Derby in Tassi

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Well, I ride Derby regularly and the You Yangs kicked my arse.
Busted up my bike and my foot is still sore 2 weeks later. Some of it really reminded me of Derby - the dirt tastes very similar.
Which tracks at You Yangs did you find difficult? Just the Double Diamonds?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah its a nice video and very inspiring.
I am concerned however about how the bike tracks and access roads will be maintained.
since I was last there the shuttling is much busier and slightly out of control esp at Black stump drop off .
Not sure who is in charge of maintenance whether it is volunteers or paid by govt or shire ?

binner

Hath shat hymself
I am concerned however about how the bike tracks and access roads will be maintained.
since I was last there the shuttling is much busier and slightly out of control esp at Black stump drop off .
Not sure who is in charge of maintenance whether it is volunteers or paid by govt or shire ?
chairlift time........... :p;););):);):p:)

rstim

Likes Dirt
The trails are maintained by the local council with 3 permanent guys on the job and extra staff used when needed. The shuttle road is a different kettle of fish with the council in charge of the bottom section then it goes to Forestry TAS who won't do anything with the road unless they are going to use it for harvesting purposes. It has received a minor upgrade but needs big dollars spent to make it wider and safer for the amount of traffic it is seeing. I'm sure it's on the council's radar but who knows when?

binner

Hath shat hymself
every time I return to Derby town it just gets more hectic each time, both the riding , the shuttles,the new houses, the shops and the traffic. I admit the last 2 times i have been there we did private shuttles to black stump, why wouldn't you if you had a vehicle.
There were a few shuttles that we did when we were met by a local shuttle company coming either up or down and was greeted with a lot of" holding the line" on the road shall we say.... hrmmmm weird huh. I could see by this that there was going to be trouble soon with the use of the road, the amount of traffic and who was using it. There were mum shuttles, young fellas in their shuttle utes and other punters.
Not sure what the answer is but as long as it is a public road and we aren't being shuttle cocks then I'll shuttle. Man, I remember the second time I was there I was riding up that road time and time again to get some quick laps in, almost killed me :D;):oops::oops::oops:

Could you imagine if a chairlift system was built ...... pipe dreams I know but pretty cool

*cool story bro, I got in first :p

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Brother sent this to me last night:

3 houses for $600k seems a good deal but would be lots if work still to keep income rolling in.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Anyone in Derby tomorrow? I'm heading over from St Helens and I'm hoping to park at the top of blue tier then ride to down to Derby and do the trails around there. I'm trying to work out how to get back to the car at the top of blue tier and can't get hold of any of the shuttle companies so happy to pay if a burner can give me a lift back up.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not there till the 30th or could have helped you out.

There's a Total Fire Ban for the whole East side of Tassie until the 31st, how does this affect the trail access ?

rstim

Likes Dirt

There's a Total Fire Ban for the whole East side of Tassie until the 31st, how does this affect the trail access ?
No issues on the Derby network but the St Helens trails including the blue tier to bay of fires have been closed during fire ban periods. I did see last night that they may change this subject to local weather conditions and update it via Facebook. This is probably due to it being shut due to fire ban last Saturday and it was sub 20 degrees and overcast all day.

ozzybmx

Cheers rstim.

There was some backlash on bookface and people asking why St Helens was sending their hard earned share of MTB residents back to ride Derby.

Looks like they have had a think about it.

rstim

Likes Dirt
I think the fire risk is alot higher on the St Helens trails and if something started down there it could escalate quickly as it's so dry. I don't disagree with closing them if the weather conditions are right but if it's not hot and windy where is the problem. People don't understand that there actions may put volunteers at risk if the worst happens.

ozzybmx

The only problem I can see with this is, if they call a ban halfway through a day, no one will know and probably continue to shuttle, then if a fire starts, they will have people spread over a 40km trail and no idea how many are in there.

They don't want to be starting - Open ! Closed... sorry to disappoint you...

On a typical TFB day are the St Helens bush areas that now have these trails running through them usually closed to everyone ?

Litenbror

Eats Squid

Thanks mate sorted it with my wife and she shuttled which worked out alright. Must say the trails around Derby are nice would like to spend a week riding those.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
To anyone that has done the Bay of Fires trail, is it a must do? How long would it take for someone who is.... not fast and takes breaks often?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
To anyone that has done the Bay of Fires trail, is it a must do? How long would it take for someone who is.... not fast and takes breaks often?
I did it recently and it's a nice track. Blue tier to Derby is a must do but I think St Helens is a like to do. It's a pretty straight forward trail so what ever is your usual time for 34 or so klms. I would recommend a trail bike as after the first fast 12km it's a lot of xc/trail.