COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very interesting watch with two oxford epidemiologists.. Covid is could be just another nasty seasonal virus.. 9.40min onwards..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No I wouldn't - I'd trust a soldier over a PSO but I'm biased because I was one. I don't really want either in position where they have power and authority that hasn't been fully considered.
I don't imagine that general military training involves much on the way of customer service or law 101. I also don't imagine that the PSO training involves much of the kill-bot factory aspect that manufacturing soldiers does.

In NSW the transit officers (folks ta check train/bus/ferry tickets) have gone through an interesting journey. I first remember them appearing around 15 years ago after an overhaul of ticket compliance methods. They had a blad brown/khaki uniform and authority quite similar to the police in their particular environment. Many of the members were aggressive and heavy handed towards travellers, and a lot of violent confrontations were reported. Eventually they were canned and redesigned over a few years. The new version were polite and much more effective.

Usually when the military are deployed on their own population they are either saving them from a natural disaster (like fire or flood) or herding them into football stadiums.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I’d rather they didn’t carry guns.
I feel like this about police. I love the way that gun looks while they sit around drinking coffee...clunking against the cafe chair.

There should be no need for the PSO teams to be armed. Is that an everyday practice in Vic?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I feel like this about police. I love the way that gun looks while they sit around drinking coffee...clunking against the cafe chair.

There should be no need for the PSO teams to be armed. Is that an everyday practice in Vic?
Yep. All PSO's are armed. Maybe not some that have duties directly in court rooms, but generally yes they all carry.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't imagine that general military training involves much on the way of customer service or law 101. I also don't imagine that the PSO training involves much of the kill-bot factory aspect that manufacturing soldiers does.

In NSW the transit officers (folks ta check train/bus/ferry tickets) have gone through an interesting journey. I first remember them appearing around 15 years ago after an overhaul of ticket compliance methods. They had a blad brown/khaki uniform and authority quite similar to the police in their particular environment. Many of the members were aggressive and heavy handed towards travellers, and a lot of violent confrontations were reported. Eventually they were canned and redesigned over a few years. The new version were polite and much more effective.

Usually when the military are deployed on their own population they are either saving them from a natural disaster (like fire or flood) or herding them into football stadiums.
Exactly on the military stuff. Their job isn't policing and they aren't set up for it.
Both the PSOs and wider VicPol are always keen to get their hands on the training that goes in to manufacturing soldiers so the lines between soldier and constable continue to blur

To a large extent the early NSW transit mob you've described sounds similar to PSOs in Vic. IBAC put out a report back in 16/17 about the issues within it, then (as far as I know) they just started grouping complaints/incidents involving PSOs in with other Police incidents so they couldn't be tracked separately.
IMO they shouldn't carry firearms and their limits and powers should be very clear

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
Perhaps the PSOs should be put in Highway Patrol capacity so they can strut around pretending they’re making a difference And the HP police can do some real police work.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Perhaps the PSOs should be put in Highway Patrol capacity so they can strut around pretending they’re making a difference And the HP police can do some real police work.
In NSW it seems they put the dud police in the transit units.

Exactly on the military stuff. Their job isn't policing and they aren't set up for it.
Both the PSOs and wider VicPol are always keen to get their hands on the training that goes in to manufacturing soldiers so the lines between soldier and constable continue to blur

To a large extent the early NSW transit mob you've described sounds similar to PSOs in Vic. IBAC put out a report back in 16/17 about the issues within it, then (as far as I know) they just started grouping complaints/incidents involving PSOs in with other Police incidents so they couldn't be tracked separately.
IMO they shouldn't carry firearms and their limits and powers should be very clear
Who doesn't like poorly monitored authority?

Gotta get woke...

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Yeah, but the militarisation of police is working out great in the US - why wouldn’t we also want more military in our policing?

Flow-Rider

Burner
In NSW it seems they put the dud police in the transit units.

Who doesn't like poorly monitored authority?

Gotta get woke...
The Minions hide a lot of their BS in Qld, if they are deemed not fit to serve the public they hide them in offices because they know they will dob in other minions if they get thrown out of a job.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Its back :mad:

The 2 returned from Melbourne in the last week.

Bloke went in to self iso at home with his mother and aunt, both aged care workers. The care homes are now in lockdown.

The girl failed to do the required 24hr test, went and got it done 5 days after entering the state... now the contacts on the plane are in lockdown iso and all their families.

2 schools are in lockdown after an adult student who had been in contact with an existing case, returned a positive.

Pubs are out again as from tonight, must be seated with a meal.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So are people so incapable of undertaking simple instructions? Or are they deliberately negligent? It doesn't seem so hard...but I'm only up to day 2. The cops at the airport were dealing up quarantine advice "time to kick back and get into the beers..." I told them I planned to live on water and celery, get myself cleansed.