Dealing with injury risk

safreek

Or the "helmet almost definitely saved us from a life as a vegetable" thread

But take from it what you will

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
read it as you will but I feel you are all encouraging me
Pretty big parallels with dumb anti-vax arguments:
  • I had the vaccine and I still got Covid [but didn't end up in ICU.
  • Just heading down to the shops, not a high risk endeavour, so I'll skip the vaccine today...
Nar, nothing to do with anti vaccine. But is it possible to have the Astra sucked out, I've changed my mind

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yeah, well it did happen... bugger. But at the time I thought it was worse. I thought I'd broken my neck really badly, the pain there was insane. But I didn't... I broke/tore/hyperextended a bunch of other bits instead. It was a while ago now, back in 2013 on the original Lysty Aneurysm table-tops with the kickers, which I helped build... and weirdly I had argued the kickers were dangerous. Ha ha. They were great if you rode them at the right pace for airtime, but shocking at speed. I looped the loop, like never before. I was red misting bigtime, for reasons that the internet will never know, and stupidly decided to do the last table kicker at warp factor nine... big big big big mistake. In a very short period, the kickers had claimed about a dozen collarbones before my mishap, and they got turned into the berms that they are now, within a week of my hopelessness.

Sorry Moorey... but I've seen your blue arse more than you've seen my hairsuitness.

Here's two of my daughters, laughing at me.

safreek

Yeah, well it did happen... bugger. But at the time I thought it was worse. I thought I'd broken my neck really badly, the pain there was insane. But I didn't... I broke/tore/hyperextended a bunch of other bits instead. It was a while ago now, back in 2013 on the original Lysty Aneurysm table-tops with the kickers, which I helped build... and weirdly I had argued the kickers were dangerous. Ha ha. They were great if you rode them at the right pace for airtime, but shocking at speed. I looped the loop, like never before. I was red misting bigtime, for reasons that the internet will never know, and stupidly decided to do the last table kicker at warp factor nine... big big big big mistake. In a very short period, the kickers had claimed about a dozen collarbones before my mishap, and they got turned into the berms that they are now, within a week of my hopelessness.

Sorry Moorey... but I've seen your blue arse more than you've seen my hairsuitness.

View attachment 380089

View attachment 380090
Well glad it all turned out well for you. My apologies, didn't know you were talking body jumper so you still have some credibility. Now if you had a real mohair jumper I would of sent you to the COTF thread, then straight to Byron

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

View attachment 380089

View attachment 380090
Dang, glad you're going okay @Lazmo. o_O Cool as that you still get out on the bike though. Must've taken a little time to regain confidence initially...?

If you don't mind me asking - how's the skull going? Did you have surgery, or was it a "leave in place and be careful" situation?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
COTF thread…?

I was back on the bike as soon as allowed.

On the skull… the surgeon offered 3 scenarios. Incision on the forehead and pull the dent out, cut ear to ear under my chin and peel my face off and pull the dent… or leave it. I had a 3 day window to do it and I chose the latter.

It did cause initial sinus drainage complications as the fractured bones have created a little ledge. That went on for few years but seems to have settled down.

I had pretty full on headaches for the first few weeks, but that eventually stopped.

The broken little finger on my right hand, was endless issues though… multiple operations and they gave up in the end with a pin up it and fused.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Cool as that you still get out on the bike though. Must've taken a little time to regain confidence initially...?
beeb… I was totally happy to ride at 6 weeks and 1 day after the op, but you are right, I had to reassess what I was prepared to ride. Back then I was in my mid 50’s and was getting a bit cocky… jumping some stuff, that I wouldn’t even consider now. I’d actually had a really big off landing some reasonable air (for me) up at Blores Hill, a few weeks before, and was lucky to get away with it… so I’ve scaled back. Anything over two and half foot and I’m B lining it.

But I’ll ride till I can’t.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Sorry to hear @Lazmo

Hope you get better soon. Warp 9 must be a bunch of fun until the big stop. Take it easy and I hope you heal up well.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
beeb… I was totally happy to ride at 6 weeks and 1 day after the op, but you are right, I had to reassess what I was prepared to ride. Back then I was in my mid 50’s and was getting a bit cocky… jumping some stuff, that I wouldn’t even consider now. I’d actually had a really big off landing some reasonable air (for me) up at Blores Hill, a few weeks before, and was lucky to get away with it… so I’ve scaled back. Anything over two and half foot and I’m B lining it.

But I’ll ride till I can’t.
Yep I hear you. I might be younger but am also not much chop at jumping. Everytime I start to push to build my jumping "skills" I improve very slowly, start to feel comfortable, then bin it hard. It just never feels natural for me, so I'm happy to just take the B-lines nowadays. I'd rather ride for many more years, even if it's slow and cautious.

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Sorry to hear @Lazmo

Hope you get better soon. Warp 9 must be a bunch of fun until the big stop. Take it easy and I hope you heal up well.
Thanks Mr C.., but this is 8 years ago. I’m all good now on the dent in my forehead. Right now it’s unrelated left knee and right shoulder… ha ha.

Warp factor nine on my Gixxer or 900SS was even betterer.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well, that explains the Sasquatch sightings at Lysty, but good to see that he lives to torment the people for another day.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Thanks Mr C.., but this is 8 years ago. I’m all good now on the dent in my forehead. Right now it’s unrelated left knee and right shoulder… ha ha.

Warp factor nine on my Gixxer or 900SS was even betterer.
Oh damn, that is a long injury. Get well really soon. You have some new injuries competing for attention.

Note to self: Read those timestamps.