CrankBrothers Opium Wheelset?

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very interested in getting a set of Crankbro's Opium's, aslong as I can find some decent reviews on them, as I couldn't find any on MTBR, etc...
I'm just a bit unsure on how strong they are, so how they'd hold up to dints/buckles. I'd probably weigh 75-80kg's geared up, and I wouldn't classify myself as a hack, but neither would I call myself super smooth.

So has anyone experienced them or know some who has? If so how are they going?

Cheers, Daniel. :)

JP

Likes Dirt
They have a review in the latest Mountain Biking australia. As it's the Nov/Dec/Jan issue it should still be in the shops. If you can't find it PM your email and I'll scan it for you.

They got a pretty good review, which seemed to surprise the reviewer. I reckon they look the goods, but are very, very $$$!

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They have a review in the latest Mountain Biking australia. As it's the Nov/Dec/Jan issue it should still be in the shops. If you can't find it PM your email and I'll scan it for you.

They got a pretty good review, which seemed to surprise the reviewer. I reckon they look the goods, but are very, very $$$!
Ah sick, i'll have a look at the newsagent and see if i can find it, if not i'll PM you.
That's good, will defininatly have to read it somehow, because i'm not risking buying them without any reviews. Working in a bike shop solves the price issue. ;)

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh bother, thanks anyway, atleast i know the cobalts are decent so hopefully the same apply's to the opiums. Shall have to keep searching then.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Very interested in getting a set of Crankbro's Opium's, aslong as I can find some decent reviews on them, as I couldn't find any on MTBR, etc...
I'm just a bit unsure on how strong they are, so how they'd hold up to dints/buckles. I'd probably weigh 75-80kg's geared up, and I wouldn't classify myself as a hack, but neither would I call myself super smooth.

So has anyone experienced them or know some who has? If so how are they going?

Cheers, Daniel. :)
we did send a set of iodines to AMB. (I know... I know... not opiums either...)

Might talk to the guys at (R)evolution and see if they want to review a set...

Hang on... they DID review a set. The red ones. recent issue too. (I think Matt Holmes fitted them up to an Intense)

Elvis.

Jimass

Eats Squid
They're fantastic, one of my mates who ruins rims has had his for quite some time and has only cracked his back one, but in comparison he absolutely wrecked a MTX and WTB in the same day.

EDIT: And they don't dint easily either.

Last edited:

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
we did send a set of iodines to AMB. (I know... I know... not opiums either...)

Might talk to the guys at (R)evolution and see if they want to review a set...

Hang on... they DID review a set. The red ones. recent issue too. (I think Matt Holmes fitted them up to an Intense)

Elvis.
Ah cool, will look through my collection of Revo's to see if I can find it.
I know DW are currently closed, but you wouldn't happen to know whether you've currently got them stock? And are the rims and nipples available as spare parts?
If all goes to plan i'll be ordering some on the 4th when you guys open up again. :D

They're fantastic, one of my mates who ruins rims has had his for quite some time and has only cracked his back one, but in comparison he absolutely wrecked a MTX and WTB in the same day.

Thats great, looks can be decieving I guess.

Thanks heaps guys. :)

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Elvis.
Found a review on page 32 done by Matt Holmes in the August edition of Revo. Dosnt say anything about him riding them though.

:cool:

.Alex.

Likes Bikes and Dirt

yea jack is right, you know mac mestmoor? he has them they are amazing i would kill for a pair and supposedly they are easyer to true

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Found a review on page 32 done by Matt Holmes in the August edition of Revo. Dosnt say anything about him riding them though.

:cool:
Yeah, found the article and it's pretty much just a description of them, which is all i can find on the internet. :(

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ordered a set of these on special from CRC. Ummed and arred for ages, and just bit the bullet. I actually went the green ones, Sage. I ride 90% DH, and the SAGE are for FR, but I didnt mind the extra weight for the added strength. They are yet to arrive, but once they do, Ill build the bike and stick some photos and a review up for you...

Going on an Evil Revolt with BOS forks...

Should go well... heres hoping :)

...thousands later...

Judd.

kym machin

Likes Dirt
opium wheelset

Hey Mate,

I have a set of the Crank Bros Opiums and they're an awesome wheel set. I'm about 90+ kgs all geared up and I've had no problems at all . I'm no Sam Hill but i don't ride like Rennie or Kovarik either. I have ran Mavic 721's ,723's and 823's also my Crossmax xl, Dt Swiss 1750's, Atomlab pimp ( a little heavy but ran really well, tough as) and Sun Ringle Equalizer. Compared to any of these wheel set i feel they're as stiff or as tough (no flex which i was worried about) and as light as the Dt swiss and mavic brands. I'm no pro but im a semi fussy rider. I bought them because they cost just over a grand so very well priced against the Deemax and 2350's (which my brother in law rides) also in my opinion the sweetest looking wheel set as well. They are anodized so no sticker peel and they just look so much neater. I have rode with one other guy thats got them and he's 100+ kg geared up and he's had no problems either ( he also the owner of a bike shop as well ) just one small dent he did on the first ride at Illinbah when he crash in the rock garden. I hope this helps your decision of gives you a bit better idea, just give me a p.m if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Kym

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Mate,

I have a set of the Crank Bros Opiums and they're an awesome wheel set. I'm about 90+ kgs all geared up and I've had no problems at all . I'm no Sam Hill but i don't ride like Rennie or Kovarik either. I have ran Mavic 721's ,723's and 823's also my Crossmax xl, Dt Swiss 1750's, Atomlab pimp ( a little heavy but ran really well, tough as) and Sun Ringle Equalizer. Compared to any of these wheel set i feel they're as stiff or as tough (no flex which i was worried about) and as light as the Dt swiss and mavic brands. I'm no pro but im a semi fussy rider. I bought them because they cost just over a grand so very well priced against the Deemax and 2350's (which my brother in law rides) also in my opinion the sweetest looking wheel set as well. They are anodized so no sticker peel and they just look so much neater. I have rode with one other guy thats got them and he's 100+ kg geared up and he's had no problems either ( he also the owner of a bike shop as well ) just one small dent he did on the first ride at Illinbah when he crash in the rock garden. I hope this helps your decision of gives you a bit better idea, just give me a p.m if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Kym
Sounds Great. Thanks heaps Kym.
By the sound of it strength isn't going to be too much of a problem. Just tossing up whether it's worth it or not now.