COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
Nice of the English to test the efficacy of the vaccine

Am I mistaken in my understanding that the vaccine doesn’t guarantee you won’t catch Covid, but it almost guarantees you won’t suffer any chronic effects requiring hospitalization?
Fully aware I may be misguided on this.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Am I mistaken in my understanding that the vaccine doesn’t guarantee you won’t catch Covid, but it almost guarantees you won’t suffer any chronic effects requiring hospitalization?
Fully aware I may be misguided on this.
No guarantees, AFAIK, only greatly reduced chance of - getting ill, passing covid to others, suffering acute/chronic symptoms requiring hospitalization.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I turn 40 in a bit over a month, figured i'd get the ball rolling now since i'll be finally eligable for some vaccination goodness (despite having to work this entire time, havn't been deemed frontline enough)

What a shitshow that booking system is though! jeezuz, i can handle the extensive details and all the questions about my eligability, but when it comes time to book there's nothing available and the way it makes you check is fucking abysmal. pick a location, then pick a month long date range, then submit. no good? pick another month long date range and hit submit. no good? pick another location and date range and hit submit.

holy shitballs, its not vaccine hesitancy thats stopping us, its this piss poor excuse for a rollout. at this rate I reckon i should be good to get my jab by the time i'm 60. cos stuff sitting here all night trying different locations and timeframes.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I turn 40 in a bit over a month, figured i'd get the ball rolling now since i'll be finally eligable for some vaccination goodness (despite having to work this entire time, havn't been deemed frontline enough)

What a shitshow that booking system is though! jeezuz, i can handle the extensive details and all the questions about my eligability, but when it comes time to book there's nothing available and the way it makes you check is fucking abysmal. pick a location, then pick a month long date range, then submit. no good? pick another month long date range and hit submit. no good? pick another location and date range and hit submit.

holy shitballs, its not vaccine hesitancy thats stopping us, its this piss poor excuse for a rollout. at this rate I reckon i should be good to get my jab by the time i'm 60. cos stuff sitting here all night trying different locations and timeframes.
Same here, I think they prioritise people so most likely going to be dependant with the area, but saying that a mate of mine was playing soccer and a vaccination clinic bus turned up and done the whole team without even a booking.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Try hotdoc.com.au ?
Thats what I used, found a clinic 1.5km away for the next day... easy.

The hard bit was jab 2, only had 3 dates and I was working all 3. Booked for the day before a course, going to cancel in case I feel shitty.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

Ask the other sister. She's frontline (path lab handling Covid swabs) and yet she had to fight management at the hospital she works at to get AZ in the second round (should have been Pfizer in first round). Then her second immunisation booking got booted, despite being told, in writing, it was ok and to ignore the cancellation. Nope, she had to book in again.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Yeah, what I understood too. I see people spouting ‘I’m jabbed, all good, let’s get back to business as usual’ and it scares me a bit. It’s not like small pox or polio. We aren’t about to eradicate this any time soon.
Exactly.
Covid-19 has proven to be exceptional at mutating and doing so in a small time frame.
I imagine we'll be having seasonal Covid immunisations along with the 'flu ones.
That or people give up and it'll be Spanish 'flu meets Idiocracy scenario.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Being fully immunized reduces your chance of dying about 10 fold. So if the current death rate is around 3% then it will be 0.3%. That's still a truckload of people if we drop all containment measures and it runs through the community. This is the science experiment that the poms are currently running. The Dutch have also run this experiment and the empirical results are that its a shit show.

Vaccination is very important, but it's not the magic gateway to do anything land. The best hope is that high levels of vaccination will allow us to eradicate it. I expect we'll be in for many years of border controls as poorer countries will probably never be able to get on top of it.