Decent bike shop in Melbourne for Mountain Bike gear?

Hello all,

Getting pretty sick of being served by a pimply teenage girl who rides road bikes at my local Bicycle Superstore. She wouldn't know the first thing about hitting the trails at the You Yangs etc.

Also getting pretty sick of going in to my local Goldcross store to see 2 pair of Fox shorts on the stand - both not my size (and not my preferred brand).

No wonder internet shopping is thriving. It is great until you want to buy knicks, shorts etc where you actually have to try the product on. Extremely frustrating when you see all these wonderful products out there on the market only to go to your local store to see none of it.

So the question is: are there any decent shops out there for mountain bike gear? Brunswick St Cycles years ago wasn't too bad. They actually catered for the mountain biking enthusiast. These other stores are just toy shops; large shop spaces full of toys. (Probably my bad for going in to them).

I live in the Essendon/Ascot Vale area.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Regards.

timrob

Likes Dirt
Hey,

Only lived in Melbourne for a year, but one little shop springs to mind serious trail/dh owner and operator (1 man band)
IRide - 271 King St (city centre) [http://www.iridebikes.com.au/]

Otherwise BSC i didnt think was too bad, but i agree bit of 'show-room-floor-stock-shiny-things'

Pedal on.

Gspot-Sniper

Likes Dirt
you can order fox from your local goldcross store man... shops cant stock everything
in every size. just ask someone at the store to order some in for you.

lovedirt

Likes Dirt
i live in the same area and i have the same prob, goldcross, rapido cycles and a couple of others are prob good bike shops for kids and mums who wanna ride around the suburbs but when you walk in with a huge dh rig thats worth thousands the only things that they have for you or your bike is maybe some new shifter cable lines or a couple of spokes...lol
We need a prop mtb shop in melbourne specifically for dh, xc, dj riders..... id buy and take my bike there...

Howie66

Likes Dirt
If you can get down to Geelong next time your at Youies goto Di Grandi or Barettas.. Both good shops and everyone there knows the Youies like the back of thier hand so you wont have any problems

Thanks for the replies gents.

Gspot-Sniper - I am not asking them to stock everything, just something! Surely a store the size of Goldcross could stock more than 2 pair of riding shorts in more than one size.

Spoke to the guys at My Mountain yesterday - they seem quite switched on, and stocked up, so will go and check the store out next weekend.

Howie66 - I used to live down that way and knew Ash from DeGrandi's - he was good - but now a bit far from Essendon.

Cheers.

teK--

Eats Squid
Just buy a measuring tape and buy online. Have never been lead astray by fit guides. If you happen to get it wrong send it back and swap for correct size. You would still probably be ahead in price after taking into account return shipping for most clothing items.

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Just buy a measuring tape and buy online. Have never been lead astray by fit guides. If you happen to get it wrong send it back and swap for correct size. You would still probably be ahead in price after taking into account return shipping for most clothing items.
This. .................

lucco

Likes Dirt
My favourite shop for clothing: Identity Cycle (112 St Kilda Rd, St Kilda) They only do bike clothing, nothing else and have full range of Endura shorts.

As above My Mountain on Lygon St. is my favourite shop in Melbourne for bikes/servicing.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Another vote for the guys from MyMountain. Tim, the new owner, seems like a top bloke. Staff been friendly, knowledgeable and helpful - even if you are like me and not able to drop $6K on a Yeti. Store is well stocked too.

Ideate

Mymountain helped me today with a fox 3.25" 600lb spring (3days before Christmas). Every other place I called in Melbourne didn't know what I was talking about.

Markee

Likes Dirt
Another vote here for My Mountain. Tim, Jeremy and Will are great blokes and happy to help and share their knowledge.