Dealing with injury risk

Flow-Rider

Burner
The golden goat.

The goatest of all time…
That one definitely bent the goat's horns.

My uncle done a similar skull break years ago, he was in the 'brain injury rehabilitation unit' at the hospital for about 3 months, I think it was something like 2 years before he got his car licence back but it was a long road to recovery.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I’ve had several concussions from body impacts alone. Must admit I do like the reduced skull fracture risk that helmets provide.
I would almost certainly have suffered a fractured skull with the way my head hit the pavement. You wouldn't think it looking at the helmet.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
With Australia being one of the few countries in the world with MHL and enforcing it, I find it strange that these blokes are too cool to wear a helmet in non MHL countries when doing stuff like that.

I see it with the young boys now, none of them want to wear gloves.

Repeatedly explained to mine that if you f%#k your hands up on the trail, slicing tendons open on rAdelaide shale, kiss goodbye to working with your hands for a living or maybe even riding again.

They palmed me off a few times with the 'forgot' story.

So I dropped the 'boomer clause'... if I catch you riding with no gloves, you lose the bike for 1 week and will be scratched from the next race :D
Posted this in another thread a week ago.

Basically about young riders and their complete disregard for protection.

#2 son spends the weekend riding jump parks and shuttles.

Missus is going to pick him up at his mates as he has bought a BMX off him for $10. Decent bike for $10 too, could corona flip for a few hundy.

It's only got a rear brake, missus pulls up the driveway and numbskull rides across the garden and does an endo against a tree :rolleyes:

The front wheel rolls backwards and he face plants the tree, no helmet, no nothing on as he was 'just waiting for mum'

Smashed up both lips with deep gashes, swollen nose (he reckons it's broken), cuts to face, chin and forehead.

Can't eat through his smashed up mouth or breathe through his swollen fat nose. Which is full of dried bloody snots and he won't let anyone touch it.

Sandakan

Likes Bikes
Almost 2 weeks ago, my son went for a ride with his mates to where kids had been building some jumps. He'd ridden that jump quit a few times over the last few weeks but since the last time apparently they had moved the landing slightly. First run he landed badly and basically speared head first into the ground and has broken his neck.
He was wearing a good quality helmet and you can actually see the progression of impact; visor, outer casing, MIPS, inner cradle then pads.
He was lucky, there was a surgeon living over the road and he supported his head and neck till the ambulances came.
In short, he had concussion, cuts, bruisers and a break at the base of his skull at C zero.
He's home from the hospital in a neck brace and will eventually recover. But; he was very, very lucky.
He's still keen to ride again because he absolutely loves it but there will be no doubt that the need for, helmets, gloves and pads where needed has been driven home.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Posted this in another thread a week ago.

Basically about young riders and their complete disregard for protection.

#2 son spends the weekend riding jump parks and shuttles.

Missus is going to pick him up at his mates as he has bought a BMX off him for $10. Decent bike for $10 too, could corona flip for a few hundy.

It's only got a rear brake, missus pulls up the driveway and numbskull rides across the garden and does an endo against a tree :rolleyes:

The front wheel rolls backwards and he face plants the tree, no helmet, no nothing on as he was 'just waiting for mum'

Smashed up both lips with deep gashes, swollen nose (he reckons it's broken), cuts to face, chin and forehead.

Can't eat through his smashed up mouth or breathe through his swollen fat nose. Which is full of dried bloody snots and he won't let anyone touch it.
I read this and I'm actually glad I have a daughter that isn't interested in bikes. Sometimes....

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Almost 2 weeks ago, my son went for a ride with his mates to where kids had been building some jumps. He'd ridden that jump quit a few times over the last few weeks but since the last time apparently they had moved the landing slightly. First run he landed badly and basically speared head first into the ground and has broken his neck.
He was wearing a good quality helmet and you can actually see the progression of impact; visor, outer casing, MIPS, inner cradle then pads.
He was lucky, there was a surgeon living over the road and he supported his head and neck till the ambulances came.
In short, he had concussion, cuts, bruisers and a break at the base of his skull at C zero.
He's home from the hospital in a neck brace and will eventually recover. But; he was very, very lucky.
He's still keen to ride again because he absolutely loves it but there will be no doubt that the need for, helmets, gloves and pads where needed has been driven home.
That's actually a good news story. Glad for the surgeon and glad he's going to mend.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As an old ‘okay boomer ‘ - for me it’s all the gear all the time .

2 points of interest
- pinkbike ( I know , not a good source hahaa) in the new series , 90% of the riders are not wearing gloves on the ‘challenge ‘ flash new gear suppplied by fox and no gloves ?
As I also due to my shallow life watch GMBN
- they had a lady doing the Sea Otter report it was Anneke Beermen 4x world cHampson got hit hype a car - in her car , 12 months of rehab , has just retired .
The traumatic brain injury - ‘ just a bit of concussion ‘ has meant she cannot continue to compete .

How to share this info with young guns is hard ,
“ mate it’s not Kool to wear a helmet “
“ mate , without a beard my face is way uglier “

Seeing the Red Bull rampage guys jump back up and try again , I guess there are no consequences .
Seeing a sports ball footy head get pummeled and then “ back ya go , softcock “ I guess there are no consequences .

I don’t envy you fellas with young bucks , it is hard , peer group pressure , but hey , ‘ chicks dig scars ‘

walking with a limp , buggered hip , sore hands , arthritis / surgery - tell the lads look after your body , it will eventually wear out .

Stay Safe , we are all out of restrictions and the trails will be packed, take it easy

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
As an old ‘okay boomer ‘ - for me it’s all the gear all the time .

2 points of interest
- pinkbike ( I know , not a good source hahaa) in the new series , 90% of the riders are not wearing gloves on the ‘challenge ‘ flash new gear suppplied by fox and no gloves ?
As I also due to my shallow life watch GMBN
- they had a lady doing the Sea Otter report it was Anneke Beermen 4x world cHampson got hit hype a car - in her car , 12 months of rehab , has just retired .
The traumatic brain injury - ‘ just a bit of concussion ‘ has meant she cannot continue to compete .

How to share this info with young guns is hard ,
“ mate it’s not Kool to wear a helmet “
“ mate , without a beard my face is way uglier “

Seeing the Red Bull rampage guys jump back up and try again , I guess there are no consequences .
Seeing a sports ball footy head get pummeled and then “ back ya go , softcock “ I guess there are no consequences .

I don’t envy you fellas with young bucks , it is hard , peer group pressure , but hey , ‘ chicks dig scars ‘

walking with a limp , buggered hip , sore hands , arthritis / surgery - tell the lads look after your body , it will eventually wear out .

Stay Safe , we are all out of restrictions and the trails will be packed, take it easy
even the 'HTFU sportzballers' are growing a brain when it comes to managing concussions.
Red Bull Rampage.... they keep going because otherwise the energy drink sponsorz would not give them moneez, IMO.

for the kids... No Helmet = no bike.
not wearing gloves is fucking stupid too, IMO.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
not wearing gloves is fucking stupid too, IMO.
I have never not worn gloves since I got my first MTB. In BMX they are compulsory as is a full face, sleeves and pants. I hate to think of the injuries to my hands had I not been wearing them on some occasions. Even in the XC racing lycra days I always wore gloves, helmet, glasses. It also blows my mind that people ride without glasses.

Mate got a bee up his nose the other week, luckily on a slow section, how to prevent? Mesh masks? :D

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I have never not worn gloves since I got my first MTB. In BMX they are compulsory as is a full face, sleeves and pants. I hate to think of the injuries to my hands had I not been wearing them on some occasions. Even in the XC racing lycra days I always wore gloves, helmet, glasses. It also blows my mind that people ride without glasses.

Mate got a bee up his nose the other week, luckily on a slow section, how to prevent? Mesh masks? :D
I don’t get the no glasses thing either. Majority in my night riding group don’t wear them; I wear cheap clear goggles and you should see the scratches on them from getting struck without of seeing it.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Haha I am totally goinf to get him one as a pisstake!
We could do a group buy. I’m sure there’s plenty of us here that are tired of getting bees up their noses!
I’d actually like to turn up straight faced(although no one would be able to see it anyway) to a shuttle day with one of these on and pretend like nothing is out of the ordinary and watch all the cool kids with their $300 Pit vipers loose their minds!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
We could do a group buy. I’m sure there’s plenty of us here that are tired of getting bees up their noses!
I’d actually like to turn up straight faced(although no one would be able to see it anyway) to a shuttle day with one of these on and pretend like nothing is out of the ordinary and watch all the cool kids with their $300 Pit vipers loose their minds!
It's all fun and games until it fogs up completely at the trail head and you crash on the first corner of the trail...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yep it would be a pretty good laugh, who is in?