COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Not trying to make a false equivalency, I’m just uncomfortable with how comfortable many Americans are. A lot of cancer deaths could be avoided with major societal and lifestyle changes that most wouldn’t want to do. Their ‘fuck you, libtard’ approach to managing COVID is a pretty simple fix…but impossible for different reasons.
You could argue inroads to covid could also have been addressed early with major societal changes. E.g. the US for much of the early pandemic had various rules that saw covid tests cost people money, then it was only negative tests cost you money. Asymptomatic tests were not covered by insurance etc. Since Biden has been in, he's been addressing how the contribution or copay works so that individuals seeking a test were not left out of pocket, asymptomatic or not. Then there's the whole who pays for the treatments if you get covid? That's a huge societal issue that has driven much of the outcomes that many Americans aren't in control of. So I'm not sure they are "comfortable" but more so unwitting passengers on the policy train that didn't account for a diversion onto the pandemic line.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Not trying to make a false equivalency, I’m just uncomfortable with how comfortable many Americans are. A lot of cancer deaths could be avoided with major societal and lifestyle changes that most wouldn’t want to do. Their ‘fuck you, libtard’ approach to managing COVID is a pretty simple fix…but impossible for different reasons.
Maybe not comfortable, but resigned to the utter uselessness of their "healthcare" system. And yes, a lack of personal responsibility re lifestyle changes. Any society where medical bankruptcy or high amounts of medical debt is common, isn't a society, rather a darwin-style battle royale just to get by, for a sigificant part of the population. :(

cammas

Seamstress
I currently work a couple days in the office and a couple from home as we rotate shifts to keep interaction to a minimum, a woman who works next to me has been working from home for ages due to her young daughter and schools being shut etc.
She’s finally back at work this week come Tuesday she gets a call, her son’s work mate has Covid he thought it was hay fever. So she leaves to take her son to get tested and her boss, who was at my desk at the time suggests she should get tested as well considering they live together etc.
Well today I have a missed call from the site manager, call him back and informs me that woman’s son has tested positive and as precaution don’t come in as I have been deemed a close contact of her, yeah no worries I’ll get tested just to make sure.
Anyway her boss calls me as my job aligns with them as I am their planner, we are chatting as she’s in the same boat and already been to get tested, I ask what this woman’s test results were? She tells me she just spoke to her and she’s in the queue to get tested, I’m like WTF! She left early to take him to get tested but she didn’t get tested at the same time! Now I’m waiting on mine and her test results, if she’s positive we are going into iso.

Sorry for long story or rant but fuck if she got tested on Tuesday when she said she was, I wouldn’t be so pissed. My wife, daughter and I are all double vaxxed and we are masked up at work etc but still, now I’m waiting on a text message tomorrow plus thinking where I have been, I know I spent close to two hours in the optometrist finally getting some new glasses and I scan in everywhere.
Some good news she has come back as negative, her boss is negative
Now I just need my test results back as negative and it will be all good.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...you try spending over 100 days in isolation when not working on what is essentially a giant floating bomb that's getting more and more dangerous by the day because the manpower required for the essential care and maintenance over the last year and a half has not been there due to closed borders...
This sounds like a fuckup with your employer more than a covid issue. So if borders have to close for any reason (war for example) then all of these rigs turn into floating bombs? Why is there not enough manpower? Surely the powers that be just aren't paying enough and not making the right arrangements.

Also, doctors and nurses are probably at higher risk from catching covid and dying than the risk of your rig exploding. These people are now in a potentially deadly profession that none of them have signed up for all because a bunch of selfish twats can't wear some minimal PPE and properly keep to themselves for a couple of weeks.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
There were over 600k cancer deaths in the US in 2020. people didn't jump up and down about those either. Im unsure of the overall proportion of covid deaths in comparison to all other deaths in the US combined is, but i suspect that mortality increase overall would be in the low single digits - statistically significant, but not socially significant. .
death rate increase approx 1%, i can't find figures but i think US loses about 8000-9000 on any given normal day, nearly 3M/ year

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hey that helps the population issue as well! Nice one.
Can it be deployed from space via weather system?
It was a that moment that cobra commander chose to reveal himself. Had he played his hand too soon? Or was it time to reveal his plans for the weather dominator to those he hoped would support his quest for less people?

All but one of those is a shooting somewhere, mostly Detroit.
Yeah but houses are cheap and you can buy them site unseen...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Derby with a side serve of the spicy cough ;)
We can enter Tassie by driving directly to the boat. This applies right now -

We cant get back into SA at this current time.

SA will have to change the rules to allow us back in as currently, landing in Melbourne and driving straight to the SA border means 2 weeks quarantine.