Dedicated MTB chairlift

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seth's Bike Hacks latest video on a Texas chairlift for 100m of vertical got me thinking about this again

Some commentary on Pink bike forums suggesting such a lift could be put in for circa $1M USD, I'd be curious from a business case perspective what was a realistic number in Aust. I'd love to see one in the Perth Hills, could get I think about 250m vertical in Byford, you would get a decent view from the top and if you could combine it with luge ride like Sentosa Singapore/Skyline Queenstown (not that nice a view!) or even Jamberoo in NSW which I visited recently, you would have alternative non bike revenue. What was interesting what the relative lack of vertical at some of the locations Seth references, made me feel better about the 150m of vertical on the main hill at Kalamunda, albeit if you ride all the way to the bottom of the valley it's closer to double that but not really doable as one run. Does anyone know of any business cases that have been put together in Aus?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Glenworth mountain bike park which is under construction near Sydney claim to be installing one. Whether it’s new, or bought used from a Ski resort I don’t know.

Canberra government Have a gondola for Stromlo in the masterplan, but I’m not sure how likely it is. There are new suburbs expanding around the base though, and the main climb is pretty busy at peak times.

For either, I don’t know how a business case would stack up for something that’s largely going to be patronised on weekends.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
There is a chairlift of around 100m (guess) elevation at Stanley in Tasmania up to the Nut. Has been running for many years.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I posted the same youtube link on the Warburton thread. I think it would kill off Mt Buller (been dying for years, it seems) summer chairlift for good, and make Warburton a Go To MTB destination.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
hahaha good luck getting that in byford! or actually anywhere in perth :(
Sure if there was another 4 or 5 down trails from top of gunjin, possible but then DOW policy 13 blah blah
then im out of a a job! :p
so much backwards thinking here regards to Mountainbiking

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Sure if there was another 4 or 5 down trails from top of gunjin, possible but then DOW policy 13 blah blah
its not just in the west bro, wowsers everywhere trying to stop evolution of this great sport!
It will never happen at stromlo , as the ACT government is full of dickheads that waste money on useless shit (see roadside art sculptures)

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep on truckin Frank see you on the bus in the morning!

ForkinGreat

its not just in the west bro, wowsers everywhere trying to stop evolution of this great sport!
It will never happen at stromlo , as the ACT government is full of dickheads that waste money on useless shit (see roadside art sculptures)
Don't knock the penis-owl!!!!

discofrank

Likes Dirt
except tassie... not financially setup to spend 2k every time i want to ride over there

binner

Hath shat hymself
Seth's Bike Hacks latest video on a Texas chairlift for 100m of vertical got me thinking about this again

Some commentary on Pink bike forums suggesting such a lift could be put in for circa $1M USD, I'd be curious from a business case perspective what was a realistic number in Aust. I'd love to see one in the Perth Hills, could get I think about 250m vertical in Byford, you would get a decent view from the top and if you could combine it with luge ride like Sentosa Singapore/Skyline Queenstown (not that nice a view!) or even Jamberoo in NSW which I visited recently, you would have alternative non bike revenue. What was interesting what the relative lack of vertical at some of the locations Seth references, made me feel better about the 150m of vertical on the main hill at Kalamunda, albeit if you ride all the way to the bottom of the valley it's closer to double that but not really doable as one run. Does anyone know of any business cases that have been put together in Aus?
Seth is Cool, that is all I have to say.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Firstly everything in Australia would cost more than USA due to the Australia Tax .
Great idea for the west where there are no ski lifts /ski areas but small population density is the problem.
IMHO it would be best in the east to use existing ski infrastructure .
Other than Thredbo the others Falls , Buller dont use them and rely on cars so the business case cant be strong.

ForkinGreat

Firstly everything in Australia would cost more than USA due to the Australia Tax .
Great idea for the west where there are no ski lifts /ski areas but small population density is the problem.
IMHO it would be best in the east to use existing ski infrastructure .
Other than Thredbo the others Falls , Buller dont use them and rely on cars so the business case cant be strong.
Flowtown track at Falls Creek goes a fair way from the resort so they need a shuttle, and Buller have done fuck all with their tracks for years, there has been essentially a couple of dudes to do trail work over the whole chairlift area. They seem to have no interest in MTB. Epic trail goes well out of resort boundary also, so a shuttle is necessary to service it.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess the other thing is people have to drive a long way to use it at the ski fields, it's a weekend away not a day trip.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
You don’t like art? Or just that art?
I like art, but that is not art
the owl'y looking thing looks like a giant turd, and the one at the GDE exit looks like something left over from the World Trade Tower collapse!
but back on topic
If a chair lift was to be built at the new Glenworth Valley park, it could run all year
snow resorts have a huge overheads to keep the things running , simply because of the limited amount of days they have to maximise turnover.
if a bike park has to shut down the lift to do maintenance, people can still ride the park..the gravity crew may not be so keen, but the others can still have a good day out
if a snow resort has to shut down a lift in winter, the whole mountain shuts down not just the skiing