COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah but you still have to listen to dissenting views even if you don’t like the source..
Unherd seem to have one agenda on covid but the two oxford guys are pretty straight down the line..
its not a dissenting view, its just bullshit. Facts are not subject to opinions - you may have an opinion that trump is genius, but it doesn't make it so.

You can respect the right to have that opinion, but you dont need to respect the opinion.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
From The Guardian:
It is going to be some more tough news, I am afraid. It looks like all businesses, other than the essential, are to be closed - that’s almost everything other than food, power and telecommunications. We are waiting for the official word, which is coming within the next 30 minutes, but we’ve been told to look at what New Zealand did during its stage four lockdown.
What is the end game - what on earth is the end game?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its not a dissenting view, its just bullshit. Facts are not subject to opinions - you may have an opinion that trump is genius, but it doesn't make it so.

You can respect the right to have that opinion, but you dont need to respect the opinion.
Right, so you know better than 2 Oxford immunologists at the coal face? Get your head out of your arse..

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An allegedly 'official' list of what is to closed that was sent to me actually leaves quite a few businesses open to trade, but no idea how legit it is.
You would not want to be a small business owner though.

It would be nice if we get the official word, it seems all work has stopped until companies know what they can do next

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
An allegedly 'official' list of what is to closed that was sent to me actually leaves quite a few businesses open to trade, but no idea how legit it is.
You would not want to be a small business owner though.

It would be nice if we get the official word, it seems all work has stopped until companies know what they can do next
Cabinet in Confidence, Open/Closed to On-Site Trade? If so I got the same one. Andrew's just referred to a "long-form list" passed to media so it seems legit.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cabinet in Confidence, Open/Closed to On-Site Trade? If so I got the same one. Andrew's just referred to a "long-form list" passed to media so it seems legit.
That's the one.

EDIT - to add, the construction restrictions he mentioned is just different enough to make me think this was an initial draft and they've backed off slightly in some areas

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
EDIT - to add, the construction restrictions he mentioned is just different enough to make me think this was an initial draft and they've backed off slightly in some areas
Quite possibly. Came to me through someone with construction industry contacts so it may have been circulated for peak/industry body comment first. Or it's just a really good fake and someone was incredibly bored yesterday.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Andrews is on the box now. Lots of reductions in numbers of workers on construction sites (max. 25% of workforce), serious increase in PPE and protocols in abbotoirs and reduced production. Can still do collect from Bunnings and home delivery ok for certain businesses.

Seems like a pragmatic move to restrict people from moving around so much, but with a trickle of economic activity.

edit: and he just mentioned significant changes in enforcement and penalties will be announced tomorrow.

Haakon

Right, so you know better than 2 Oxford immunologists at the coal face? Get your head out of your arse..
I know if they're featuring on websites like unheard, they're not likely credible. Especially if they're contradicting thousands of other immunologists - strikes me like Breitbart interviewing Lomborg on how CC isn't a problem...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I know if they're featuring on websites like unheard, they're not likely credible. Especially if they're contradicting thousands of other immunologists - strikes me like Breitbart interviewing Lomborg on how CC isn't a problem...
So - are you happy with where we are today?

I'm not.

I think our methods are flawed - not because of people deliberately doing the wrong thing, but we've not been in this place (pandemic) before...not so suddenly with so much human mobility.

Haakon

So - are you happy with where we are today?

I'm not.

I think our methods are flawed - not because of people deliberately doing the wrong thing, but we've not been in this place (pandemic) before...not so suddenly with so much human mobility.
i think we are making up as we go (although this has all been foreseen and planned for by experts, the handover teams even took the incoming trump team through the plans), as you say its uncharted territory. i also think its safe to ignore anything on a far right fringe website set up by daily telegraph pro Leave "journos"...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
You can only be an expert with past experience. Those making decisions now are experts in their field (virology & healthcare), not experts in functional pandemic response.

Those two Oxford chaps are not right wing fringe.

Play the YT vid in the background, it's not something that will make you angry.

Haakon

You can only be an expert with past experience. Those making decisions now are experts in their field (virology & healthcare), not experts in functional pandemic response.

ill give it a go. but there are experts in pandemic response involved around the world, including australia - such people exist.

moorey

call me Mia

Experience makes you experienced, not an expert.
I’ve had a lot or riding experience.
That said, I haven’t watched it and aren’t necessarily disagreeing with you.

Last edited: