Crank length?

nelson-dh

Likes Bikes
so im thinking about getting raceface atlas FR cranks. But there are 3 lengths, 165mm, 170m and 175mm. I would like to know whats the difference between the crank lengths and what benefits there are of the 3 choices.

cheers
nelson.

fleebag

Likes Bikes
measure your inside leg and google correct crank length.
Sheldon Brown had a lot to say also so try a google- Sheldon Brown crank length.

some people feel shorter crank is good for spinners while longer crank is good for those who prefer to grind a bigger gear.

I run 175/ 170 and 172.5 and couldn't say i notice a lot of difference between the bikes with differing sizes.

What have you been using till now? How did it feel? Any Knee probs?

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As this is in the downhill section, id be saying depending on frame and your leg length go for a 165mm.

Most new frames these days are getting lower BB's so the clearance with longer cranks is reduced meaning you'll have more chance of hitting them on rocks etc..

Most downhillers tend to run the 165's or 170's.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Not to hijack (too much) but I've got a set of Atlas AM's 170mm for sale; they're brand new. Pm me if you're keen :D

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I opted for a 170mm Atlas on my build ... and I now wish I'd gone the 165mm ... I don't think for DH its a function of leg length ... but BB height ... your standing most of time anywho and is 5 or 10mm really gonna make a difference to your pedal stroke when your seat is prolly slammed anyway (or 20 to 40 mm shorter then it prolly should be).

So if your not hitting your crank arms now whilst pedalling, I'd stick with that length ... but if you are then go shorter.

note, my BB is 30 to 35cm depending on who you believe ... nothing worst then smacking a pedal mid turn or in a rock garden

T-Rex

Template denier
For DH it's pretty much about BB height and ground clearance when pedalling, as stated by others.

What sort of frame do you have? If you have, for example a Sunday, which has a very low BB height, a bit over 13", I would definately go 165mm. If you have over 14", you could go 170, but IMO the default is 165, and you should come up with a good reason to use anything different.

fairy1

Banned
Yup I'd go the 165's as well, leverage means nothing if you have enough ratios and with people now going back to six(or so) gears I'd say the ratio thing isn't a problem either.

nelson-dh

Likes Bikes
thanks for all the help guys, so either 165mm or 170mm best options? and i ride a 09 norco team DH, which has a low BB height. so yeah ill speak to the local bikeshop because they all ride DH and see what they recommend.