COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I hate how the race card gets pulled in circumstances like this. I does not help the cause one bit and only causes more division.
Just curious, Which media outlets initially showed their faces and which did not?
I seem to recall an SBS post about this in my newsfeed that did not have their faces.
I would be completely unsurprised if old mate rupert's media had them full front cover and background image from the get go.

Once one media outlet put the faces up, there would be little reason for other media outlets to avoid showing their faces.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just curious, Which media outlets initially showed their faces and which did not?
I seem to recall an SBS post about this in my newsfeed that did not have their faces.
I would be completely unsurprised if old mate rupert's media had them full front cover and background image from the get go.

Once one media outlet put the faces up, there would be little reason for other media outlets to avoid showing their faces.
It was all over FB first, posted by locals. I live a few suburbs away from them. The racial taunts on FB are pretty bad to be honest.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
When i saw the photos of those women all i thought was they should stop kissing wasps.
I was thinking suck-starting Harley Davidsons but it could have been wasps.

It was all over FB first, posted by locals. I live a few suburbs away from them. The racial taunts on FB are pretty bad to be honest.
Yeah that's bad form - we're all equals here, black, white, plastic. I hear that Devo are considering a fundraising concert for them.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
RE: the two women in Brisbane. The Courier Mail, Brisbane's trash rag Murdoch paper ran this front page yesterday morning, which was then re-reported by everyone else following:

It's pretty incendiary.

The Bunnings Karen/Melbourne girl/Geelong real estate douche comparisons don't really carry water given they filmed themselves and posted their own videos online. It's also true that there has been no comparable doxxing of others, be it the security guard who is allegedly responsible for the quarantine outbreak, or the people who hosted a 1000-person rave in Byron Bay, etc. It's also also true that these are communities that have consistently been targets of media scorn, from the African Gangs shitshow to the recent reporting around the Flemington towers etc, and the longstanding local Brisbane stereotypes about Logan, and it's therefore pretty understandable that they're unhappy about the reportage regarding these two women.

It's a shitty situation. Their behaviour is undeniably an especially egregious breach of the COVID rules, and there is evidently public interest in understanding their movements and identifying possible contacts etc, but outing the girls with a hatchet job like that front page doesn't actually help that, and absolutely does have a whole lot of other negative impacts.

We are capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. We can be pissed off at them and rightly angry at their behaviour while also acknowledging that the reporting of it lands in a particularly fraught cultural context that media outlets should be much more cognisant of. Dismissing concerns as "pulling the race card" when there's plenty of evidence that these incidents have real impacts on peoples' lives (see: increased incidence of racism directed at Chinese and Asian-Australians in the last six months) is just lazy and perpetuates the problem.

Also, what you think of their lips/appearance is completely irrelevant, so cut that shit out.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Totally fair call @leitch.

A person I know from up there has FB posted a petition calling for jail time. He and all the dickwads signing it clearly don't understand the legal system and how petitions on websites don't come into it.

Aside from irrelevance to the topic at hand, I so don't get the lips thing, on any female or male. Some dude on some reality show I saw was going bigger than these two, and it seriously freaked me out.

Sorry for OT banter, about to head home from a day in the empty office, dicing up whether to try the pub or straight to bottlo as I tried pub last week but it was already full with COVID restrictions.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty