Dealing with injury risk

moorey

call me Mia
I like riding by myself these days. Always feel a urge to ride faster and harder when I'm in a group. All my crashes have been the result of my trying to keep up with Yolo riding mates who have low regard for their physical health.
Fortunately I have mostly slow mates….and I’m smart enough to not follow Felix. The more I ride alone (on home trails) the more I like being alone.

Minlak

custom titis
I like riding by myself these days. Always feel a urge to ride faster and harder when I'm in a group. All my crashes have been the result of my trying to keep up with Yolo riding mates who have low regard for their physical health.
In Motorcycle worlds it is often noted that in group rides the only person riding at "Their Pace" is the leader :)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Fortunately I have mostly slow mates….and I’m smart enough to not follow Felix. The more I ride alone (on home trails) the more I like being alone.
I'm the slowest of all my mates by miiiiiiiles but I still prefer riding with others. Last time I was out in relatively gnarly terrain by myself (pre-lockdown) I found I couldn't really just go full yolo because the thought that I might be in a spot of bother if I binned it was a bit of a mental brake.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I'm the slowest of all my mates by miiiiiiiles but I still prefer riding with others. Last time I was out in relatively gnarly terrain by myself (pre-lockdown) I found I couldn't really just go full yolo because the thought that I might be in a spot of bother if I binned it was a bit of a mental brake.
A fella riding solo at the You Yangs came to grief and died by himself a few years ago on one of the gnarlier tracks. Never did find out if it was maybe a heart attack or misadventure but either way I don’t want to be lying there by myself on one of the least used trails praying that someone happens past and finds me so mostly just noodle around when riding solo.

moorey

call me Mia
I think I said this a few times….I used to haaaaaate riding solo for this reason. Solo riding became necessary due to when I can ride and rolling lockdowns.
I might get one ride a week with mates. It’s purely social with long stops and lots of shit talk. I’d rather talk more when climbing and have less breaks, but it’s good to shit talk.

teK--

Eats Squid
+1

Once I did get super excited on a solo ride and ended up upside down after a lapse in concentration. That was a real wakeup call as i didn't see 1 other person whilst fixing my bike and then riding all the way back out to the car.

I use the Garmin Livetrack function so the missus can always see where I'm at. Only good for areas in phone reception and help could still be many hours away until the alarm is raised, but it's still better than nothing in quieter riding spots.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
A fella riding solo at the You Yangs came to grief and died by himself a few years ago on one of the gnarlier tracks. Never did find out if it was maybe a heart attack or misadventure but either way I don’t want to be lying there by myself on one of the least used trails praying that someone happens past and finds me so mostly just noodle around when riding solo.
Having an ANGi device wouldn't be a bad idea perhaps?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Fuck that then.
you are probably better off with a personal locator beacon. ***SPOT devices are only worthwhile if you keep the subscription paid, and don't move from the time you activate it.

safreek

After reading the first few pages I feel like this thread should be called "the helmet does fuck all" thread with all the concussion and such being reported.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
After reading the first few pages I feel like this thread should be called "the helmet does fuck all" thread with all the concussion and such being reported.
Pretty big parallels with dumb anti-vax arguments:
  • I had the vaccine and I still got Covid [but didn't end up in ICU.
  • Just heading down to the shops, not a high risk endeavour, so I'll skip the vaccine today...

Last edited: