COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
This was a week ago in my old secondary school.

Even know the UK is 'Open', corona clusters and cases still have them shutting stuff down.

The disruption in schools for all years is a big issue.
Not sure we're talking about the same thing here and that's probably on me. I'm talking about kids getting vaxxed so they re less likely to die, not so that school is disrupted less.

The doherty moddeling shows that at 80% of +16yo vaxxed, you can still expect 40k cases per day if opened up (because it leaves around 9m unvaxxed). The modelling also assumes that contact tracing isn't any worse than it was during Vic's second wave (which right now it objectively is). Large scale disruptions and ongoing lock downs are expected as part of the moddeling too. So expect that shit to get worse. Right now the priority is on making sure less people die.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
... FFS guys stop being morons you are going to get us shut down!
If construction does get shutdown, I'm going to feel sorry for all of those people that were doing the right thing.

On other matters, just had a call from a mate who had a heart attack and is in Wollongong hospital at the moment. Says the place is full of covid patients that have been transported to the Gong from Sydney. He's fully vaxed but given his current condition covid could well kill him. At least he could get an ICU bed and he didn't need an ambulance to get to hospital. The staff say that are already stretched.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I hate the word 'covid' :mad:

Probably more so, I f%#king hate people who repeatedly have a whinge then finish it with 'since covid'

I listened to a family friend (in SA) have a bleating whinge about all the things that 'covid' had stopped her doing and how it had impacted her, I actually felt like punching her in the face after hearing her finish 10 sentences with 'since covid'.
oooh can I guess the person?

stoff

Likes Dirt
All my work is internal residential. Definitely not rosy in my world.
I ride past a dozen building sites a day here in Melbourne. No masks. Not a single one. Apparently they are going to run a blitz. Hopefully the threat of fines will force some builders to enforce the guidelines on their sites. But it’s a top down culture thing. If the main contractor doesn’t give a shit none of his subbies will either. And I’m convinced that peer pressure plays a role too. If you are a young tradie with half a brain that wants to do the right thing and wear a mask at least but your ‘mates’ laugh at you for it there’s a good chance they’ll just follow the crowd.
And it's not just the mask thing. I have a mate who would never normally blink at getting a vaccination who has all but been put off by the talk in the smoko shed. Check out the CFMEU Vic-Tas Facebook page - I didnt understand the depth of anti-vaxx lunacy until I decided to have a read of it this morning wondering what the response to potential compulsory vaccination would be.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
And it's not just the mask thing. I have a mate who would never normally blink at getting a vaccination who has all but been put off by the talk in the smoko shed. Check out the CFMEU Vic-Tas Facebook page - I didnt understand the depth of anti-vaxx lunacy until I decided to have a read of it this morning wondering what the response to potential compulsory vaccination would be.
Well that page makes for pretty depressing reading…

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some pretty strong opinions here on kids, delta and how scary it all is.. May I suggest before repeating some doomy media story that you take the time to listen to the below.. A panel of experts from the royal childrens hospital have made a webinar for parents and kids.. To save you time head to 5 mins if you want to know about how delta affects kids..

For all the parents here it’s a good listen for an hour, pretty much answers all the questions including vaccination..

moorey

call me Mia
Some pretty strong opinions here on kids, delta and how scary it all is.. May I suggest before repeating some doomy media story that you take the time to listen to the below.. A panel of experts from the royal childrens hospital have made a webinar for parents and kids.. To save you time head to 5 mins if you want to know about how delta affects kids..

For all the parents here it’s a good listen for an hour, pretty much answers all the questions including vaccination..
I’m not sure if you realise how condescending you tend to come across in this thread? At least IMHO.