Customer Service Warning

Haakon

Keeps on digging
No. Warranties are an obligation of the retailer to repair or replace the products they sell if they are proven to be faulty. Warranties are a legally binding agreement but even then do not substitute or override consumer law which offers greater protection again, as the product must be fit for purpose which often extends well outside of the manufacturers timeframe.

As an example if you buy a bike with a 12 month warranty and the frame snaps after 13 months the bike is/was not "fit for purpose" as a frame should last longer than barely a year and under consumer law you would be entitled to a replacement. This is an example only.

On a tangent, the thing with bike warranties that shits me the most is when they replace the "frame" but refuse to fit the parts from the old bike or worse yet, if the specs change they make you buy replacement parts to suit the new frame. This is a breach of consumer law, but I digest.

Ultimately the issue lies with how far the consumer wishes to push the issue as if the retailer and/or manufacturer refuses to honour the warranty or consumer law then your recourse is ACCC, which are a toothless tiger, or court proceedings.

You will need everything in writing however so yes, an email to the store detailing all the issues is vital to get their response.

OH64 best course of action now/after the response, is to call the manufacturer (or their agent) and attempt to deal directly with them. If they still get no joy them Merida directly and then ACCC or then court.

Proving the brakes were contaminated by the store should not be difficult, unless the store can demonstrate that the OP or a third party has attempted to service/fix the braking issue and contaminated the pads themselves. If not then the fault will lie either from the part of the servicing agent.

Good luck with it and like many things in life you just need to be patient and persistent and never take no for an answer. Giving a rightful mouthful to a rude and useless mechanic/owner does not forfeit the law so make sure you continue to stick it right to them.
Let me rephrase - if you like your stuff undamaged and fixed properly, warranties in Australia mean diddly squat in practical terms..

nathanm

Eats Squid
Let me rephrase - if you like your stuff undamaged and fixed properly, warranties in Australia mean diddly squat in practical terms..
That again isn't poor warranty coverage, it is moreso an issue of what people will accept in terms of quality of workmanship. Too often people will be bullied into accepting poor quality work by retailers more interested in making or not loosing money. Retailers, across most industries, will either receive a substantially lower rate for warranty labour than retail and sometimes not at all, so they lose money on warranty repair, thus their utter contempt for it.

As an example, some stupid old prick ran up the back of the missus 2018 HRV. The bumper needed replacing and it was returned from the bodyworks with imperfections in the paint. I'm talking a couple of really minor chips where it was refitted. I took it back and the bodyworks said they'd fix it and they did by putting touch up paint on it.
I spoke to the owner who said that was the best they could do and would be passed by the assessor. But I was not satisfied as this is not how the car came from the factory, so after 3 returns and 1 months since the initial repair the bar was taken off and repainted perfectly.

The moral to the story is so very often repairs are not completed correctly, but know your rights and do not accepted inferior service as this just means this is what becomes the standard and should not be the norm.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
The blokes I have spoken to that have those Merida E bikes seem happy with them , a lot of them down my way

clockworked

Like an orange
I dislike this no naming bike shops rule. What about if we provided proof that we had sent a link to the thread to the bike shop for their right of reply?
The policy is too protectionist at the moment

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That again isn't poor warranty coverage, it is moreso an issue of what people will accept in terms of quality of workmanship. Too often people will be bullied into accepting poor quality work by retailers more interested in making or not loosing money. Retailers, across most industries, will either receive a substantially lower rate for warranty labour than retail and sometimes not at all, so they lose money on warranty repair, thus their utter contempt for it.

As an example, some stupid old prick ran up the back of the missus 2018 HRV. The bumper needed replacing and it was returned from the bodyworks with imperfections in the paint. I'm talking a couple of really minor chips where it was refitted. I took it back and the bodyworks said they'd fix it and they did by putting touch up paint on it.
I spoke to the owner who said that was the best they could do and would be passed by the assessor. But I was not satisfied as this is not how the car came from the factory, so after 3 returns and 1 months since the initial repair the bar was taken off and repainted perfectly.

The moral to the story is so very often repairs are not completed correctly, but know your rights and do not accepted inferior service as this just means this is what becomes the standard and should not be the norm.
A warranty is only as good as the people carrying out the repairs. Hence I repeat, warranties in Australia dont amount to much...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
is there another Merida dealer that you can go to,
am I correct in assuming that if its a Merida issue it shouldn't matter what retailer you use!
It is a shame that good bike shops are few and far between.. :mad:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
am I correct in assuming that if its a Merida issue it shouldn't matter what retailer you use!
It is a shame that good bike shops are few and far between.. :mad:
I reckon Merida would be the same as giant, Warranty claims can be made at any distributor/lbs and processed by the local sales rep..

clockworked

Like an orange
am I correct in assuming that if its a Merida issue it shouldn't matter what retailer you use! :mad:
Unfortunately you are incorrect. The warranty comes from the retailer that sells the item. The shit part is that all the regulations set out by the ACCC are not enforceable without court proceedings. The ACCC sends strongly worded letters, but thats as far as they can extend.
If you want to pursue, and the seller doesn't comply, you have to take them to court. As haakon said, the warranties are as weak as piss in reality

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately you are incorrect. The warranty comes from the retailer that sells the item. The shit part is that all the regulations set out by the ACCC are not enforceable without court proceedings. The ACCC sends strongly worded letters, but thats as far as they can extend.
If you want to pursue, and the seller doesn't comply, you have to take them to court. As haakon said, the warranties are as weak as piss in reality
I have made warranty claims on giant bikes at different dealers than I bought from with no issues at all. I reckon it depends on bike brand. The LBS’s that processed my warranties got the rebuild/repair work from the manufacturer so they are happy to process warranties. Merida say that warranties can be processed through any dealer on their website.. The op should deal with Merida direct imo..

RichJS

Likes Dirt
The warranty comes from the retailer that sells the item.
Yes, but consumers have the remedy of recovering costs from the manufacturer - so it's in the manufacturer's interest to have their retailers sort out any problems. https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/c...onsumer-guarantees#who-to-claim-a-remedy-from

I would put it in in writing like creaky said. Give them their 7 days, then write to Advance Traders.

The wandering bite point seems to be a common complaint about Shimano brakes. Not sure if it's fixable / working as designed.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My LBS has done warranty claims for many bikes they didn't sell, often after the owner has gotten the run around at the place they bought it. As long as the shop has an account with the supplier.
My understanding is you don't have to take it back to the original shop, just an authorised dealer, well thats been my first hand observation.
Many shops are very poor in this area so often say all sorts of BS to get out of warranty work. Labour costs are often not amply covered and or the mechanics are poorly skilled which is also a reason many avoid it.
Find a better shop.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I have made warranty claims on giant bikes at different dealers than I bought from with no issues at all. I reckon it depends on bike brand. The LBS’s that processed my warranties got the rebuild/repair work from the manufacturer so they are happy to process warranties. Merida say that warranties can be processed through any dealer on their website.. The op should deal with Merida direct imo..
good advice, If Merida are informed that one of there dealers are lacking in their after sales service, I would assume that they wouldn't be too happy about it..
It is a struggle for LBS's to find loyal customers just as much as it is a PITA to find good customer service..
If you drop the better half of 7K on a bike, you shouldn't get dicked around either..name and shame I say, its a buyers world

stirk

Burner
A warranty is only as good as the people carrying out the repairs. Hence I repeat, warranties in Australia dont amount to much...
You've had bad experience then, the car I bought new had numerous parts replaced for free by the factory service centre including the auto trans most of which I had no idea that anything was wrong with them. The company found a fault and order warranty repair the next time they serviced the car. This thread highlights one dodgy bike shop which does not mean warranties in Australia don't amount to much, that's a very broad brush you're using.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You've had bad experience then, the car I bought new had numerous parts replaced for free by the factory service centre including the auto trans most of which I had no idea that anything was wrong with them. The company found a fault and order warranty repair the next time they serviced the car. This thread highlights one dodgy bike shop which does not mean warranties in Australia don't amount to much, that's a very broad brush you're using.
Yeah sure, broad brush I admit. And yes some times you’ll get lucky.

I’ve had a few experiences on two cars at two different dealers, seen the experiences of other new car buyers I know and had a few bike shop warranty interactions and other stuff as well.

Sometimes it works out well. Most times there was at least some hassle that made the value debatable and several times I wish I’d worn the cost and fixed it and sometimes it’s cost me more having to rectify shit they broke.

It’s a call you’ll have to make each time yourself - just be prepared to deal with issues.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
But that's a Peugeot after all...
No. One was a Renault (otherwise a Nissan dealer given Renault own Nissan), the other was an Alfa which is primarily a Porchse and Jeep dealer.

The brand of the product is irrelevant to this discussion though.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The wandering bite point seems to be a common complaint about Shimano brakes. Not sure if it's fixable / working as designed.
Not meaning to send this thread off track but I found out recently the bite point on xt m8000’s don’t wander as much if both pistons are equally poking out of the caliper. If one is a bit stuck in the bite point is all over the shop. When both pistons are even the variation is less dramatic.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I dislike this no naming bike shops rule. What about if we provided proof that we had sent a link to the thread to the bike shop for their right of reply?
The policy is too protectionist at the moment
I do like that idea but the shitstorm it can create legally (and it has in the past ) just ain’t worth the agro or the need to iron a shirt to wear in court for us.
As for the thread itself, I and many others know what condition bikes are in when they cone out of a box and it’s 99.9% perfect for Joe Blow. The one you got sounds suss but I don’t know why.......

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd send the same letter describing the faults with the bike and failure to rectify to the Shit Shop and Advance Traders, with a promise at the end stating that you will be going to the Dept of Fair Trading and the Small Claims Tribunal if the issues aren't properly sorted.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Wow that's terrible service!
It's hard to find a good bike shop when is comes to servicing.
I certainly don't trust many local ones near me, heard too many bad stories.
There's a couple of new mobile mechanics starting up in my area and I've heard good things so I might try them. I do most of my own servicing but occasionally if I don't have the tools or the time I'll get someone else to do it.