Crank Bros XC Wheels

RMB

Likes Dirt
Im after a new set of high end xc wheels, just wondering if anyone has a set of these wheels as they are on top of my list?

DW-1

Dirt Works
Im after a new set of high end xc wheels, just wondering if anyone has a set of these wheels as they are on top of my list?
well all I can tell you is that our first delivery (6 pairs) sold out straight away (well all br one pair) and the follow up shipment is ready for shipping any day. (so another week or so)

We'll also have them in the new Champane colour. (as well as the blue).

Willo @ Enduro magazine has a pair for testing at the moment.

Elvis.
(who would kill for a pair of Cobalt in red...)

RMB

Likes Dirt
well all I can tell you is that our first delivery (6 pairs) sold out straight away (well all br one pair) and the follow up shipment is ready for shipping any day. (so another week or so)

We'll also have them in the new Champane colour. (as well as the blue).

Willo @ Enduro magazine has a pair for testing at the moment.

Elvis.
(who would kill for a pair of Cobalt in red...)
What is the price for a pair of cobolt blue?

DW-1

Dirt Works
What is the price for a pair of cobalt blue?
local rrp should be around $1650 (but shop around... I know that some of the local guys were offering them a little lower);)

Elvis.

Last edited:

RMB

Likes Dirt
Thanx mate, been looking on ebay,can get a set for around $1200 delivered with warranty.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Thanx mate, been looking on ebay,can get a set for around $1200 delivered with warranty.
via an Australian store?

I only ask as Crank Brothers stance is that ebay goods are 2nd hand and carry no manufacturers warranty. Be careful.

Last edited:

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
(this is just personal opinion)
i wouldnt go with CB wheels, after owning 3 different sets of their pedals and the bearings being shit on all of them, i can't imagine that their wheels would be all that good.

yes they do look good, yeah the spoke design is pretty cool. but yes you can get other wheels that look good and yes you do have to wait for NASA to build you a new spoke when it snaps.

id say go something reliable and easily serviced (and less expensive). hopes/xtrs on ZTR olympics?
similar weight, and easily serviced.

herzog

Likes Dirt
via an Australian store?

I only ask as Crank Brothers stance is that ebay goods are 2nd hand and carry no manufacturers warranty. Be careful.
Just as an aside on warranty in general in regard to wheels.

Is a rim failure ever covered by warranty anyway? How do you prove you didn't do a 10 foot huck, or have a crash or something?

RMB

Likes Dirt
I dont think warranty is going to be an issue with the rims but maybe when it comes to the hubs!

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My old boss in canada has been running a set on his race bike since about september last year. He was given them by someone from crankbros when they fist hit the shelves. He races enduro stage races (BC bike race, transrockies, La Ruda etc.),longer XC events and lives on the north shore so they cop quite a workout. The wheels stayed straight (although he is a smaller guy) but he had an issue with the freehub body. After a month or so of riding it developed a slight "miss" every so often. Nothing too major but it did have a slight crunch feel when it would happen. We pulled it off and could find nothing wrong and no evidence of any problem. He chose to use his "ol faithfull" chris kings @ La Ruda (insane costa rican epic) while crank bros sorted it out. As far as i'm aware the problem is fixed and was a one-off as far as they were aware. apart from that I think their quality is fantastic. Yeah the spoke may take a little longer to get then a regular spoke but they are all the same lenght so it wouldnt be hard to get a spare to put in your kit.