Darwin

Yowie

Likes Dirt
Charles Darwin National Park!

Riding out of the main street (Mitchell St) towards Palmerston Its about 5 K's on the right. Yon cant miss the opening of the park its well marked. Once in the park ride down for a K or so, you will go past a few old bomb shelters from the war stick to the right and you will see an arrow on the road (Green I think) This is the start of the tracks, there is heaps in there. Its not much but is real good fun I enjoy it every time Im over that way.

Sadly no DH as there is no H

Talk to locals there are other spots around but get yourself invited first, try the bike store across from the post office in town.

Have fun,

Damian

BIG HIT

Likes Bikes
im a local and there is some good freeriding at telecom hill not much but theres a few drops and a little dh track but its alright.what do you ride?

Paradox

Likes Bikes
Telecom hill hey? Please tell me more.

I was going to head over to Charles Darwin quite soon- is there much single track secreted away or does the trail head start at the official hiking / biking start?

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Theres actually a few different places around to ride, some of them, whilst short, have some decent technical cross country runs. I've not yet been to Charles Darwin, though I keep saying I'll go. I'm told theres roughly about an hour in there, and if its as good as the trails I've ridden then it should be ok. Theres not really any downhill here, but the locals make the best of what they've got.

Macr

Likes Dirt
I have ridden Charles Darwin and Rum Jungle. Technically I don't think you are meant to ride Rum Jungle, but it was fun riding in cooler rainforest. There is a new club up there, called DORC (Darwin Offroad Racing Club). I could find a contact number. I also know that they raced at Lee point recently

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I finally managed to get myself out to Charles Darwin on the weekend. Lots of fun, including fire trails and short steep hills. Few good bits of singletrack that I found as well. Lots of fun, but bring the rid if you go.

tojo

Likes Bikes
there are more than just a few good bits of singletrack there. Some are easier to find than others. The NFSC trail is out the back across the pump station and is quite good. There is a group ride on there today (1/10). Meet at the lookout at 4:30pm.

Other places to check out are Berrimah Hills, Lee Pt, Holmes Jungle, Howard Springs Pine Forrest etc. There are regular group rides and these are a good way to meet people and find places to ride.

Paradox

Likes Bikes
Are these group rides club affiliated or just yourself and some mates?

How would I go about getting more details concerning upcoming rides etc?

tojo

Likes Bikes
the rides are organised. Just call by Cycle Zone or Bikes to Fit and check out the ride calender. It will list the upcoming rides. Tomorrows ride (8/10) is a town ride that starts at Sea Dogs pizza shop at Cullen Bay at 4:30pm. Usually the town rides are fairly cruisy and laid back. People usually hang around after the ride for pizza and beers. I won't be there as i will be riding somewhere else.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I missed the last few for various reasons, including handing my front wheel in to be trued the day before the last ride. I'll have to see how I go wheelwise for this weekend too.

Paradox

Likes Bikes
Was there ever any more said about the introduction of a club up here? As I understand it, it was almost signed, sealed and delivered and then nothing?

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Was there ever any more said about the introduction of a club up here? As I understand it, it was almost signed, sealed and delivered and then nothing?
I've had a couple of emails with membership forms attached, though I've not yet done anything about it. Having said that, it looks like the club is up and going, though I'm not sure as to exactly how it runs. The club did have an AGM a couple of months back as well, so I have to assume that all is well. Go see one of the local bike shops, they should have membership forms available.