Denting rims

Hi, I am after some advice. I dent my rear rim almost every ride. It’s pinching flat and doing my head in. I am trying to ride smoother and lighter but every time I try s harder track I end up walking home.

I ride a stock rim, minion, not tubeless, at about 30-35 psi. I don’t have a pressure gauge so just use the pumps gauge but I’m pretty sure it’s barkers.

Question is, what is my bet way to prevent the flats and dents? Can you recommend a good 27.5 rim, should I go double ply on tire and would tubeless help at all?

Or do I just need to ride better?!

Thanks in advance
Chris

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
What's the stock rim? Where are you riding and what do you weigh?

Sounds like tubeless would help (with the pinch flats anyway) and a stronger rim for sure. Once we know the rim you're on, we can suggest an upgrade.

Sounds a bit strange that you have such high pressure and still getting flats so also worth checking the reading against a mate's gauge if yout can.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sounds a bit strange that you have such high pressure and still getting flats so also worth checking the reading against a mate's gauge if yout can.
Indeed and more info needed.
He needs a tyre pressure gauge, 35psi will bounce you all around the trails unless you weigh something like 100kg.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Do your riding buddies have the same attrition rate with rims, what do they do differently to you? Pressure, line choice, riding style, suspension setup?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Hardtail / dually? Most stock single ply tyres are pretty average for punch flats. Try an EXO casing as a minimum on Maxxis tyres, and possibly look at the DD casing or if you really kill the tyres, go a downhill casing....

Shredden

Knows his goats
As mentioned above - 35psi, EXO or Dual Ply casing, thicker tubes or tubeless.

If the dinting is so bad that the rim starts to crack or separate at the join you might be up for a new rim, at which point you could look at going to something slightly heavier that will be a bit stronger.

Could also try one of those foam inserts in the tire?

Great thanks for all the rapid replies! Much appreciated.

To try get an answer to some of the questions:

My bike is a canyon Spectral.

Rims are DT Swiss M1700 Spline II.

Potentially my gauge on my pump is truly stuffed and I’m riding a lot lower than I thought. Bike doesn’t bounce around off roots etc, I hate that feeling.

Yes dual suspension. EXO casing on minion.

I weigh 80kg.

I ride in Rotorua. All grade tracks but the roots are what get me.

I like a low tire pressure as to not get bucked around. I don’t really struggle for grip either but some hits I take to the rims don’t feel good.

I will try bump up the pressure and see where that gets me.

As for riding smoother/ line choice... I have definitely improved but still need a lot of work. Trying to get better but hard when you get s flat each time!

I see vids on Pinkbike etc and blokes are almost ripping their tire off in berms so how do they run so low without needing a new rim each month?

I can see how tubeless would stop flats but it wouldn’t stop me denting the rim would it?

Maybe I try s downhill casing on the minion and see where that gets me.

Could anyone suggest a rim upgrade. Probably not after carbon tho, the dog won’t appreciate it if I can’t feed it any longer!

Jpez

Down on the left!
I ride those same rims tubeless in the rock strewn You Yangs with low pressure EXO minions. I’m 87kg.
I’m no smooth rider and make heaps of poor line choice but don’t dent my rims.
It has to be more riding style over rims being poor quality. I’d be trying tubeless and cushcore as mentioned above.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I ride those same rims tubeless in the rock strewn You Yangs with low pressure EXO minions. I’m 87kg.
I’m no smooth rider and make heaps of poor line choice but don’t dent my rims.
It has to be more riding style over rims being poor quality. I’d be trying tubeless and cushcore as mentioned above.
I don't think you can even begin to compare riding at Rotorua to anything at the You Yangs.... World Class MTB vs A small ant hill with groomed single track.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I don't think you can even begin to compare riding at Rotorua to anything at the You Yangs.... World Class MTB vs A small ant hill with groomed single track.
Yep totally different you’re right but amongst the “groomed single track” there are still plenty of opportunities for rim smashing. Just saying I’m a hack and I don’t dint those rims where I have others.

moorey

call me Mia
Some people just dent rims for no apparent reason. My son is 12, 35kg, rides pretty hard, but smooth, but cracks, bends and dents rims like no one I know. Not weak rims, started him on stans arch ex, bam. Then my flow ex, bam. Then put him on my Hope 35w, bam. Now got him on flow mk3. So far so good.
Not running low pressure, and he’s no hack, just a monster.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a decent pressure guage.
35psi on a standard tyre will deflect a couple of mm under a firm squeeze. If you're a rockclimber more like 5mm.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I was going to suggest eating less pies...but saw your weight and figure you mustn't be eating too many pies.

I don't recall any of the trails in rotorua being particularly rocky either, more loam and ruts.

I was going to suggest eating less pies...but saw your weight and figure you mustn't be eating too many pies.

I don't recall any of the trails in rotorua being particularly rocky either, more loam and ruts.
Na not many rocks in Rotorua, it’s the roots.