Depression- need help?

.dan.

Likes Dirt
Thanks for posting this thread JD. I'm really sorry for your loss mate.

I've been dealing with depression since my older brother died 8 years ago. I was only 11 when it happened, and it took me a long time to realize I was suffering from depression. I basically feel like I've forgotten what it feels like to be happy. This year has by far been the worst since the year he died. I've been close a few times to calling it quits, but quite literally the only reason I haven't is because I don't want my family to go through losing another son. Besides family, riding and music are really the only things that have been able to keep me going. After reading through this thread I've decided that I'm going to seek help. So thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Thanks for starting this thread JD. Thanks to everyone for sharing, I know for some it's not the easiest thing to do. Rest assured it is the best thing to do, though, as you'll not only help yourself, but show someone else who's silently suffering that there's no shame in speaking up.

I've been dealing with depression since my older brother died 8 years ago. I was only 11 when it happened, and it took me a long time to realize I was suffering from depression. I basically feel like I've forgotten what it feels like to be happy. This year has by far been the worst since the year he died. I've been close a few times to calling it quits, but quite literally the only reason I haven't is because I don't want my family to go through losing another son. Besides family, riding and music are really the only things that have been able to keep me going. After reading through this thread I've decided that I'm going to seek help. So thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.
Glad you're going to get some help mate. I really do think (and hope) you'll be better for it, it helped me. If anyone isn't comfortable talking to friends, family or professionals, you can always bend my ear. Inbox me if you feel you have no-one else to turn to.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Well done folks. You lot are inspiring. I'm up for a friendly chat and share experiences anytime.

I am very pleased to see such open and honest discussion

Klips

Likes Dirt
This thread plus the dad thread. Great reminders that, for all the bullshit, the internet is made up of real people and there's some genuinely lovely ones on here.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I just finished a 13 hour day from hell, my only break from stupidity was being on the phone with 2 different insurance companies...I just come across this post while working through what is here and it has made my day. Well done for making the decision to reach out Dan. And well done for setting this up JD. This thread has paid for itself ten fold, and a little more.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

Good on you .dan.:, you are now on the way up. The hardest thing is realising that you need to help yourself.

I'm grateful I had a resilient and supportive wife because I must have been an arse to live with over a very dark 5 year period. I eventually realised I needed to seek help and did. The doc explained it to me as the brain becoming used to the negative chemicals it produces over time. It's why you forget how happy feels, you end up in a new normal.

All the best mate, stay strong and you'll soon be seeing the light again.

Thanks for the kind words yesterday.

Seems I have been provided with a new perspective on things this morning, I feel like I'm on the up.

I may even go for a ride on the weekend.

your_neighbour

Likes Dirt
Thanks for starting this thread JD.

I was diagnosed with depression just recently, after co-caring for my father for over 2 years who was terminally ill and passed away a couple of months ago at home. It was an intense time and definitely took its toll on me.

Recognising where I was at took a while, and putting my hand up for help took alot. Though, no looking back now, with some professional help, I am definitely on the mend and feeling better as each day passes.

So much support out there if you need it, don't try take it all on by yourself, you gotta know when to put your hand up for help, it will be for the better and you will get out of that cloud.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Good thinking JD. ;)

Over the years of being an admin on this site, I've come across some people on the forums who strike most of us as obscene and should be banned. You may be surprised to know that I often message some of these members privately and chat to them in the hope that they are just mucking around and looking for a laugh. Sometimes they aren't, sometimes they are down in the dumps and are seeking a bit of attention and chatting with people really helps. I cringe when some people ask a question on here and they get slayed by people who are also looking for a laugh but not thinking that they may be hitting someone the wrong way. I'm not suggesting we back down on the laughs but t's good to assume that the guy on the other end may be here to get amongst the shenanigans and doesn't expect someone to go postal at them.
It isn't much but I have helped a few dudes get out of a rut just by talking on here and they've gotten out and made something for themselves. That's more than enough reason for me to keep on truckin' on here. ;)
Yeah I imagine you would see the symptoms at times as a mod. While the interwebs lack all the emotional receptors and are just words on a page you can often see when someone is going a little pear shaped.

I have personally done that before- got so embedded in a thread, opinion, trying to right a perceived wrong- that I didnt come up for air and got swallowed up. Silly to most but completely normal to sufferers. Thats what Steve Jobs P was talking about- cant let go even of stuff that doesnt matter and after a while all that stuff piles up and seems insurmountable

It is great that you PM and see whats up before banning their arse and sending them to the Road bike Forum

We traditionally are pretty poor at recognising the signs and often worse at helping

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It isn't much but I can offer to set up a private forum on here for approved members who want to chat to other guys but off the public scene. Think about it guys, if you think it'd be something you'd like to do then feel free to PM me and I'll see if it'll get enough interest to give some folks a place to chat with people who have been a bit down and can offer an ear. ;)

crash3

Likes Dirt
It isn't much but I can offer to set up a private forum on here for approved members who want to chat to other guys but off the public scene. Think about it guys, if you think it'd be something you'd like to do then feel free to PM me and I'll see if it'll get enough interest to give some folks a place to chat with people who have been a bit down and can offer an ear. ;)
I think that's a pretty good idea there, @Dozer. I'm in.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Man, that's an awesome idea. Job job

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
+1 here too.

zac

Likes Dirt
Sorry for your loss JD, I'm realising this week exactly what you've (and many, many others before) have gone through after losing my uncle to depression over the weekend. Its horrific and awful and painful but I guess he's found peace at last.

I've been in the same boat before and I was shocked to hear that I've even said the same things about suicide as he had a long time ago (to the effect that he didn't want to live but would prefer to suffer through his life at the time than to put his parents, sisters and kids through the pain of dealing with his loss.) I'm not going to lie, it worries me that we've both used the same justification which failed him 25 years later even though I know we're two completely different people and that my life is/has been/will be different from his.

We hadn't really worried about his mental health a lot lately, and even looking back on the last times we'd seen and spoken to him I couldn't say that I'd noticed anything really amiss. I don't know whether that means I just didn't notice or that he hid it that well or even that something so huge came up so suddenly that he felt he simply couldn't deal with it, I just don't know.

Talk if you need to talk. Find someone, anyone to have a chat with, you never know it just might be exactly what you need. And don't wait for an R U OK day to ask someone how they're doing, if you think something's amiss smile, say hi, ask how they're going. Even if something's not still do it, cause it might help them approach someone else and bring just enough light into their day to stop it going dark.

I'm sorry if I've rambled a bit and not made a jot of sense but this is all pretty fresh and I want to urge people to seek help when things are looking dark.

I'm in to offer an ear, too.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are ever down my observation is that the cause is you do not have the resources to deal with a situation or experience; knowledge, will, network of people or money. The only constant is change and sometimes its hard to keep up. Find something you can hold onto, aspire to or love and remind yourself of that when you're not feeling well.

Remember that your lineage has survived from the beginning of time. From the beginning of consciousness to now. Your ancestors survived against the odds, against poisonous plants and apex predators with nothing but the fur on their back.

Living is a struggle for everyone, though the only thing worse than being alive is not being alive. Repeat those words to yourself and know that it is the truth. And remember that you live in one of the best countries in the world.

My condolences to everyone who has lost a loved one in this terrible way.