Crankbrothers V Shimano

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
What's people's thoughts on these two different forms of clips? I'm into Enduro racing and want to know what you guys think in terms or suitability and reliability. I'd love to hear your own personal experiences or from those riding buddies you ride with.

Thanks in advance

wotsis

Likes Dirt
What's people's thoughts on these two different forms of clips? I'm into Enduro racing and want to know what you guys think in terms or suitability and reliability. I'd love to hear your own personal experiences or from those riding buddies you ride with.

Thanks in advance
If you do a quick Google you should be able to establish that 1) Shimano is about as reliable as pedals get and 2) Crank Brothers have incredibly variable durability (some people have no problems for years, others break multiple sets in months). There's luck of the draw, but Crank Brothers probably has one of the worst reputations for product reliability out there.

For what it's worth, I had Eggbeater SLs for a couple of months. They didn't break, but I didn't like how they ejected my feet whenever the pedal struck a rock so I ditched them. I've also used Shimano and Time with no problems.

I know two other people who rode CB. One has happily been on the same set for a couple of years, the other had his set blow up within the first couple of weeks of ownership.

If you want reliable and float, get Times or Speedplays. If you want reliable and very positive engagement (and no float) get Shimanos.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tried all sorts of both for a number of years and now only use Time. Great quality, feel, mud shedding and don't hurt my knees. I suppose I could go back to Shimano (doubtful) but would never go back to Crank Bros.

wotsis

Likes Dirt
Oh, I wasn't trying to be snarky. It's more that a very small sample isn't going to get you reliable results, but if you look online for failure reports you get a better view of things, and CB seems to outstrip every other brand combined.

The two things they have going for them is mud shedding and weight if you get Eggbeaters.

Personally, I've been most consistently on Times for the last 15 years. I still have an original set from back then too. I've tried Shimano (good), CB (pedal eject problems) and Look Quartz (bloody terrible).

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm still on the same pair of Shimanos that came on my bike in 2008. Still going gangbusters.

wotsis said:
If you want reliable and float, get Times or Speedplays. If you want reliable and very positive engagement (and no float) get Shimanos.
My bold. I can assure you that Shimano DO have float, and anyone who tells you otherwise needs to clean the mud out of their cleats.

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
Oh, I wasn't trying to be snarky. It's more that a very small sample isn't going to get you reliable results, but if you look online for failure reports you get a better view of things, and CB seems to outstrip every other brand combined.
Didn't take you to be snarky at all mate. Just I've really been given great advice to my posts and those of others, and really respect the diverse range of views and experience.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by float and therefore its importance. Can someone please explain it to me please. I'm still learning all of the terminology.

Cheers for all the input to date.

Last edited:

disappearin

Likes Dirt
I use crank bros pedals. Eggbeaters on my roadie and candy pedals on my mtb. I've had no real issues with them over the last couple of years but they do bend easier then shimano pedals which can be an issue if your prone to bashing pedals. It's for this reason I use the candy's on my mtb.
The float is basically the amount of movement you have before it releases. From memory shimano have about 6 degree of float while the crank bros have 15 or 20 degree of float depending on the how you fit the cleats.

ADD

Likes Dirt
I used shimano then went to crank bros candys for a couple of years and am now back on shimano XT trails. I got sick of replacing the cleats on the crank bros as they're expensive and wear out too bloody fast. The pedals also require more frequent servicing.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
My bold. I can assure you that Shimano DO have float, and anyone who tells you otherwise needs to clean the mud out of their cleats.
I always thought they had about 8 degrees of float - which biomechanically would be spot on as most people feet face slightly outwards / 7 degrees. Although having a look on the shimano website I can't see any reference to this (the yellow road cleats certainly do). I also angle my cleats slightly so I sit right in the middle the float - been using SPD for 18 years now, never a problem, so I am a little biased towards SPD above all others.

Go shimano if you only decided between them and CB.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm not sure what you guys mean by float and therefore its importance. Can someone please explain it to me please. I'm still learning all of the terminology.
As explained a couple of posts up, "float" is the small amount of rotation that the cleat can make in the pedal before it begins to release. Having some float makes setting up cleat position slightly less critical, and allows for minor misaligments in the legs that can cause the feet to point at different angles depending on knee angle. Fixed cleats, which have no float, can put a lot of strain on the knees if they're not set up totally accurately.

As far as I know, only road pedals have the option of zero-float cleats.

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
Thanks for clearing up float for me and for other advice. I've looked at the other brands of pedals mentioned earlier as a result of them being mentioned. Interesting reading!

Appreciate all the thoughts and information offered here.

Thank you

T-Rex

Template denier
Had Crank Bros on all the bikes for a few years, then replaced the lot with Shimano after an unintended release from a worn cleat nearly killed me.

The biggest problem with CB is the brass cleats, that wear out really fast if you walk around on them. This is more of an issue doing downhill, as you spend all day walking around the pits, pushing up sections etc etc. It would be less of a problem if you just do enduro, where you wont do as much walking (hopefully).

The other annoying features are that the retainers break from time to time, and can self release if you bash the underside of a pedal on a rock.

The major benefit is that they are better than Shimano in the mud, much easier to clip in if you've got mud stuck all over the sole of your shoe and/or the pedal. You would want to do a lot of mud riding to buy them for this feature imo.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
From experience with using both, Shimano.
When it comes to pedals, they just live on forever. Cleats last longer too and they have a more solid feel of engagement.
You can also pickup replacement shimano cleats anywhere. Every bike shop has em.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
If you want reliable get Shimano XT or 540.
The current XTR have some issues with the axle breaking and the pedal body detaching. But XTR does carry a 2 year warranty.
I am about to try some egg beaters purely for the weight loss.

slowmick

38-39"
Shimano all the way.

Started off on cheap VP. Moved onto Shimano caged m646 pedals. Awesome pedals but beat them to death with a rock. Would have bought more but they stopped making them.

Bought a pair of CB mallets as they had an alloy cage rather than the resiin of the new shimanos. The cage wore and the springs used to move around which would jam the pedals open. not good on a down hill. Had them serviced and it almost cost as much as a new set of pedals. when i got them back the spindles were in the wrong pedals.

I now use Shimano DX pedals. They are awesome. I have three sets. Not sure about now but when i bought the first pair they were half the price of the Mallets. They may not be the lightest or flashest pedal but they keep working until you turn them to a pile of broken parts. Having a cage around the pedal is great if you pop out of the pedal after taking off from a jump or if you can't clip in after dabbing a foot - it's nice to have something substantial to stand on.

Buy Shimano, forget about pedals, ride bike.:thumb:

Slowman

Likes Dirt
First off, here is a good resource http://www.mtbr.com if you want some kind of a quantified rating given by users of products.

Second, I have used eggbeaters for years now, and yes they can die at times. The bearings and bushings can fail and then the pedal can come straight off the spindle. You need to keep a few spare pedal bearings and bushings. There are CB bearing and bushing kits but the bearings are standard sizes and you can get them dirt cheap from bearing manufacturers. Greasing the pedals periodically will increase the bearing life but ultimately they will fail and need replacement.

While it is true that if you jam your pedal down on a rock or other object it can release the cleat it is not a big deal; just clip in again. Shimano SPDs can release too under these circumstances though they are less prone to. I like the fact that CBs are 4 sided entry and also very easy to get out of. I used Shimano SPDs for a few years and was forever being trapped in them. Mud, wood or bark chips from logs can all foul the retention system and keep your cleat jammed in the pedal. The simplicity of eggbeaters mean they clear mud and other obstacles very easily.

Aside from their maintenance issues, eggbeaters I think, are just easier to use and that is why I have kept using them for the last 10 years and continue using them. Being light is also a bonus for XC use as well. I have not had the wear issues with the cleats. They do wear but seem to last me 5+ years before there is any issue.

finksta

Likes Dirt
I've been using crank bros candy pedals for about 4 years. When they are working, I love them, Herein lies the problem though. I've decided I've had enough of the unreliability and have switched to Shimano. In the time period I have been using CB, I've had to rebuild 4 times, had to throw one pair out (just under 12 months old and they wouldn't warranty them) I must have gone through about 6 sets of cleats (I had a bad crash after a worn cleat pulled out unintentionally). Maybe I've been unlucky, but I've decided it's time to try something else.

I got the xtr trail pedals and so far so good. They do feel a lot different to CB, a more positive feeling of engagement and a lot more secure, but once I got used to that I actually like it. Only time will tell on the durability of them, but it's a lot harder to find a bad review of the Shimanos.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

wotsis

Likes Dirt
While it is true that if you jam your pedal down on a rock or other object it can release the cleat it is not a big deal; just clip in again. Shimano SPDs can release too under these circumstances though they are less prone to. I like the fact that CBs are 4 sided entry and also very easy to get out of. I used Shimano SPDs for a few years and was forever being trapped in them. Mud, wood or bark chips from logs can all foul the retention system and keep your cleat jammed in the pedal. The simplicity of eggbeaters mean they clear mud and other obstacles very easily.
This is not the same. The Crank Brothers retention system uses two clips that run through both sides (or all 4 'sides' if you look at Eggbeaters) so that an impact to the bottom of the pedal opens up the clips at the top of the pedal, ejecting the cleat.

Shimano pedals use an independent retention mechanism for each side of the pedal, so a strike on the pedal underside does not open up the clips on the topside. The only reason your foot might come out is if you slam into something so hard that your heel swivels out enough to perform a standard disengagement move, whereas with CB it can happen for very light rock strikes.

The Time XS pedals share a similar design to Crank Bros and have the same ejection flaw. The Time ROC series use independent retention bars and don't have this problem. The ROC series also use retention bars (vs aluminium) and so are more durable than the XS series, but a bit heavier.