COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being fully immunized reduces your chance of dying about 10 fold. So if the current death rate is around 3% then it will be 0.3%. That's still a truckload of people if we drop all containment measures and it runs through the community. This is the science experiment that the poms are currently running. The Dutch have also run this experiment and the empirical results are that its a shit show.

Vaccination is very important, but it's not the magic gateway to do anything land. The best hope is that high levels of vaccination will allow us to eradicate it. I expect we'll be in for many years of border controls as poorer countries will probably never be able to get on top of it.
Yep the vaccines are like 99.9xxx% effective at preventing death.. So there will still be some deaths per 100000 cases.. Not truckloads though..

This virus is no going to be eradicated for decades using vaccines. It took many many years to eradicate polio, small pox etc even with 90% + vax rate.. I think this eradication idea needs a reality check.. Modern medicine might mean we can suppress the shit out of it way quicker though..

Just like every other pandemic and plague in history eventually society runs out of patience (for a range of reasons) and lets the virus rip.. Now we have vaccines so at least when that happens we aren’t relying on gained immunity from infection and mass casualties.. The world isn’t just going to lockdown/restrictions indefinitely but also not allow their hospital systems to be overwhelmed.. UK and US appear to be near that point now. They will tolerate a certain amount of death, will be interesting to see if their vax rate is high enough..

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Being fully immunized reduces your chance of dying about 10 fold. So if the current death rate is around 3% then it will be 0.3%. That's still a truckload of people if we drop all containment measures and it runs through the community. This is the science experiment that the poms are currently running. The Dutch have also run this experiment and the empirical results are that its a shit show.

Vaccination is very important, but it's not the magic gateway to do anything land. The best hope is that high levels of vaccination will allow us to eradicate it. I expect we'll be in for many years of border controls as poorer countries will probably never be able to get on top of it.

This is what a few people, smarter then me are saying.

They are predicting life here in Australia for the next 5-10 years to yo-yo from between how things currently are, and a 2019 type normal.

There has to be a significant financial correction coming once this new reality is realised.

Small businesses that can trade for 60% of the year thanks to lockdowns and restrictions.

International travel decimated.

Tertiary Education severely impacted.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

They are predicting life here in Australia for the next 5-10 years to yo-yo from between how things currently are, and a 2019 type normal.

There has to be a significant financial correction coming once this new reality is realised.

Small businesses that can trade for 60% of the year thanks to lockdowns and restrictions.

Well that’s f**cking depressing but understandable. It’s going to take years to get to a point where we can find some sort of balance.

I think ScoMo and his marketing team are struggling to map a COVID future here and just winging it and hope things will just work themselves out.

I think most people think we can just go back to normal but one look overseas with high vax rates shows it is still spreading like crazy just less lethal if have had your jab.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

That’s all a bit pessimistic.. On the brighter side there are game changing anti-viral/treatments in development; https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100292172
Vaccines in pill form https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...form-to-start-clinical-trial-in-tel-aviv/amp/
And the amazing mrna vaccine tech https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/618431/
Capitalism might actually get us out of this because there is $$$$ to be made..

link1896

Mr Greenfield
That’s all a bit pessimistic.. On the brighter side there are game changing anti-viral/treatments in development; https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100292172
Vaccines in pill form https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...form-to-start-clinical-trial-in-tel-aviv/amp/
And the amazing mrna vaccine tech https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/618431/
Capitalism might actually get us out of this because there is $$$$ to be made..
Sorry for such a negative outlook, but better to be prepared for this.

To quote Jordan Peterson, “wilful blindness, you could have known but you chose not to”

New medical tech is what gets us to the 5yo exit. We need the world to recover, not just australia. It will be these new tools that get us there

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
The company the meat sock works for is currently rescreening it's catalogue of secondary metabolites for hits against corona viruses... we had a meeting (whilst social distancing and wearing masks) to review results... and some got really excited at results.. until we realised most of those compounds are 10+ years away from being in phase 1 trials.

We are all so sick of seeing/hearing people say - When this is all over and we can get back to normal...

S

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Well seems like Gladys has a good handle on it. Her hints at reducing restrictions sound quite sensible.
Yep. Looks like she's guiding the commentary towards everyone can get out of lockdown come the end of the month, except those poxy rusted on Labor voters out west.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
FOR FUCKS SAKE VIC!!! Couldn't you have just kept lockdown going for a couple of days longer?!?! Just been informed that I'll be getting booted out of Howard Springs tomorrow which means I'll have to go to work instead of lounging around in the sun, watching the Olympics and playing video games. I just ordered a shitload of groceries too

:mad:

Mattyp

Cows go boing
FOR FUCKS SAKE VIC!!! Couldn't you have just kept lockdown going for a couple of days longer?!?! Just been informed that I'll be getting booted out of Howard Springs tomorrow which means I'll have to go to work instead of lounging around in the sun, watching the Olympics and playing video games. I just ordered a shitload of groceries too

:mad:
No sorry...