deciphering between brake fluid and fork oil??????????

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
Recently I had some oil leak from my forks, and about 2 days later (didnt ride in those 2 days) my brakes have become 'slick' and have no stopping power and squick, indicating that oil had come into contact with the pads and rotor.
I have a new set of pads and new rotor to go on.
I was just out about to install the new pads when i thought to myself, maybe have i blown a seal or similar in my brake?? Because if it is brake oil, the same thing is going to happen with the new pads !
So my question is, how (if possible) can i tell the difference between brake fluid and fork oil?

Thanks
Reece.

Viv92

Eats Squid
If brake fluid is coming out of your brakes, air is going in. If you brake lever feels squishy, then there's probably a problem with your brake (unless it was like this before hand).

hmcleay

Likes Bikes
ummm.

I have noticed that brake fluid smells like acetic acid (the smell that ants leave behind).

otherwise, brake fluid is supposed to be hydroscopic, which means that it will absorb water.
Whereas fork oil will not mix with water.
but you probably don't have enough leakage to do that test.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how (if possible) can i tell the difference between brake fluid and fork oil?
Brake fluid tastes nicer?

If you wipe the "oil" with your hand does it leave your hand feeling oily or does it feel "dry" and weird like when you get petrol on your skin? Dot fluid from disc brakes will feel more like petrol, fork oil will feel oily and slippery (its a lubricant remember, brake fluid isnt). Now wash your hands...

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it is fork oil, and there wasn't much on your brakes, it should burn off after a short while (and after wiping down rotor and brake pads if course) even giving them a sand with fine sand paper. You should need to replace the rotor and pads unless they are quite worn, or completely drenched in oil.

dhd

Downhill Direct
What I'd do:
Take the brake off, give it and everything a clean. Put it all back together with the old pads. Go for a spin around the block and hammer the brakes a lot. When you get back have a look and see where the fluid is coming from. Should sort it for you!