Project Demo days / Demo Program

Would you pay money for a multi-day demo ... shipped to you? Partially built.

• Nah ... too much hassle

• Yes, Whatever is fair re price and rebates for as long as possible

• Yes, for 2 weekends and under $400

• Yes, for whatever time and under $300

• Yes, for whatever time and under $200

• Nah, if they want my money demos should be for free. Economics is your problem

Results are only viewable after voting.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Nah, it was a fair while back I did the Ripmo when things were a different time and it was a special case. I don't think they'd do it nowadays as a lot of things have changed there.

The Ripley does look like such a fun bike, but it wasn't far enough from the Ripmo in rider reviews to even contemplate a purchase. They pretty much ride the same, with the Ripley being better for longer days, the Ripmo with more confidence on the downs, without giving up too much on the ups.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is fairly applicable to me, as I've demo'd a fair few bikes but never paid for a demo on the way to buying a new bike/frame. Answers in order:

• I've demoed roughly 75% of the bikes/frames I've bought in the last decade. Certainly all of the duallies*. I will say I've also demoed a few bikes I've not bought, as it didn't fit with the way I thought or wanted it to ride.
  • All my stable of bikes has either been a new bike complete, or Frame and approx 50% new parts, 50% carried over.
  • Last bike was the Ripmo and yep, demo'd that in two versions - one from the LBS for a gentle weekend, another from a mate for a longer period.
  • No consumer direct bikes/frames bought.
*Bar the old Glory DH frame I bought last year to transfer the gear over to, keeping with 26" but increasing frame size.

Hope that helps mate :)
I like the I have never bought online direct line.

I am currently in the market for a new bike (Orbo has helped with the Rascal). With the long weekend coming and covid restrictions easing I thought I’d ring around and see what I could get in Canberra to test ride/demo. I have basically Struck out - nothing that is in my spectrum of want (High end trail bike 29 120-140mm - even in lower specs) is available and that is not just this weekend but lots of we don’t offer demos, come and have a car park ride etc.

I am also willing to pay for the privilege.

This brings me back to the I have never bought online or direct comment. Me neither but I sure am seeing why many people are and do.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
With the long weekend coming and covid restrictions easing I thought I’d ring around and see what I could get in Canberra to test ride/demo. I have basically Struck out - nothing that is in my spectrum of want (High end trail bike 29 120-140mm - even in lower specs) is available and that is not just this weekend but lots of we don’t offer demos, come and have a car park ride etc.
Ha, how far is Stromlo or Majura from the car park? ;)

Seriously though, it seems the days of demoing anything other than a Trek or Giant are pretty much gone, as none of the higher end brands offer it these days. Pivot used to, I demoed and subsequently bought 3 Pivots from demos I was able to ride over weekends (original Mach 4, 5.7C and 429SL), but I think even Jet Black has pulled in their demo fleets.

My local Trek store still has demo bikes available. We (my other half and I) test rode the new Fuel EX for a weekend earlier in the year and almost bought one, before (thankfully) she realised she was still Enduro at heart and kept her Spartan. That new EX is a hell of beast for a "trail" bike. Pity about the pricing jump a few weeks ago though. High demand running stocks out, then having to restock at a low dollar has put the balls into the Trek pricing for the new few months.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep Trek was pretty much the only one interested. They Have preped their demo fleet for sale however (covid stock issues) and wont be offering demos until they get the new fleet god knows when.

At this rate The scary thing is if the rascal rides remotely well, I will most likely buy it because I was at least was able to test it. I don’t fancy dropping that amount of cash on reviews alone...

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Ha, want me to ride the Rascal for you in Sydney and compare it to a Ripmo?

Oh wait, I broke my friggen ribs 2 weeks ago so no riding for me :(

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Reading this it occurred to me I've never bought a bike I demoed, but never really been in a position to do so.

Most of my early bikes were second hand, as that's all I could afford. The last few bikes I've built have been new (Curve & Banshee), but there was no opportunity to demo at all that I could find. I was a little concerned about the sizing on the Banshee & even asked the question (knowing full well the answer would be no), so I reckon I would have seriously considered paying for a proper demo in that instance.

Of all the rentals & demo's I've ridden over the years though, the biggest issue has been the condition of the bikes. Demo days with Giant & Treks have in a lot of cases had such bad brakes or drive-trains that it seriously detracts from the experience. Kinda makes it hard to be 'wowed' by the bike when the chain keeps getting eaten in the gears and I can't stop properly.