COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Perhaps a small bright spot in the economic lookout - money being spent at home instead...
Yes. I guess that was my point but I was surprised so many would normally be out of the country. hifi says he observes that but I really hadn't because my circle tend to stay home and travel here. Not many Vics obviously.

slowmick

38-39"
So when many are out visiting dad for father's day, drinking beer and toasting a giant fuck you to Dan the Man, Dan will announce the new restrictions. seems poor timing.

So "inciting" a gathering now an offence you can be charges with? Does this go in the same bucket as a terrorist act? You are inciting people to act in a way that "will" cause harm to the community?

The important question is - are we getting a grand final day parade this year seeing as there is no grand final in Melbourne and we're not allowed to gather for a parade any way.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
While camping it was interesting to hear the numbers of people saying they would normally be overseas for winter. Mostly Qlders. One group had their sister's motorhome instead of going to Bali. Another couple would normally holiday in Greece or Italy but decided to hire a van and see Qld. So many hire caravans and whingebagos. Camping ground was pretty much full the whole time. Every morning a shed load would leave and every night the sites would be full. Even the high priced cabins were full for the week. And this is outside any school holidays. One place which had accommodation and a restaurant has been closed since March with no signs of opening. Similarly in a couple of the towns there were motels closed up. Lots of wide loads (machinery and offices / cribhuts) heading west and north west so someone is spending money.
Definitely the case in Tasmania. On weekends and during the last school holidays stuff was busy. Derby was flat out, and for our group ride trip to St Helens last weekend there were plenty of people in the caravan park, the pub was full in Saturday night, and three shuttle buses where in operation at the trails.

I suspect that the places that are suffering are the high end accommodation and tour operators, and hotels in the bigger population centres, and locals won't be using those.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So when many are out visiting dad for father's day, drinking beer and toasting a giant fuck you to Dan the Man, Dan will announce the new restrictions. seems poor timing.

So "inciting" a gathering now an offence you can be charges with? Does this go in the same bucket as a terrorist act? You are inciting people to act in a way that "will" cause harm to the community?

The important question is - are we getting a grand final day parade this year seeing as there is no grand final in Melbourne and we're not allowed to gather for a parade any way.
On the plus side, it should be pretty easy to arrest Andrew Bolt now...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
While camping it was interesting to hear the numbers of people saying they would normally be overseas for winter. Mostly Qlders. One group had their sister's motorhome instead of going to Bali. Another couple would normally holiday in Greece or Italy but decided to hire a van and see Qld. So many hire caravans and whingebagos. Camping ground was pretty much full the whole time. Every morning a shed load would leave and every night the sites would be full. Even the high priced cabins were full for the week. And this is outside any school holidays. One place which had accommodation and a restaurant has been closed since March with no signs of opening. Similarly in a couple of the towns there were motels closed up. Lots of wide loads (machinery and offices / cribhuts) heading west and north west so someone is spending money.
Boomers strike again...old people are a huge tourism market.

Perhaps a small bright spot in the economic lookout - money being spent at home instead...

I am very sure this is part of ScoMo's plan. Fuck him and his plan.

Except that Aussies travelling domestically don't spend anywhere near the amount that Fat Yanks and Crazy Rich Asians do.

That's because the ones you normally see aren't those that go overseas all the time.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah arresting that woman in Ballarat is a bit mind boggling.

I'm generally supportive of Andrews but the tendency to lead with the police (and the monumental overreach of a 12-month State of Emergency declaration) betrays an increasingly patronising approach to government. People on a whole want to do the right thing. It would have been very easy to just keep tabs on the "freedom rally" and then fine/arrest/vapourise the three people who actually turned up than to so wholly play into the "Chairman Dan" stereotype by going all Minority Report on her.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah arresting that woman in Ballarat is a bit mind boggling.

I'm generally supportive of Andrews but the tendency to lead with the police (and the monumental overreach of a 12-month State of Emergency declaration) betrays an increasingly patronising approach to government. People on a whole want to do the right thing. It would have been very easy to just keep tabs on the "freedom rally" and then fine/arrest/vapourise the three people who actually turned up than to so wholly play into the "Chairman Dan" stereotype by going all Minority Report on her.
Just to add the way the gov/cops love to announce the “covidiots” everyday is all a bit agenda setting.. They love to describe in detail all this stuff yet it has very little to do with the actual virus transmission. Virtually all the cases are coming from “essential” workplaces yet we are none the wiser how/where this happens but we can have all the minute details of curfew Johnno’s kfc 3 peice feed..

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Just to add the way the gov/cops love to announce the “covidiots” everyday is all a bit agenda setting.. They love to describe in detail all this stuff yet it has very little to do with the actual virus transmission.
There's a fair bit of research around too that positive reinforcement is more influential in compliance than the threat of consequence.

Can't remember if it was a publication from the UK or NSW government's Behavioural Insights Team but they found that there was measurable benefit to on-time payment of fines from putting on the fine notice that "90% of people pay on time" as opposed to just the threat of further financial penalty for late payment.

Giving everyone details of what various 'covidiots' have done to attract fines might be cathartic but it also does two things - it gives people an idea of where the threshold lies under which they can push the boundaries, and it gives people an excuse for their own actions ("well I'm not having 12 mates around to get stoned and eat KFC so it's fine if I just drive in to Melbourne to deliver bike parts"). It'd be nice to see Dan stand up and say "guys you're all doing a great job, we've only had to fine 250 out of the 5 million of you yesterday, which means 99.995% of you are doing the right thing - keep up the good work."

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What you Victorians need is a visit from the covidiot whisperer, Caesar Millan! His gentle and positive approach will pull the fools into line...

Mattyp

Cows go boing
2 more months as far as im concerned....careful use of wording made it sound like only 2 weeks
stage 3 had no 5km radius, but had to stay in metro melbourne....

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
2 more months of 5km radius..........farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk
I wouldn't weld yourself to that idea - it's looking pretty flexible and if (big if) cases go down to 5 a day by the end of October I'd wager we'd be back at Stage 2(ish) with pubs and shit open.

My guess is we'll back be back to Stage 3 by the end of the month the way things are going.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I wouldn't weld yourself to that idea - it's looking pretty flexible and if (big if) cases go down to 5 a day by the end of October I'd wager we'd be back at Stage 2(ish) with pubs and shit open.

My guess is we'll back be back to Stage 3 by the end of the month the way things are going.
Your shit is closed? No wonder you guys are struggling.