Derailleur hanger alignment tool

For the purpose of installing and tuning a rear mech ( new or existing) as opposed to straightening a known out of alignment hanger is it worth owning this tool ?

moorey

call me Mia
Have personally never used one. Once, 10 year ago, asked shop to align one after a bingle. Came back worse shifting than ever. I had a quick fiddle by eye, and sorted it.
Not saying don’t get one, but I don’t find the need for one.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
I’ve only recently brought a hanger straighter. I should have brought one 20 years ago

I think it’s one of the most useful tools a mountain biker can own and needs to be on the list of first tools to get

I’m using mine on bikes more or less every time they go in the stand. Rear mechs live a hard life. Only have to look at the rock scaring on mine. Mech hangers absorb a lot of that and just need regular, gentle realignment on a regular basis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
I don’t remember the last time my mech had a strike, and I’m regularly riding in really rocky places. You’re way moar Gnarr than me.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
I don’t remember the last time my mech had a strike, and I’m regularly riding in really rocky places. You’re way moar Gnarr than me.
More clumsy and less accurate

That photo was after a Thredbo trip. There were some real mech wreckers on the top section of the flow trail. Lucky just scuff it and not to trash it completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I've got one of those X-Tools ones.... it's OK but as the reviews say it does have a bit of play in the bolt used to screw it to the hanger.... just compensate for this and job's done.

stirk

Burner
I got vigilinked.

$35 is ok, not sure I want to drop $100 on the park tools version.

However I'm a crossthreader from way back, not sure I can rely on my eye.
I got vaglinked too!

Some hangers are made from cheese, mine was, so you could get alot of use from it. I just bought a north shore billet one, no issues since.

Z

Zaf

It occurs to me that you could just buy three spare hangers for your bike for the price of the tool.
I've been unlucky and smashed two XTR Derailluers in the past year on rocks, and even I'm not replacing my hangers enough to warrant purchasing that tool.

Also mandatory reminder that I'm about to go to a gearbox and leave this "pleb-tier life of using a derailleur" behind. I don't think I've mentioned it to anyone in a couple of days, so any excuse.