Deadening road noise in a van

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
If you rub the tyre circumference with the palm of your hand and feel corrugations, sharp tread lips or a large whoop there's a good chance that a lot of the noise will be the tyres. Another thing that's annoying in a van is bad wheel bearings, as they seem to resonate a droning hum at over 80km/h and especially in the rear. Exhaust mounts broken is another one.

All excellent info. I have check that out. I do think better tyres will help.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I'm looking at ways to quieten down the road noise in a van. One thought, after lining the floor, is to spray expanding foam into the cavity of the two rear doors and the two side doors. Anyone done anything like that? Then using some of the self adhesive deadening matt to go over wheel arches and walls etc.?
Dynomat or fatmat, pretty sure that expanda foam attracts moisture... don't hold me to that ......................

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dynomat or fatmat, pretty sure that expanda foam attracts moisture... don't hold me to that ......................
And expanding foam is likely to expand into areas you don’t want it, like door latches. Also, you never ever see the wiring again because you won’t be blue to get there foam out, unlike matting which should pull out fairly easily.

DMan

Why bother though if you have a dividing wall to the rear cargo area. Unless you are trying to thermally insulate for sleeping in the back, for example.
Duh..To try and cut out the rattling from the back even with the shagpile

AaronM

Likes Dirt
These guys have a pretty good range of options

Different sections of the van will benefit from products differently

You will want to stop the drumming of bigger panels, (the butyl mat stuff) but also stop the reflection of noise within the giant tin can (the foamy stuff).

There’s some combo products which would be great on the walls, and regular butyl mat stuff on the floor.

If you’re a cheapskate self-adhesive foil backed flashing from Bunnings works reasonably well as deadener.

DMan

This stuff. Ping Jing is inexpensive but as good as dynamat according to some car audio buddies of mine

Cool. Thanks Link

These guys have a pretty good range of options

Different sections of the van will benefit from products differently

You will want to stop the drumming of bigger panels, (the butyl mat stuff) but also stop the reflection of noise within the giant tin can (the foamy stuff).

There’s some combo products which would be great on the walls, and regular butyl mat stuff on the floor.

If you’re a cheapskate self-adhesive foil backed flashing from Bunnings works reasonably well as deadener.
Excellent stuff. Cheers