Derby in Tassi

Two maybe three days in Derby, what's the best way to get as much in as possible?
Looks like Atlas and Blue Tier are must do's but there seems to be much much more to ride.
Will absolutely be doing shuttles but how many shuttles would you expect in a day of riding? I know the trail choice is a factor here but I would be keen to get as much trail time as possible. I can pedal but it's not my favourite part of riding, is it a significant part of the riding?
Is it realistic to think that linking a few up is the go or do you do the same trails a few times to get a handle on the flow?
Looks totally spoilt for choice with options down there?

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Two maybe three days in Derby, what's the best way to get as much in as possible?
Looks like Atlas and Blue Tier are must do's but there seems to be much much more to ride.
Will absolutely be doing shuttles but how many shuttles would you expect in a day of riding? I know the trail choice is a factor here but I would be keen to get as much trail time as possible. I can pedal but it's not my favourite part of riding, is it a significant part of the riding?
Is it realistic to think that linking a few up is the go or do you do the same trails a few times to get a handle on the flow?
Looks totally spoilt for choice with options down there?
over 3 days you should be able to get the majority of them done...

day 1 - blue tiers - bottom 3/4 of big chook and atlas into dambusters (black dragon option)
day 2 - krushkas - trouty // shuttle black stump options (return to sender/flickity sticks/shearpin/detonate/upper shearpin)
day 3 - whatever you enjoyed the most + whatever you werent able to shuttle at black stump the day prior

you'll ride axehead/saw tooth/berms and ferns numerous times over the few days....if you arent lazy you'll also ride up to black stump shuttle point on long shadows....

that accounts for a large majority of the trails without doing shorter connecting trails or a full dambuster loop

over 3 days you should be able to get the majority of them done...

day 1 - blue tiers - bottom 3/4 of big chook and atlas into dambusters (black dragon option)
day 2 - krushkas - trouty // shuttle black stump options (return to sender/flickity sticks/shearpin/detonate/upper shearpin)
day 3 - whatever you enjoyed the most + whatever you werent able to shuttle at black stump the day prior

you'll ride axehead/saw tooth/berms and ferns numerous times over the few days....if you arent lazy you'll also ride up to black stump shuttle point on long shadows....

that accounts for a large majority of the trails without doing shorter connecting trails or a full dambuster loop
Not lazy. Need to make the most of it. Tasmania is a long trip from WA
This is shuttles with Vertigo? Seems like they are the choice down there? Will be hiring a bike from them anyway I'm guessing.
thanks for the advice.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Just got back from 5 mint days in Derby. There are new owners of the Dorset pub which is up near the cop shop. New owners are MTB'ers. Go in and have a few pints and help them out.

BTW - i do not know the owners. Just pleased to see some friendly people who are mtb'ers take over a dump and trying to turn it into something great.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
shuffled out

Just got back from 5 mint days in Derby. There are new owners of the Dorset pub which is up near the cop shop. New owners are MTB'ers. Go in and have a few pints and help them out.

BTW - i do not know the owners. Just pleased to see some friendly people who are mtb'ers take over a dump and trying to turn it into something great.
wow, ol mate sold it finally ehhh.... didn't think he ever would. bring on the cold beer n good times......

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Awesome news. The Dorset definitely has potential. Hope the new crew make the most of it.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

I’ll do my best to stay ‘hydrated’ !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Any input on how the trail network is holding up? Keeping my eye on the weather the last 2 weeks, seems to have a fair bit of rain!
If heading down on Friday.... hopefully everything is open and rideable.

rstim

Likes Dirt
I haven't ridden up there for a couple of weeks but can't see the rain doing anything but good for the whole trail network, the soil drains really well and was getting quite dry before the recent rain. Everything will be open and riding superbly enjoy your trip and make sure you try some of the EWS tracks Detonate is crazy but my favourite is Trouty well worth the pedal to the top.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Just finished riding Derby in 1.5 days I managed to squeeze these in, thanks again for these suggestions, certainly helped me narrow down the options

Flickety Sticks - Done - 3rd best trail IMO, very very nice flow. my first love with the Derby trail network

Long Shadows - Nice climb to the top plenty of switchbacks

Black Stump (you can take Long Shadows and ride Black Stump and jump onto Dam Busters, my favourite option) - Did the black stump run , more technical, and a few oh shit moments, but got down shearpin and 23 stitches in one piece with a bit of dabble.

Dambusters - only did half of this after doing Atlas. The half that I did was a great descending trail, more rocky than flickety sticks but nothing too scary

Krushkas/Rattler/Howler - Did 2/3rd of Kruskhas, made a mistake of going down Trouty after watching the EWS guys doing it like a walk in a park for them... well plenty of walking for me down here. Trouty feels like a double black diamond trail.

The whole Axe Head/Relics/Sawtooth/Berms and Ferns loop - did the axehead climb and relics sawtooth

Return to Sender - not too bad but not my favourite, flickety sticks is heaps better. I asked my wife to shuttle me to this run before I leave Derby.

And definitely try to do Blue Tier and Big Chook in Welborough 20km from Derby - I shuttled to Blue Tier, this trail is 10/10 !! riding through lush green forest with massive ferns and massive berms to match is a memory I won't forget. Damn GoPro decided to fail so I didn't get any footage.
I then rode to Atlas with a fit bloke from Canberra. Atlas is a little more rocky and techy compared to Blue Tier but it's also 10/10.

Tasmanian you are very blessed to have this trail network !! Will be back one day to revisit this place.

There's a few...

Flickety Sticks

Long Shadows

Black Stump (you can take Long Shadows and ride Black Stump and jump onto Dam Busters, my favourite option)

Dambusters

Krushkas/Rattler/Howler

The whole Axe Head/Relics/Sawtooth/Berms and Ferns loop

Return to Sender

And definitely try to do Blue Tier and Big Chook in Welborough 20km from Derby (You have to option to shuttle to the top or ride the old school Blue Tier Trail up and down the new trail.

Unless your very fit you probably won't get it all done.

What you could do if your keen, is get out for an early Long Shadows/Flickety Sticks lap, and have a shuttle for Blue Tier booked and then tackle as many of the other Derby trails after lunch.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Just finished riding Derby in 1.5 days I managed to squeeze these in, thanks again for these suggestions, certainly helped me narrow down the options

That's a pretty good effort for one and a half days. No matter how skilled you are (unless your a total noob) everyone has a big grin on their face at the bottom of Flickety Sticks :)
Trouty is my favourite trail at the moment at Derby, it's right on the limit of what my skills are currently at. It is double black diamond rated trail, you probably would have enjoyed the final 1/4 of Krushkas more. Still plenty to sample next time, and they are starting stage 2 very soon!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
WOOHOO !

Just got my leave picks for 2018-2019 (financial year) and were heading back to Tassie in January ! Looking like the 3rd till the 24th. The boys are gagging to get back and ride their bikes, mum is happy to spend 3 weeks there accommodating us.

Not a lot of touristy stuff this time, 4-5 days at Derby, 3-4 Maydena, Clarence MTB trails in Hobart, another run down the North-South Track and hopefully Wild Mersey Mountain Bike Trails if it gets up and going.

A break in between the riding will be Bruny Island for a couple of nights, definitely back to Cradle Mt, that place is magical and a few days in Strathgordon... not sure if we base ourselves there for 7-8 days and do every other day as a trip to Maydena, which is 70km away.

Looking forward to it !

Binaural

Eats Squid
So for various reason I've left my run a bit late in booking accommodation for Derby, and since I am only staying one night I'm thinking about just camping. Has anyone stayed in the camping grounds there? Any recommendations?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So for various reason I've left my run a bit late in booking accommodation for Derby, and since I am only staying one night I'm thinking about just camping. Has anyone stayed in the camping grounds there? Any recommendations?
I've stayed there last year(?). Its actually a pretty good spot. Toilets on site. 200m from the dorset pub. Its free (IIRC) with some nice shady spots under the trees.

Opposite end of town to the trail head, but its a 2 minute cruisy pedal while taking you past the coffee shops!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Come to Maydena in January. I have a whole house.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I've stayed there last year(?). Its actually a pretty good spot. Toilets on site. 200m from the dorset pub. Its free (IIRC) with some nice shady spots under the trees.

Opposite end of town to the trail head, but its a 2 minute cruisy pedal while taking you past the coffee shops!
Yep the campground is good, with the added bonus of a swim in the river at the end of a day on the trails. Be worth speaking to the Dorset hotel as well as the new owners are letting people camp there and they have bike storage facilities.

PJO

in me vL comy
You'll be glad you didn't book the camping is fine, have been doing it with my 3 boys for years. The campground is mostly full of mountain bikers (a few grey nomads here and there), always good to have a chin wag over a beer after the ride, mostly everyone is shagged after riding so there aren't usually late parties (good if you are going with kids).
The toilet block should be finished by now, was being upgraded the last couple of times I went. When are you going?

binner

Hath shat hymself
just got back from Maydena and derby, did 9 days with a fly into Hobart to pick up dual cab ute, quick stop at bunnos to buy materials to make bike rack then we drove to Maydena stayed at blue square accom (was pretty awesome place) we did 2 days in Maydena then did the 4 hrs to Derby via the great lake (lotsa roadworks and down to 40klm for what felt like klm and klms) Hit our ol pub accom at Winnaleah Hotel. Di, the owner is awesome and you meet all the locals, really cool place to stay and at 40 bucks a nite with own room, clean linen, conti brekkie included and a chance to work behind her bar and pull yr own beers if your nice....

did a few new trails in Derby, but Roxanne was closed ... Bummer, really wanted to hit that one, Kingswall is kinda cool but perfect landscape territory for snakes and big suckers too!!. air ya garn is rad!!, deadly bugga is cool with sweet lil booters, shearpin is sweet as and a bit tech which I like.

we shuttled ourselves to Blue tier, then we found the track to the start of Big Chook, never done Big Chook completely so finally tick that one off. Then we shuttled to Atlas and did the big ride back to Derby. when we got there there was a dude doing a photoshoot with his Ebikes, Rocky mountain's so of course we all asked for a spin and boom the dude was like yeah, what size are you , here ya go, go for a spin...like whoah now i'm on a 11k ebike giggling and smiling all up the trail.....

The Dorset has awesome food now and much more pleasant owner operators so we usually ended up there in the arvo for a beer n feed.... I'm back there again from 7th Jan to 11th, have to go back for roxanne and hire an ebike for half a day , just to really see what they are like ;-)

Attachments