Crank Bros Cobalt and SRAM XX Cassette??? + 142 x 12

MARKL

Eats Squid
Started fitting drivetrain to new blinging bike and...

Wheel set is Crank Bros Cobalt, XX cassette, bikes is a Cube Sting with a 142x12 axle.

So I install the cassette and it just clears the spoke flanges on the hub, install on bike. Start tightning the rear axle and the cassette/hub touch each other and lock together.

Anyone had this problem before? Any cure?

The only thing I can think of is to install a very thin washer/s to move the cassette out enough to clear the spoke flange on the hub. The concern I have with this is will it put an excessive load on the bearings/hub?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yes, using one of these is sometimes required to make the cassette sit properly on the hub. Fit, check, ride.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
yes - same issue with Industry 9 wheel. Some cassettes have small pins on the back of them - go with ones that dont - most sram should be cool but a spacer might be required. Worst case remove you smallest cog and add a spacer to ensure clearance but have one less gear.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
My Cobalts came with three thin plastic spacer washers for just this very purpose. Didn't need to use them because the OE Shimano 10spd cassette fitted fine...