a COVID-19 contagious traveller arrived from Victoria, the state’s chief public health officer has revealed.
Professor Nicola Spurrier said the woman, aged in her 20s, arrived in Adelaide from Melbourne over the weekend.

She came to Adelaide with her partner and two children after receiving permission to relocate from an area with a high caseload for a new job. Dr Spurrier said the detection of her case and lack of exposure to other South Australia’s showed precautions were working.

She is currently in quarantine at the Pullman Hotel. Her family is also in quarantine in a different location, Dr Spurrier said. One South Australian family member is being treated as a close contact.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The fines need to be $40000 not $4000. Needs to really, really hurt financially, it seems, to actually have an impact. Maybe....
Should be two tier penalty for quarantine breach.
Big fines if you are found out in the community.
Gaol time if you are found to skipped quarantine and tested positive or spread covid.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Peak woke.
Calling anyone "A Karen" is now offensive....

To be fair, whenever I or anyone I know has called someone a Karen it has been meant as an offensive and derogatory term. Fucking Karens with their “can I see the manager” haircuts and SUV’s.