Cracked frame or scratch?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's understandable given the bike has previous form for it.
I just think carbon frames are always going to need checking just to be sure.

golden path

Banned
It's teh Wunderkind material.

Hence all the threads like "Is this a crack / this is a crack / I've just heard a crack / pressed my headset in and made a crack / my brand new frame's got a defect or crack / et al."

golden path

Banned
Yeah, they all can fail, just seems to be a shitload "Is this a crack?" threads or "My bike cracked" threads that subsequently feature carbon MTB's.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
2 months and 301km...

Good news is after waiting nearly 2 months the warranty frame Giant said they would send out for that strange 'cosmetic' defect on the last one (^^^) arrived this week.

Good timing!

Arrived in Tathra last night and while drying the bike at 3am with a torch as you do (rain on the drive up) you guessed it, found cracks just like the previous one. Same '2 different looking' cracks, one above and one below the main pivot.

Travis.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just trying to understand, you received a new frame from Giant this week? Was it a 2016 or 17 style frame?

And you have not ridden it, and it has cracks? Pre-cracks?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Arrived in Tathra last night and while drying the bike at 3am with a torch as you do (rain on the drive up) you guessed it, found cracks just like the previous one. Same '2 different looking' cracks, one above and one below the main pivot.
Nooooo.... I gather this is even before you have had to a chance to try making your own cracks. I would wave the white flag now and get something else, even a beefier model if Giant could be kind enough.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nooooo.... I gather this is even before you have had to a chance to try making your own cracks. I would wave the white flag now and get something else, even a beefier model if Giant could be kind enough.
Forget that.. it's time to go all "Guns of the Navarone.."
No?

Ok, something you can actually get home without cracking then. And I'll have my money back whilst you're taking your time about a replacement. #patienceofasaint

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Haha na sorry should have been clearer. Got a call Tues night from LBS saying good news, the replacement has arrived bring my bike in and he'll get it swapped over asap, i said sweet! But off to Tathra so ill bring it in next week if that works. Havent used this previous frame much over the last 2 months but was excited to hear the replacement frame had finally arrived cos that 'defect' bugged the shit out of me.

Got up here last night (well 3am this morning and unpacked and dried the bike to bring it into the accom.... Found the cracks then. Only small atm but exactly the same as the last one. Be interesting to see if they get any bigger this weekend.

Id be pissed but whats the point, knowing there's a frame waiting for me helps. 4th times a charm maybe... Haha yeh right.

I know i said it eariler that if this one went it loose my shit but been caught off guard with the good news from Tues. Guess ill test the waters a lil next week and just see what everyone involved has to say, there is absolutely no doubt about it this is just going to keep happening over and over again!

Travis.

Edited to add: Honestly i guess im a dreamer, i always think maybe this one will be different, this one wont crack. I freaking love my bike these days. Have put so much time and energy and money into setting it up, and looking after it like it beyond what most would call normal lol, i honestly want to believe the next one will last... Only kidding myself it seems.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Surely this must be pretty widespread though. Pretty impressive to crack even before you use it and in a way saves you the trouble of having to do it for yourself.

Maybe they mixed up the signs at Giant's pile o' frames where the 'Cracked Frames - Do Not Use' got mixed up with the 'New Frames for Warranty Claims'.

Oh well, go a plain gauge 4130 and your problems should be solved.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just bought a Trance Advance, not expecting it to crack like the Anthem. Came here to say that in my looking and visiting Giant stores there is a theme that shops are not stocking the Anthem Advance. The one that has about 4 on the floor have not sold in in quite a while.

In saying that. A friend has been riding his 29er Anthem Advanced on DH trails, in RTE Rollercoaster events and hucking it off shit that a 160mm bike is made for and nothing wrong with it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I just bought a Trance Advance, not expecting it to crack like the Anthem. Came here to say that in my looking and visiting Giant stores there is a theme that shops are not stocking the Anthem Advance. The one that has about 4 on the floor have not sold in in quite a while.

In saying that. A friend has been riding his 29er Anthem Advanced on DH trails, in RTE Rollercoaster events and hucking it off shit that a 160mm bike is made for and nothing wrong with it.
A mate bought an alloy Trance in 2016 best thing he's ever done.

stevexg

Likes Bikes
Hey guys/ Travis22, I'm currently on my 2nd frame and found another crack today....
Anyone know if Giant are still have stock of 100mm / non boost frames?
I don't want another one, wanted to know the chances of a new model?
Even one of the top alloy ones. It's getting a bit ridiculous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Steve, i dare say Giant would have plenty of stock remaining for warranty. My LBS just recieved a bunch of frames last week (couple months worth) general trend ive experienced is each warranty frame has taken 2-3months so not sure if thats any indication they are coming from OS or not, plenty of others seem to get their frames in a couple weeks so maybe just pot luck.

Can only ask i guess but id say you'll need to really force your point to get anything from Giant other then just 'another' frame which will as you've found likely just crack again... Given you have been through a few frames already (like myself) id say you have a fair case to push. Deff keep us posted with how you get on.

Travis.

stevexg

Likes Bikes
Thanks Travis, will try and get it to the shop next week.
Might have to wait until the next few crack before I can upgrade....
Will update when I get an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Travis & Steve, Time to end the bullshit. Contact consumer affairs, get one of their officers on the case, demand refund. your choice, just saying.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Really... suggest you google DIN EN ISO 4210 Part 2.....
As far as I can tell this is not a compulsory standard required for bikes to be saleable in any markets (although compliance can improve your legal situation if you are sued for negligence). They are design and testing guidelines for a pretty restricted set of circumstances. For example it does not apply to any bike used where the wheels leave the ground ("aerobatic manoeuvres") or raced. In other words, most quality MTBs are not covered by this standard, and in fact compliance with ISO 4210 could be used to justify a design which is significantly under-engineered for strength or fatigue endurance under real-world use cases.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Travis & Steve, Time to end the bullshit. Contact consumer affairs, get one of their officers on the case, demand refund. your choice, just saying.
If frame #4 go's the same way then ill certainly be asking Giant directly if they have any other options for a resolution, i havent had anything to do with Giant thus far my LBS has done all the work and i feel really bad for them. I dont think we're at consumer affairs straight away given they havent done anything wrong by me really, warranty claims have been made and they have approved them, replacing the frame(S). Sure; im pretty positive (now) they shouldnt be issuing more frames that will only fail again but again up until now i have genuinly hoped the 'next' frame would survive, but its pretty clear that is more then just wishful thinking now. That said again, i absolutely do hope this frame doesnt crack and i can just enjoy riding it!

Got my bike back tonight, all built up by the boss, couldnt be happier atm (24hr turn around since getting back from Tathra - my legs arent even ready to get back on the bike yet haha) tho i havent really looked over it (but i did get that rear brake cable replaced ;) ). Tho i do have to head back in in the morning to get the top mount front derailleur cover plate off my old frame to put on this one (WTF dont they come with one from the factory!!!)

Travis.

pliskin

Likes Dirt
back to the shop we go.
not sure if im just being pedantic and its nothing again , but feeling obligated to check the frame after each ride is annoying.
this is below the top tube, its been magnified, its def not a scratch this time, its under the clear coat .

Attachments

Last edited: