Derby in Tassi

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Also some of the black diamond stuff is quite tight around trees/ rocks so dont bring your 800 mm ape hanger handlebars.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Rock slab angle, remember in this case the camera does flatten it and that this is straight not like a berm where there is "centrifugal" force.
Fortunately the rock is really grippy so if you hold good speed you'll sail straight across. If it has mud or moss on it, it can be a different matter.;)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
All those "likes".
Never realised 'ape hangers" were so popular.
Dont see them up this way the trees are too close to the track.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
All those "likes".
Never realised 'ape hangers" were so popular.
Dont see them up this way the trees are too close to the track.
I’m heading down with hifi and no way I’m cutting my bars down.

It’s tight here too, so I learned how to turn them so I don’t smack my nuckles on trees
(I scrape my shoulders plenty though, can’t have it all).

Expect some carnage photo’s. Last time I was in derby I had a huge crash within the first half hour of riding on the first day haha! Mr’s Ultra was not impressed.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I dont think having an injury in the first few hours is a great idea.
One friend had planned to be at Whistler for a month but crashed out the first day.
Being a calculating risk taker my theory is to ride at 85% until the last couple of days then up the ante .
Next trip will be a week so I can take my time and hope to ride the single blacks.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Rock slab angle, remember in this case the camera does flatten it and that this is straight not like a berm where there is "centrifugal" force.
love that shit....... bring on more of it............really lean it in. Can't wait to be back at Derby again. Looking forward to hitting up Mersey this time round too.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
One friend had planned to be at Whistler for a month but crashed out the first day.
Being a calculating risk taker my theory is to ride at 85% until the last couple of days then up the ante .
Next trip will be a week so I can take my time and hope to ride the single blacks.
ppft, what do you know about the human body and great ideas?

I calculated the risk last time. Shouldn't have skipped so much maffs in school though.

Seriously cannot wait to head down. Changed grips on the bike in preperation, shortened the chain, and will retape the chainstay.
It's gonna be a slow week at work.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Gotta fit my new front tyre & give her a once over. Both suspensionseses are working fine, at the hand of me. God knows how I do it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Fortunately the rock is really grippy so if you hold good speed you'll sail straight across. If it has mud or moss on it, it can be a different matter.;)
Or have second thoughts halfway across... or try and turn when you think your line is off

Yeah, take it easy on the first few days, your balls swell at a massive rate everyday when you are Derby, stuff that looked borderline on day 1... by day 3 you'll be wondering what the issue was.
On our last day of the first visit before Maydena, #1 hit the pump track hard and took a lot of bark off his elbow, so Scottsdale hospital got a visit, they said we were the 3 hospital injury from that pump track these school hols.

Most of you have seen this vid of my 12 & 13yr old boys, its been posted on this thread 7-8 pages back. They rode all the trails numerous times apart from the chute on Detonate and I reckon there was 1 rocky section on Shearpin that I wouldn't allow them to do. Get yourself some breezy elbow pads, as said, the Granite is like a cheese grater and if you want to ride the chute on Detonate, unless you have speed and confidence, you will grind your elbows off.
Also none of us did the big gap on Kumma Gutza, its an 8-10m gap, my balls have never got that size.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Here's how rough the Derby granite is.

Yeah, I'm a rock thief ! When we go places, the kids look for a roundish rock from where we go, when we get home, we write on it where we found it and it gets put up on a shelf in the garage. This is about 70-80mm roundish, came from the top of Detonate... its grippy for sure !

You most definitely do not want to grip it with your skin :oops:

Last edited:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I'm looking at heading up in February with a few mates. I've been there once before about 2 years ago pretty much when I was just getting into mountain biking and had more money than skill. We just did Atlas and Blue Tier, we tried to do Trouty but were too shit for it. Since then we've progressed quite a bit but I am still worried we will not be able to ride all the trails there.
Can anyone recommend a few trails in VIC that might have comparable difficulty to the ones in Derby?
Well, I ride Derby regularly and the You Yangs kicked my arse.
Busted up my bike and my foot is still sore 2 weeks later. Some of it really reminded me of Derby - the dirt tastes very similar.