COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You're not suggesting 'Western' countries have been prioritised during the vaccine rollout? But all the world leaders said that wouldn't happen! It must be #fakenews!
Well let the geography debate begin!!! Is not Africa part of the western hemisphere? All be it, the southern part. I'd google it, but you know...this place is smarter than google.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You're not suggesting 'Western' countries have been prioritised during the vaccine rollout? But all the world leaders said that wouldn't happen! It must be #fakenews!
No no. We offered Pfizer $12.99 a shot when the asking price was $89. This pushed us down the list quite nicely thank you very much

And we told CSL thanks but no thanks, they can throw it all in the creek out the back of the factory.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
It's vaccine hesitancy that's the problem in South Africa. They currently have more than enough vaccine for everyone (although this is unlikely to be the case in the surrounding countries).

Minlak

custom titis
So what is the deal with this new variant?
Get told is super bad borders shut everywhere quickly
Reading symptoms are more mild in healthy people
Reading elderly with co-morbidities most at risk
Get told resistant to vaccine - reading mild symptoms in those vaccinated and or healthy
Stock market suffers from the announcements
We were getting told that borders are opening and no more lockdowns for the borders to snap shut and talk of lockdowns
Sigh - I think I preferred when Cricket was Sexting and the headlines cared more about that than covid!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Get told is super bad borders shut everywhere quickly
Reading symptoms are more mild in healthy people
Reading elderly with co-morbidities most at risk
Get told resistant to vaccine - reading mild symptoms in those vaccinated and or healthy
Stock market suffers from the announcements
We were getting told that borders are opening and no more lockdowns for the borders to snap shut and talk of lockdowns
Sigh - I think I preferred when Cricket was Sexting and the headlines cared more about that than covid!
this is the new normal.

fingers crossed for s dominant variant at some point that does nothing and dies out.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I think the point is no-one knows. So rather than waiting to find out it's a serious problem when it's too late, jurisdictions are taking what steps they can to slow its incursion until more data can be collected and analysed to work out the questions you've flagged - is it more/less virulent/severe, are the vaccines we have more/less effective in combating it etc... Much easier to pause incoming travel from a handful of jurisdictions for a couple of weeks and watch what happens then to put the genie back in the bottle later.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I think the point is no-one knows. So rather than waiting to find out it's a serious problem when it's too late, jurisdictions are taking what steps they can to slow its incursion until more data can be collected and analysed to work out the questions you've flagged - is it more/less virulent/severe, are the vaccines we have more/less effective in combating it etc... Much easier to pause incoming travel from a handful of jurisdictions for a couple of weeks and watch what happens then to put the genie back in the bottle later.
weve seen what happens when things don't move quickly. I don't think the govt is equipped to make any inquireies that lead to changes fast enough despite now having some experience in this matter. By the time decisions get made, our experience says its usually too late. Now that said, this variant may not be the killer that people are worried about, but with the lackluster response, when one does emerge, we wont be on the front foot.

Realistically. Shit should be paused immediately while enquiries are made. Not carry on and we'll work it out as we go. We did that already back in December 2019.