Dave Weagle Suing Trek Over Suspension Patent

brendonj

Likes Dirt
This is when you loose all sense of idealism.
Unfortunately a patent is only as good as the money you got to go to court. And, if you have money you can take any patent to court. Unfortunately Dave is the little man (again) and most likely to loose out (irrespective of which way the decision should or does go).

driftking

Wheel size expert
Why do I briefly remember this happening before with another company. For some reason my head is saying this has happened before, dave weagle claiming a infringement on a patent. I could be wrong but I vaguely remember something similar happening.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why do I briefly remember this happening before with another company. For some reason my head is saying this has happened before, dave weagle claiming a infringement on a patent. I could be wrong but I vaguely remember something similar happening.
Giant with its Mastro link

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is when you loose all sense of idealism.
Unfortunately a patent is only as good as the money you got to go to court. And, if you have money you can take any patent to court. Unfortunately Dave is the little man (again) and most likely to loose out (irrespective of which way the decision should or does go).

I'm going to disagree. A patent is as strong as the underlying commercial strategy.

Inventors who go out on their own and try to use the patent system on an amateur basis are destined to fail. But where people take their technology seriously, have a solid business plan, and seek good advice, prospects are much better.

In terms of the cost of litigation, yeah it's out of reach for most people. Fortunately, there are plenty of litigation funding entities out there looking for work. If someone has a good patent (i.e. it's actually valid, and has been prepared by a skilled professional), and it is actually being infringed by a large US company (i.e. it's not a pissweak argument), then the prospects of finding someone to bankroll a litigation are quite high these days.

akashra

Eats Squid
Giant with its Mastro link
Maestro was a Trek patent to begin with, wasn't it?

If I remember correctly - but please correct me if I'm wrong - this, and the Alliance patent (carbon/alloy frames) were licensed from Trek for a period of 5 years in return for Giant manufacturing frames for Trek.

New US laws on patents are fantastic, but sadly they don't go far enough. They still allow massive corporations to just farm patents, until they finally come up with something which has a practical use by another company, even when developed independently. In a physical and mechanical field such as crafting bikes, it's not so bad, but have a look what patents are doing to the pharmaceutical and software industries.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wouldn't he make more money if he lowered his licence fees and allowed everyone to use his technologies? Also, you could have major bragging rights that your suspension design is the one that everybody uses by choice, not cost reasons.

Suspension design was evolving, he found a good one, patented it. Fair enough, he should be rewarded for his idea, but his rewards seem excessive for what he has done. He should share the love....

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Wouldn't he make more money if he lowered his licence fees and allowed everyone to use his technologies? Also, you could have major bragging rights that your suspension design is the one that everybody uses by choice, not cost reasons.

It really annoys me that only a couple of companies (and only boutique ones) who are licensed to use the DW-link. Those fees must cost a fortune. Hopefully Trek can find a vagueness area in Weagles patent, the way he protects it annoys me.

Suspension design was evolving, he found a good one, patented it. Fair enough, he should be rewarded for his idea, but his rewards seem excessive for what he has done.
So his licence fees are excessive? Do you KNOW this, or are you ASSUMING?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So his licence fees are excessive? Do you KNOW this, or are you ASSUMING?
Assuming. When only boutique companies use your technology, and other companies try to rip off your design for free instead of paying you a reasonable licence fee, i would say the fees are high.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
This could be a good thing if it goes to court and some independent experts are brought in to access some of the bullshit both parties will claim their designs do