Demo riders with Öhlins rear shock.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Hey there,

Just wondering what spring rates people with Öhlins shocks are using? At full HSC compression and 3 clicks out from full LSC I found my bike still bottoms out harshly with a 400lb spring and my modest 80kg including gear weight.

Cheers.

Juan Dinger

Likes Bikes
If you are able to get the desired level of sag with your current spring, that spring rate is correct for your weight. It sounds like the compression circuits internally will need work if you are still bottoming out hard. Going up a spring rate is not the answer you are looking for. Why did you not go harder on the low speed compression while you were out riding and still bottoming out ? I'd also suggest taking some high speed compression out as well.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
If you are able to get the desired level of sag with your current spring, that spring rate is correct for your weight. It sounds like the compression circuits internally will need work if you are still bottoming out hard. Going up a spring rate is not the answer you are looking for. Why did you not go harder on the low speed compression while you were out riding and still bottoming out ? I'd also suggest taking some high speed compression out as well.
Felt a bit sluggish with full LSC just bouncing around on it. Noticeable improvement with full HSC through fast chop. Hard to imagine the shock would need servicing as it's seen limited use. Bit weird really, would've expected way better performance from a shock of this calibre. Especially since they pride themselves on taking the guess work out for the punter with their tuning.

Maybe even just find an extra firm bump stop on the shaft or something?

disappearin

Likes Dirt
400lb sounds light! I'm running a 525lb on mine at about 85kg. It bottoms out on some stuff but overall works fine for me.