Derby in Tassi

EyeMacHunt

Likes Bikes
Is Derby worth going to for a week in July or August?

I'm a bit over work at the moment and need a sneaky holiday and that might be the only time i can squeeze a holiday in.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Weather could be shite, and if not it'll be real nippy in the mornings but it's worth the gamble if you have a week up your sleeve. Derby rides well when it's wet, the rocks are grippy and the underlying soil generally drains real fast so unless you get an apocalyptic downpour the trails will be open. If you are fit you will cover all the trails over two very full days, one day for Blue Tier - Atlas + another (Flickety Sticks/ Return to Sender), one day for the rest of the Derby network. Better to have three though if you want to take it easy and have some flexibility for weather.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yeah, as long as it's not raining it will still be sweet. I've heading out for a boys trip this weekend. :rockon:

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Heads up for those coming to Derby, after this weekend the Blue Tier descent/ Big Chook will be closed as trail conditions are too wet (see here). I can't say I've been up there recently but I had mates there last weekend and they reported that it was a real mudfest and not enjoyable to ride. They did say though that everything on the Derby side of the hill including the new EWS trails were sweet.

teK--

Eats Squid
Heads up for those coming to Derby, after this weekend the Blue Tier descent/ Big Chook will be closed as trail conditions are too wet (see here). I can't say I've been up there recently but I had mates there last weekend and they reported that it was a real mudfest and not enjoyable to ride. They did say though that everything on the Derby side of the hill including the new EWS trails were sweet.
Thanks for heads up. Does anyone know what it is like around late September? Thinking of making the most of Grand Final Weeknd.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Spring is the most changeable season in Tassie so you could equally get a cracking weekend, or it might piss down rain and blow its arse off. Blue Tier should be back open by then but I'd expect it to be still wet. Derby trails will ride fine.

Hi all,
just got back from Derby yesterday. It is still worth the trip in winter. Blue tier is a no go due to closure but the network around the township of Derby is open. My advice, bring warm gear, it was super cold up there. The rain was not much of an issue, once you gain height it drains quite well. Hats off to the build, it copes very well with the wet. By far one of the best loops in the wet is Krushka, it is a loop that rides well in any weather and you will not get sick of doing it. Return to Sender was a bit muddier but still rode well. We head up to Derby 5-6 times a year and can not get enough of the place, it's fantastic that finally the powers that be have finally seen the potential in this state. We are very excited about Maydena down south, this will be a game changer.

Something for almost everyone

Over the last couple of years I have been to Derby on 5 separate occasions. It's great to witness the development of the trails, now almost everyone will find a trail to their liking at Derby.

The middle section of the new Blue Tier trail is the best riding I have ever enjoyed, Return to Sender isn't far behind.

Certainly worth the effort to get there, so much easier to travel to Derby than to Rotorua since the direct flights to Rotorua stopped.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
The middle section of the new Blue Tier trail is the best riding I have ever enjoyed, Return to Sender isn't far behind.

Certainly worth the effort to get there
great to hear! looking forward to november when I head over there.

Whats the go with EWS stages, are they marked out and easy to find? Keen to hit those up.

rstim

Likes Dirt
great to hear! looking forward to november when I head over there.

Whats the go with EWS stages, are they marked out and easy to find? Keen to hit those up.
Yeah everything is sign posted well and you'll have no trouble finding the EWS stages. The bluederby website has a good map to familiarise yourself with the trails available.

The network of trails is about to expand again they received another grant and will begin construction soon on some new family friendly green trails around the old mine hole across the river. Also I believe they are building another trail like return to sender, a link between Atlas and Trouty and a possibly a DH track.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yeah, as rstim said, they are easy to find as they are now part of the network.

Stage one was the final descent on the Dambuster trail.

Stage two threw you down the full tilt Detonate trail and the lower half of Flickty Sticks.

Stage three was the last descent of Return to Sender.

Stage four was Upper Shearpin, into old Shearpin and 23 Stitches.

Stage five was Black Dragon trail.

Stage six was my favourite, Trouty!

Stage seven went down the new Monument trail.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Awesome thanks for the info. I Did a clinic at green valleys on weekend and one of the participants raced ews and suggested we look it up!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

maimed

Squid
Is January a decent time to head to Derby. I ask because I although it is in the middle of summer, I am not sure if Tassie really gets all that hot.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Is January a decent time to head to Derby. I ask because I although it is in the middle of summer, I am not sure if Tassie really gets all that hot.
Yeah January will be good, might get some days over 30 degrees but most likely mid 20s but nearly all the trails are under tree canopy so temps in the bush are not to bad. Trails might be a bit dry and dusty in places but they still all ride really well. Added bonus is when your finished riding you can go for a swim in the river at that time of the year.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Believe it or not Tassie does get 40C days, but they are pretty unusual, maybe 1 or 2 a year, and virtually never back to back. You'll be right, probably most of the trails will be dusty as all get out and as long as you don't mind lumping around a bit of water then it will be sweet. Most likely temps will be between the low and high 20s, although be warned that the sun in Tassie is farkin' strong.

Edit: rstim beat me to it, and yes the a post ride river swim is tremendous!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yes, I would say prob the best time of year to go (locals will confirm), but there is still no guarantee that blue Tier will be open. We were there December last year and Blue Tier was closed due to a 2 day deluge of rain.

Weather wise, the whole month of December didn't get above 24°C and it was beautiful riding weather, hanging around 21°C on an average day.