Demo Vs New - Bronson

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Just after some advice on buying a Demo Model vs New

A few shops are offloading Demo Models of Santa Cruz Bronson V2, so I've been sussing out a deal from a few of them but really trying to weigh up if it's worth it for the savings (not unsubstantial) vs getting a new frame and build kit.

All are offered with full SC warranty

For the custom builds I can use some parts from my existing bike to reduce costs.

What I'm looking at is the following

$6.5k
Demo Bronson C in full S build - complete bike in standard spec
Pike Rc 150
Fox float performance
Easton arc 27 wheelset
Gx 1x11
Guide r
Reverb dropper
Raceface AL crankset

$5.9k
Demo Bronson CC in custom build
Used Pike RCT3 150mm
Fox float x
Stans Flow to Hope hubs
Fox transfer dropper
Raceface AL crankset

Option for lyric RC over Pike rct3 extra $

I supply
Xx1 drivetrain
Guide ultimates

$6.9k
New Bronson CC
Pike RCT3 boost 160mm
Fox float X
Easton Arc 30mm with Boost Hubs

Reverb dropper
Raceface AL crankset

I supply
Xx1 drivetrain
Guide ultimates

Thoughts? Things to look out for with demo frames,fork or shock?

Edit - All Options are from reputable SC dealers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
No, no, no. It's actually magenta!

Biggest problem with a demo is it's likely to be pink

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
It really depends on what your financial position is and how comfortable you are either dropping big coin on new, or trusting a shop to supply you with a quality demo.
I've been in demo days and ridden demos from shops. I've had high end bikes from shops on demo and I can honestly say that I've never ridden one easy.

I'd weigh up the cost of bearing kits, suspension rebuilds etc (which won't be covered under shop warranty).
I'd look at worse case scenario of having to pay for a full overhaul of all these parts vs buying it new.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Save the coin

It really depends on what your financial position is and how comfortable you are either dropping big coin on new, or trusting a shop to supply you with a quality demo.
I've been in demo days and ridden demos from shops. I've had high end bikes from shops on demo and I can honestly say that I've never ridden one easy.

I'd weigh up the cost of bearing kits, suspension rebuilds etc (which won't be covered under shop warranty).
I'd look at worse case scenario of having to pay for a full overhaul of all these parts vs buying it new.
Doesn't matter how hard you ride it, even if you make Rock-jebus look like a tortoise, you won't wear out the frame or components in a demo ride (or ten), unless something's not right to begin with.
Just make sure you get the bearing warranty, which is part of the overall warranty, anyway.

The thousands you save will more than pay for a fork and shock rebuild (and you can get them re-valved to suit at the same time) - and a new pair of tyres! These frames are over $5k now, and bikes start at $10k.
And unless you are planning on the local show-and-shine, your spanking new bike will look like a demo in a few weeks/months time after a few surf down the nearest rock-garden.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Depending on usage, condition and if you are cool with the colour, I'd go the 5.9k option with lyrik upgrade.. although that price difference should be minimal, as pikes and lyriks are the same price.
Saying that, if you can be bothered, you could buy all new parts found on sale all over the place and get away with spending $2500 for awesome brand new spec list, plus cost of frame and your time to build it if you're confident to do so. I just did this and it cost me about $1k less than buying complete, and is the exact spec I wanted.

Last edited:

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
As soon as you ride it, it'll be just as used as a demo and it'll get scratched anyway if you use it.

Go the cheapest option, sell all your existing stuff and use the proceeds to pay for upgrades!

I personally got a new frame and new bits and saved a lot off retail of the complete bike, but that frame was brand new to the market, not available second hand or demo, etc

doihoi

Likes Dirt
I'd go this option

$5.9k
Demo Bronson CC in custom build
Used Pike RCT3 150mm
Fox float x
Stans Flow to Hope hubs
Fox transfer dropper
Raceface AL crankset

Option for lyric RC over Pike rct3 extra $

I supply
Xx1 drivetrain
Guide ultimates

Few reasons, one, you're saving $1k two, you still have SC warranty and three, you're using XX1 drivetrain and Guide Ultimates (so you're making good use of your old parts)

For me the selling point is saving the $1k, $1k can go a long way whether it'd be keeping it for future upgrades or even getting something that's not bike related.

I'm with NUTTTR's comment, the moment you roll the new frame out the shop, it's now 'used'

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
thanks for all the input gents, it's given me a bit to think about.

i was super keen on the new spec enduro and saw it in the flesh yesterday. it's a super nice looking machine, and it could sway me to a 29er but no bikes available until early 2017 by the sounds of things.

so that brings me back to the bronson. i'm thinking the 5.9 option too as i don't mind the pink, it comes with hope/flow combo wheels and the lyric will more than likely be the icing on a sweet sweet cake!

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
thanks for all the input gents, it's given me a bit to think about.

i was super keen on the new spec enduro and saw it in the flesh yesterday. it's a super nice looking machine, and it could sway me to a 29er but no bikes available until early 2017 by the sounds of things.

so that brings me back to the bronson. i'm thinking the 5.9 option too as i don't mind the pink, it comes with hope/flow combo wheels and the lyric will more than likely be the icing on a sweet sweet cake!
Don't go 29... I've never ridden one, but I'm sure it's not as good as 27.5!

How much are the spec Enduro going for now? I thought they'd be a bit more than the Bronson...

I can only suggest demoing the Bronson for the VPP suspension (assume they still use it)... I've heard it feels very different to the specialized and dw link (which I prefer)

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

I'm with you. Take in all factors before deciding. Not wanting to be Negative Nancy but how long has it been a demo? I looked at a demo bike last weekend and when I found out that the demo stands for "hire the bike for $80 for the weekend and mates take it inbetween" and it had been a demo for a year I was a bit put off.... It still came with a frame warranty too.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought a demo HT bike at a good price with full warranty, what can go wrong with a hardtail?. However things kept breaking like the seat after 3 weeks, rear axle, spokes, a bolt broke, rim cracked and all within the first 4 months. The brake pads were probably 60% gone, chain worn already. As far as getting warranty the shop wasn't close by and was really very much less than helpful (or useless) with doing anything related to a warranty.

I just bought new bits and replaced all the worn stuff and it has been robust since not worth the struggle. However the price would have been better to just buy a frame and buy the parts separately. So for me I would never buy a Demo bike again but if you do make sure you know the bike shop is one you can rely on to be helpful with the warranty.