Crash Pics Thread

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Trail pic from the other night. Got the end of the bar hooked up on a wee little sapling on a downhill section of fire road. It won.

crash2_zps38386c8e.jpg

Flint

Likes Dirt
Some happy snaps from my recent crash at MT Stromlo. I shattered my Tibial Plateau into 4 bits when I came off my DH bike on my "last run" of a club shuttle day. The place I crashed was not a downhill type part of the track just the start of the flow track which begins with 2 small doubles you can just roll over. I generally roller over the 1st then double the 2nd just before the 1st berm. I am not sure what I did wrong that particular run but I tilted to the right in the air and when I landed the front wheel washed out and I came down on my knee (or foot, I don't really remember). I expect I anticipated the berm a bit early an that is why I lent to the right.

Anyway I came down with a crunch as I felt the bones break and slid to stop half way up the berm. Untangling myself from the bike and dragging my sorry ass off the track was rather painful. Some very helpful guys from out of town were behind me by about 20 seconds so they quickly had the situation in hand with calling for help, directing other riders and trying to get me comfortable.

I was fully kitted out in body armor, the only bit lacking was a neck brace, knee's and shins were covered but this kind of break is from a high impact, (like jumping off a roof), so no knee or shin guard was going help a great deal.

The 1st operation was to pull my leg out straight via the external rods. The 2nd OP was to add 3 plates and around 20 screws, the 3rd and 4th OP's were to close up the wounds once the swelling had gone down enough. Note: the xray pic is not my leg but it looks pretty much the same.

I am looking at 8 weeks with no weight bearing, 3 months on crutches and a full year to recover.

Fun times....

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 755
  • 0 bytes Views: 758
  • 0 bytes Views: 761
  • 0 bytes Views: 764
  • 0 bytes Views: 769
Last edited:

abennyy

Likes Bikes
Otb

No pics of crash. But over the bars on a night ride = 4 fractures in my pelvis + 5 ribs. No skin off lots of bruises.
A week in hospital doped to the eyeballs + 6 weeks in a wheel chair.
Now the fun begins physio, hopefully back on the pedals before Christmas. .IMG_645638546071074.jpeg

Flint

Likes Dirt
Wow, you must have been moving pretty quick or did you land on a big rock?

I should be ready to start riding again just in time for winter :(