Cushcore or DoubleDown

nathanm

Eats Squid
Got a couple of races coming up on courses that have proven tough on rims due to plenty of rocks.
So what's the best option, cushcore and a trail tyre or Double Down casing?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Cushcore or a DH casing with plenty of psi.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Cushcore and DD rear

Whatever up front… DD for me no Cushcore… exo+ might be enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I'm 73kg and Rimpact with Exo casing is enough for me. Have smacked into plenty of stuff hard enough I thought I would kill my tyre or rim but it keeps rolling

nathanm

Eats Squid

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
In all honesty I'm frightened to both fit cushcore with a DD tyre and then try and get it off again when needed without prior experience. plus the extra 500gms of rotating mass?
You'll only need to take it off when tyre is bald...... the weight penalty is what it is

jrewing

Eats Squid
Run the Cushcore and DD. I like to know I can send the rough stuff knowing I’m safe. I also run 28-30psi.
but again wire bead Maxxpro 60a DH minion dhf isn’t much heavier than a DD tyre as the compound isn’t as dense as gummy rubber.
you’re heavy so you’ll like the stiffer knobs in corners especially at speed. Rolls fast too. Tried it all and if it’s dry I run nothing else. Lacing rims gets old fast.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't recall Mack 10 being overly rocky, I was thinking you meant more like Tea Trees, Pandani, Clarence DH, Shearpin style. Sounds like an insert of some sort is a good idea though - Cushcore Pro might be a bit overkill but if it's what you have it might be worth running.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
In all honesty I'm frightened to both fit cushcore with a DD tyre and then try and get it off again when needed without prior experience. plus the extra 500gms of rotating mass?
Could you lose 40kg before the race? I don't think I'd stress about 500g vs puncturing on a race.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Could you lose 40kg before the race? I don't think I'd stress about 500g vs puncturing on a race.
Man I wish, I'd be happy to lose 4kg atm. I'm more interested in rim preservation than puncturing, couple of sniper rocks got me last time I rode there.
I don't recall Mack 10 being overly rocky, I was thinking you meant more like Tea Trees, Pandani, Clarence DH, Shearpin style. Sounds like an insert of some sort is a good idea though - Cushcore Pro might be a bit overkill but if it's what you have it might be worth running.

Theres a few sections where they've left a few nasty rocks littered amongst the hardpack, right where you land after a few booters. Will certainly come in handy though for Maydena and Derby trips in the next few months as well.

PJO

in me vL comy
Not overly rocky but a few places where there are some nice sharp rocks, poor line choice and low tyre pressure would not be good.
@nathanm just make sure you ride good.
Also if you are going to use Cushcore, it changes the volume of your tyre and makes it feel harder than what it would normally be.