Cracked bike insurance?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
You have inspired me to check our Allianz policy. The terms you have sounds familiar. Will have to check.

The last time I hit up Allianz for a claim on a leaky pergola took almost two years and I had to do some industrial strength kicking and screaming.

Cracking while JRA and being covered by insurance sure has me interested.
It was Allianz who insured the Alfa that was totalled in the hailstorm. Months of pain was involvedt...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
It was Allianz who insured the Alfa that was totalled in the hailstorm. Months of pain was involvedt...
Oh, might have to look at a change. They came as the default choice with the mortgage.

They debated the term 'storm damage' and their assessors who must be seen as successful if they can quietly knock back a claim.

GIO seems good. I have a friend who TV had some sort of power supply issue and it burnt out. Strangely, the fixed the TV instead of replacing it. Then about a year later it went up again and took out the living room. The smoke damage went through the A/C ducts and damaged every room upstairs.

They paid to get them accommodation for a few weeks and fixed the lot. Suppose it wasn't one of their best decisions first up but they came to the party later.

I shudder to think of the suffering that Allianz would hatch in the same situation.

teK--

Eats Squid
That's exactly the type of cover I wanted when I bought cycle cover gold.. except that policy covers damage when used in a race too.

Haakon

Oh, might have to look at a change. They came as the default choice with the mortgage.

They debated the term 'storm damage' and their assessors who must be seen as successful if they can quietly knock back a claim.

GIO seems good. I have a friend who TV had some sort of power supply issue and it burnt out. Strangely, the fixed the TV instead of replacing it. Then about a year later it went up again and took out the living room. The smoke damage went through the A/C ducts and damaged every room upstairs.

They paid to get them accommodation for a few weeks and fixed the lot. Suppose it wasn't one of their best decisions first up but they came to the party later.

I shudder to think of the suffering that Allianz would hatch in the same situation.
Yeah we changed the car to GIO - having bought the replacement Alfa new, its new for old for as long as we keep it comprehensively insured. Sp even if we keep it for 10 years and its written off they cough up a brand new car. And its not really any dealer a policy than Allianz was.

Still have the house contents with Allianz, but ill change that over when we move to Hobart.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yeah we changed the car to GIO - having bought the replacement Alfa new, its new for old for as long as we keep it comprehensively insured. Sp even if we keep it for 10 years and its written off they cough up a brand new car. And its not really any dealer a policy than Allianz was.

Still have the house contents with Allianz, but ill change that over when we move to Hobart.
Ah, no house in Tassie! Explains a few things.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

I might have to make some changes also. I guess I forgot about it once the pergola fiasco has been fixed but now remembering their fuckery.

That sounds like a good deal for the Alfa.

I probably lost interest as insurance is a dull as taxes and changing energy providers. I just don't want to know :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
(For a non warranty frame).
Surely isn’t a thing, but was discussing a cracked frame with mate’s wife recently, and she says that home insurance has replaced 2 of her husband’s frames. He wasn’t first owner on either, but she rang insurance company, they said to get LBS to quote a replacement, and then covered it.
I was floored, haven’t ever heard of this, and TBH, would feel like a wanker even trying it. No special insurance, just under H&C with RACV. Doesn’t cover a breakage at a race, they specified, but coveted for cracking with general use.
Surely this is insanity, or am I the only one not in the loop. I don’t think I’d even consider it, but anyone one else done this?

Maybe 10 years ago a friend of mine was insured by GIO and they covered the replacement of a second hand DH frame that he had purchased at whistler. The fame was already a few years old and he then proceeded to huck it senseless for a few more years. Then one day he went really big and it cracked. To be covered there had to be a critical incident that caused the issue (such as doing a big huck) rather than wear and tear. I'm not sure if they still offer such cover.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
As a long term CGU customer I would be interested to hear more about this @ozzybmx please?
No one could tell me if having so many bikes would be deemed a collection or single items of sporting equipment.

It would have been ok if it was just one or maybe 3 bikes stolen but if I was to loose 15-17 or how ever many we have at the moment by theft or fire, the collection could have maxed out at ~$10k or whatever it was at the time, unless the collection value was specified and then it would have added to the premium. I couldn't get an exact answer from any operator or anyone to send me email confirmation so I pulled my insurance.

The whole reason I had CGU Platinum was for accidental damage or theft of bikes away from the home and I needed them insured for full replacement value.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It would have been ok if it was just one or maybe 3 bikes stolen but if I was to loose 15-17 or how ever many we have at the moment by theft or fire, the collection could have maxed out at ~$10k or whatever it was at the time, unless the collection value was specified and then it would have added to the premium.
My insurance (through Velosure that's also home + contents) covers off a value of contents insurance plus an overall value for all bikes. So as long as the value of bikes is less than the overall insured figure then it's all good.

My policy used to cover damage while racing too, but they've switched underwriters and that's no longer offered (but premiums have been reduced as a result).

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
My insurance (through Velosure that's also home + contents) covers off a value of contents insurance plus an overall value for all bikes. So as long as the value of bikes is less than the overall insured figure then it's all good.

My policy used to cover damage while racing too, but they've switched underwriters and that's no longer offered (but premiums have been reduced as a result).
velosure do home and contents?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No one could tell me if having so many bikes would be deemed a collection or single items of sporting equipment.

It would have been ok if it was just one or maybe 3 bikes stolen but if I was to loose 15-17 or how ever many we have at the moment by theft or fire, the collection could have maxed out at ~$10k or whatever it was at the time, unless the collection value was specified and then it would have added to the premium. I couldn't get an exact answer from any operator or anyone to send me email confirmation so I pulled my insurance.

The whole reason I had CGU Platinum was for accidental damage or theft of bikes away from the home and I needed them insured for full replacement value.

Interesting...I am under the impression it is per item, but haven't had any specific conversations about such things for quote some time. Imagine owning a few bikes, some golf clubs, and snow sports equipment. That could easily get over $10k and should you suffer a catastrophic event such a house fire and loose it all, the insurance wouldn't be much use.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Interesting...I am under the impression it is per item, but haven't had any specific conversations about such things for quote some time. Imagine owning a few bikes, some golf clubs, and snow sports equipment. That could easily get over $10k and should you suffer a catastrophic event such a house fire and loose it all, the insurance wouldn't be much use.
Agents surmised but nobody would send me an email confirming they would not be deemed a 'collection'.
Both my home and holiday place are insured under the same policy for H&C with accidental damage and theft so it's a fck load of $$$ a year.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Agents surmised but nobody would send me an email confirming they would not be deemed a 'collection'.
Both my home and holiday place are insured under the same policy for H&C with accidental damage and theft so it's a fck load of $$$ a year.
Indeed, insurance companies aren't giving coverage away!

Haakon

I’ve got all my bike listed individually with a dollar value - both the roadie as a portable and all the rest as just insured for being pinched from the shed.

I have the Mongoose especially over insured. Haven’t ridden it in a couple of years I think, but it’s still the one I’d be most upset to lose!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have the Mongoose especially over insured. Haven’t ridden it in a couple of years I think, but it’s still the one I’d be most upset to lose!
I understand. Chain that Goose to a U bolt in the shed and park it right at the back.

It isn't just the $$$ value.