Derby in Tassi

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Sorry to butt in ttnguyen but i would definitely go dually on Derby terrain.
12 of us went, 1 rode a hardtail and suffered, it is rocky and the routes are long.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Well, off the boat this morning at 5:30am after our "Return to Derby Trip" and back home to Adelaide about 2ish, we well and truly got our Derby fix, its an awesome place and the new trails are out of this world. We also had a uplift day at Maydena, a lift to the top of Wellington for the North South track, a quick scoot around Mehan and another quickie at Penguin before the boat rather than Latrobes New Mersey trails as it was hot, dry and sticky.

So we had a total of 10 full days in Derby, 6 at the start and 4.5 at the end, with a break for the shuttle bunny over to the beach at Binalong & Bay of fires on a stinking hot day.

The missus shuttled us 2 x Blue Tiers, 4 x Atlas and 26 x Blackstumps (had a count of them on Strava)
We rode every trail in Derby except Long Shadows up and Krushkas climb as we didn't need to ride up anywhere except the Snig track. Most trails done several times... Strava says 7 runs at Air Ya Garn and I know we did Trouty 4 times, Detonate 3, Kingswall 3 ect...

My boys on hardtails cleared every black and double black from top to bottom except the 2nd chute on Detonate and a roll over drop on Shearpin, which I wouldn't allow them to do... they have come away from there absolutely buzzing.

Favourite trails are ironically mostly the new ones... Trouty, Roxanne, Detonate, Kumma Gutza, Black Dragon (up and down), Deadly Bugga, Air Ya Garn and Kingswall.

I have taken 135 short GoPro vids so a YouTube will be done soon.

Here's a couple of the 1200 pics I took, we'll definitely be back.

ozzybmx

Was an awesome trip, yeah they are definitely committed... too committed.
They just want to hit everything which scares me as they have no idea what it's like to be lying in hospital injured.
It was relatively successful in the crash stakes, plenty of cuts and bruises, a Proframe chin bar scored to shit on a berm washout, which could have been a chin or teeth and then #1 son of course... wins the crash prize with a visit to Scottsdale Hospital for loosing a fair bit of bark from his elbow on a pump track crash.
The nurse at Scottsdale reckons there's been more carnage on that pump track lately than on the trails.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Was an awesome trip, yeah they are definitely committed... too committed.
They just want to hit everything which scares me as they have no idea what it's like to be lying in hospital injured.
It was relatively successful in the crash stakes, plenty of cuts and bruises, a Proframe chin bar scored to shit on a berm washout, which could have been a chin or teeth and then #1 son of course... wins the crash prize with a visit to Scottsdale Hospital for loosing a fair bit of bark from his elbow on a pump track crash.
The nurse at Scottsdale reckons there's been more carnage on that pump track lately than on the trails.

Scottsdale is loving the attention of failures in Derby, they have shit to do thru the day now :p:D;)

ozzybmx

Scottsdale is loving the attention of failures in Derby, they have shit to do thru the day now :p:D;)
Shopping, decent bottle shop, BP servo, chemist... ect
My missus drove in there about 4 times for stuff, luckily we got #1 patched up enroute to Hobart.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey kids! Please critique our derby plans...
We're doing 3 days @ derby followed by 2 (i'd hoped for 3) days at maydena in early march.
The crowd had come up with; day 1 black stump shuttles in the arvo. Day 2 atlas/blue tier all day thing, day 3 more black stump shuttles all day.
Will this allow us to experience the best derby has to offer? We've never been so pretty keen to get some experienced advice!

rstim

Likes Dirt
Yeah that should get you coverage of most trails at Derby just make sure when you do the Atlas shuttle you take the link trail across to trouty instead of the dam busters descent. Will save most of the peddle up the Krushkas climb it's one of my favorites and not to be missed. The rest of the network can mostly be accessed off the black stump shuttles but you will need to do the approx 30min climb up snig track to access 3 of the new trails which are all worth the climb. Black Dragon is also worth a ride if you've got time and you like technical rocky stuff 20-25min hard climb or push up from the bottom of the trail or can be ridden on a dam busters lap.
Are you sorted for transport shuttles etc?

We're doing 3 days @ derby followed by 2 (i'd hoped for 3) days at maydena in early march.
The crowd had come up with; day 1 black stump shuttles in the arvo. Day 2 atlas/blue tier all day thing, day 3 more black stump shuttles all day.
Will this allow us to experience the best derby has to offer? We've never been so pretty keen to get some experienced advice!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Well, off the boat this morning at 5:30am after our "Return to Derby Trip" and back home to Adelaide about 2ish, we well and truly got our Derby fix, its an awesome place and the new trails are out of this world. We also had a uplift day at Maydena, a lift to the top of Wellington for the North South track, a quick scoot around Mehan and another quickie at Penguin before the boat rather than Latrobes New Mersey trails as it was hot, dry and sticky.

So we had a total of 10 full days in Derby, 6 at the start and 4.5 at the end, with a break for the shuttle bunny over to the beach at Binalong & Bay of fires on a stinking hot day.

The missus shuttled us 2 x Blue Tiers, 4 x Atlas and 26 x Blackstumps (had a count of them on Strava)
We rode every trail in Derby except Long Shadows up and Krushkas climb as we didn't need to ride up anywhere except the Snig track. Most trails done several times... Strava says 7 runs at Air Ya Garn and I know we did Trouty 4 times, Detonate 3, Kingswall 3 ect...

My boys on hardtails cleared every black and double black from top to bottom except the 2nd chute on Detonate and a roll over drop on Shearpin, which I wouldn't allow them to do... they have come away from there absolutely buzzing.

Favourite trails are ironically mostly the new ones... Trouty, Roxanne, Detonate, Kumma Gutza, Black Dragon (up and down), Deadly Bugga, Air Ya Garn and Kingswall.

I have taken 135 short GoPro vids so a YouTube will be done soon.

Here's a couple of the 1200 pics I took, we'll definitely be back.
Wow you guys must have had tired legs after all that.
I was up at Derby on the weekend and did most of the new stuff, Snig Track/Kings Wall, Air Ya Garn and the trails around the lake.
How did you find the Penguin trails?

ozzybmx

Wow you guys must have had tired legs after all that.
I was up at Derby on the weekend and did most of the new stuff, Snig Track/Kings Wall, Air Ya Garn and the trails around the lake.
How did you find the Penguin trails?
Yeah... I have lost some interest to ride, only back 4 days so its coming back slowly, might head out for a gravel ride tonight as its stinking hot here in SA, though got a lot of maintenance to do on the bikes, bled my rear brake yesterday as I cooked the fluid and need to do a seal service on both my fork and shock.

We had intended to go to Latrobe and do the Wild Mersey trails but it was sticky and 34°C as we passed through there... also I know what it's like to suffer the let-down of other trail networks after riding Derby so decided to give it a miss and head back for a play on the wooden stuff at Penguin as we rode there the last time we were in Tas. Definitely worth a visit but its not a place to spend the day, the wooden 'progressive' jumps and wooden berms are good for skill building with young kids and good fun for bigger kids.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
Day 2 atlas/blue tier all day thing
Hey Ky1e,
When you finish Blue Tier don't have a big lunch at Weldborough. Take a few small things to get you through and get the first shuttle up to Atlas (1100-1130?) Turn off for the link to Troutie and finish on an amazing trail. Then you will have most of the afternoon left to do more if you can handle it. The link trail was not signposted a few weeks back so ask around for the correct spot.
Aside from that, there are no bad options in Derby.

ozzybmx

Hey Ky1e,
When you finish Blue Tier don't have a big lunch at Weldborough. Take a few small things to get you through and get the first shuttle up to Atlas (1100-1130?) Turn off for the link to Troutie and finish on an amazing trail. Then you will have most of the afternoon left to do more if you can handle it. The link trail was not signposted a few weeks back so ask around for the correct spot.
Aside from that, there are no bad options in Derby.
Agreed ! If you only have a short time there, you need to maximise your days, on the Blue Tier/Atlas day, you can easily get 3 x blackstumps in on the afternoon.
The link to Trouty is signposted now, it splits 3 ways on Atlas, signposted Dam Busters/Black Dragon/Krushkas, the Krushkas Link trail takes you to the Mighty Trout.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Just 3 uplifts it used to be as many as you could fit in, I think I managed 5 or 6 once those were good times. I think madmtb may do an express airya garn shuttle that is 4 lifts but it limits you to only ride that trail.
The other option if there a good number of riders is to contact Premium MTB transfers who do private shuttles and airport transfers to and from Derby or Maydena. Might be able to fit a bit more in with him.
How does the blackstump shuttles work? Is it just 3 uplifts or is it as much as you can fit in 3 hours?
Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Met quite a few that were doing serious planning into how they were going to structure their blackstump shuttle package. 3 shuttle package, doing 1 per hour, 1 Kingswall, 2 RTS, 3 Snig-Roxanne, Snig-Kuma Gutza. As the last shuttle has no time limit on it.
I believe the shuttle companies allow an hour to get down, except Premium, he will take you straight back up when you are all ready.

ozzybmx

Not sure on the weather but if you are camping, you might have an issue on the Easter weekend. The campsite is probably the only gripe I have about Derby... people with 1 vehicle and 2 small tents taking up enough space for 4 full sized Van's, people purposely blocking an area so to have no one near them. I had a argument with some 'earth muffin' on my second visit, she blocked the whole east corner of the campsite with her vehicle and refused to move it.
2 x NSW families came in on the Friday with vans, no room because of about 4 people taking up space for 10-12 vans ... then left, I later seen them in Branxholm Caravan park, so Derby misses out because of selfish individuals. The real estate around the awesome new toilet and shower block is hotly contested space and with no marked camp spaces, it relies on people to do the right thing... if people dont realise it free for everyone to share, the best solution may be to mark out sites and make people pay for them.
It's actually infuriating seeing Van's with 5 bikes on them drive away, when a camper who has no bikes and eats at the camp for every meal taking up unnecessary space.
Going on the traffic over the Jan School hols, the campsite empties Sun/Mon and fills back up Thur/Fri.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys.

How is Derby (weather and trail wise) around end of April (Easter break)?
Weather should still be reasonably good will be a bit cooler but it's not an issue when your riding. Just make sure you pack some warm gear/ jacket and are prepared to ride in the wet the trails should still be awesome with a bit more moisture about at that time of the year. You can ride Derby all year round without any problem the soil drains really well and the rocks are just as grippy wet as they are dry.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk